Page 355 of 381

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Posted: 12 Feb 2018, 19:11
by jimboo
Neige wrote:We watched this on TV last night, quite accidentally.

Image

It had several laugh-out-loud moments
I loved the lovingly conjured-up 70's vibe
I'd never thought Ryan Gosling would be any good at slapstick...

In short: nothing earth-shattering but great fun!


I enjoyed it too ,good fun indeed.

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Posted: 12 Feb 2018, 22:30
by Snarfyguy
Image

A big hit with the six year-old, I enjoyed this as well, but now I've got that goddamned Jay and The Americans song stuck in my head. :x

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Posted: 13 Feb 2018, 11:03
by Dr Markus
Will & Grace.

It was like they were never away to be honest. They kinda advertised that they were going after trump with their jokes, so I was a bit weary of the same tired jokes about him. However, they were funny, a change from the norm. Setting the scene for the first episode stretched a bit too far but didn't take away from the fun of it. Welcome back folks.

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Posted: 13 Feb 2018, 11:35
by Darkness_Fish
Snarfyguy wrote:Image

A big hit with the six year-old, I enjoyed this as well, but now I've got that goddamned Jay and The Americans song stuck in my head. :x

My 10 year old liked it, but I basically sank into a pit of existential despair. I don't even begin to understand how this shit gets made, it's incoherent nonsense with no sense of excitement or character or plot or fucking anything. It's just a monument to glibness.

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Posted: 13 Feb 2018, 11:38
by Dr Markus
Thought it was a let down from the first one. Suffered from too many laughs in the wrong places, and the soundtrack didn't hold up compared to the first.

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Posted: 13 Feb 2018, 11:51
by Geezee
The Great Defector wrote:Will & Grace.

It was like they were never away to be honest. They kinda advertised that they were going after trump with their jokes, so I was a bit weary of the same tired jokes about him. However, they were funny, a change from the norm. Setting the scene for the first episode stretched a bit too far but didn't take away from the fun of it. Welcome back folks.


Is this not meant for the TV thread or have they made a movie of it?

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Posted: 13 Feb 2018, 11:55
by Dr Markus
Fuck the system, POWER TO THE PEOPLE MUTHAFUCKERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Posted: 14 Feb 2018, 05:26
by Matt Wilson
Image
Night of the Living Dead

The granddaddy of zombie movies gets the Criterion treatment. 4K scan, two commentaries, a bonus disc of extras. Any questions?

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Posted: 14 Feb 2018, 16:21
by pcqgod
Image

I, Tonya (2017)

'I, Tonya' adopts that 'Wolf of Wall Street' style of narration of past events, with lots of fourth wall breaking. In this case, the story is told by several participants and/or close observers, but the focus of the movie is on Tonya, Jeff Gilooly and Tonya's mom. Tonya is painted as a rebel who was never given her fair shake, a victim of an abusive boyfriend and mother, but the movie somehow doesn't come across as too much of an apologist version of figure skating's greatest scandal. And despite the occasional comic turn the movie takes and the "I did it my way" ending, it is ultimately a tragedy.

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Posted: 14 Feb 2018, 16:33
by Snarfyguy
^^^ I'm interested in that. Does it debunk the Kerrigan/Harding narrative that was essentially that of a "good" girl vs. a trashy one? Or is the counter-narrative itself insufficiently nuanced? I guess I could read up on it, but what's your take?

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Posted: 14 Feb 2018, 17:34
by pcqgod
Snarfyguy wrote:^^^ I'm interested in that. Does it debunk the Kerrigan/Harding narrative that was essentially that of a "good" girl vs. a trashy one? Or is the counter-narrative itself insufficiently nuanced? I guess I could read up on it, but what's your take?


Nancy Kerrigan is a surprisingly small character in this movie. Hardly any time is devoted to exploring the relationship between the two skaters, other than Tonya (as played by Margot Robbie) asserting that they were friends. For her part, Tonya embraces her status as a rednecky rebel.

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Posted: 15 Feb 2018, 13:18
by driftin
Snarfyguy wrote:^^^ I'm interested in that. Does it debunk the Kerrigan/Harding narrative that was essentially that of a "good" girl vs. a trashy one? Or is the counter-narrative itself insufficiently nuanced? I guess I could read up on it, but what's your take?

The film's take is that she's neither good or bad. She has a very small role in the conspiracy, she doesn't want to hurt Nancy physically, and before the attack happens, ends up not very interested in the plan at all, instead focusing on practising rather than conspiring. She is at fault in a very minor way but it's mostly her idiot friend and abusive husband who end up dragging her down.

As for the good girl vs trashy girl narrative, the film simply shows that Tonya wants to be judged on her skating, not her image, and her taste and background is unfairly attacked by the institution and media.

I enjoyed the film a lot.

I also enjoyed these a lot:

Image
The music's quite cheesy but what a colourful, creative, energetic film that celebrates life and being human. This is what I needed after a terrible January and February.

Image

Like most Guillermo Del Toro's best films this is a perfect balance of the sublime and the ridiculous. I'll never look at egg-timers again in the same way.

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Posted: 15 Feb 2018, 16:12
by Dr Markus
driftin wrote:
Image

Like most Guillermo Del Toro's best films this is a perfect balance of the sublime and the ridiculous. I'll never look at egg-timers again in the same way.


I really want to like Del Toro's film more than I do, but there's just something that puts me off. Not too sure what it is.

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Posted: 16 Feb 2018, 07:25
by PENK
The Great Defector wrote:
driftin wrote:
Image

Like most Guillermo Del Toro's best films this is a perfect balance of the sublime and the ridiculous. I'll never look at egg-timers again in the same way.


I really want to like Del Toro's film more than I do, but there's just something that puts me off. Not too sure what it is.


Maybe his substitution of awkward-if-lavish fantasy elements for real emotion or story?

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Posted: 16 Feb 2018, 16:13
by Dr Markus
PENK wrote:
The Great Defector wrote:
driftin wrote:
Image

Like most Guillermo Del Toro's best films this is a perfect balance of the sublime and the ridiculous. I'll never look at egg-timers again in the same way.


I really want to like Del Toro's film more than I do, but there's just something that puts me off. Not too sure what it is.


Maybe his substitution of awkward-if-lavish fantasy elements for real emotion or story?



:o

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Posted: 17 Feb 2018, 04:55
by Matt Wilson
Image
Interiors

Don't really know how to respond to this. Allen got an oscar nod for his direction for this picture, but not next year's Manhattan. The acting is fine, in particular Stapleton's and Page's performances, but for all the sturm and drang, it seems empty somehow - as if Allen wanted to see how he would fare making an Ingmar Bergman picture. And this was while Bergman was still in his prime. Thing is, why would you want to watch this when you can see the real thing? Autumn Sonata was released two months later.

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Posted: 17 Feb 2018, 13:12
by PresMuffley
^Pretty much my thoughts.

Bergman does comedy (Smiles of a Summer Night) much better than Allen does depression.

Interiors is the most beige film I can recall watching. A pathos-laden advert for chinos.

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Posted: 17 Feb 2018, 13:20
by Minnie Cheddars
McCabe and Mrs Miller last night. Jaw dropping.

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Posted: 17 Feb 2018, 17:20
by Goat Boy
Such a great, beautiful film!

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Posted: 18 Feb 2018, 02:04
by Minnie Cheddars
Goat Boy wrote:Such a great, beautiful film!


It is!
I didn't think it was Julie Christie's best performance though. I don't know why. I found it a bit wooden and her accent really grated.