Return of the RECENT VIEWING

..and why not?
Sneelock

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Postby Sneelock » 08 Nov 2017, 21:14

man, I think that whole "learning to help the old guy cheat at cards" section is fantastic!
uggy poopy doody.

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 08 Nov 2017, 21:48

PENK wrote:You go to the cinema to see pretty pictures. There are few prettier than Barry Lyndon.

Several years after seeing it I couldn't begin to tell you what the fuck happened, who any of the characters were (there was a duel early on and he got into playing cards). But I remember so many gorgeous visual details. Wonderful stuff.

Yeah, if you want to talk about what the movie is "about," it's not really about the story of the guy (who's something of a pissant anyway). It's more about the mode or perception you're in looking at a roomful of gruesome fops lit only by dozens of candles and filmed with some kind of bitching, far-out lens. It's just about the feeling you get from the visuals and sound.

Fuck the plot. Plot, schmot. Every other movie has one of those (except the really good ones).
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 08 Nov 2017, 22:51

A bunch of egos preen and ponce about trying to accumulate wealth and status. Barry is a cypher, a cheap conman who manages to work his way up through society by being a twat and then he loses it all and ends up with one leg.

I like the ending. It almost made me laugh out loud.

What a pantomime. What a performance. What silly creatures we are.

The end.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 08 Nov 2017, 23:43

Image ImageImage

The Mel Brooks Collection
Nine of the maestro's works (strangely, no Producers though) which vary in quality - as you would expect. Blazing Saddles and Young Frankenstein continue to tower above the rest, but Silent Movie, High Anxiety, and even Spaceballs have their moments.

Topper
Cute, but no more than that, late '30s comedy which has just been restored and looks pristine. I love old movies and thoroughly enjoyed this one.

Paths of Glory
Now this is a classic. Kubrick wouldn't make a better film until Strangelove. Maybe not even then.

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 09 Nov 2017, 14:48

Saw that Thor: Ragnarok thing. I didn't expect to like it, but it was a lot of fun. Our six year-old was enthralled.
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 10 Nov 2017, 04:22

21 Grams

Outstanding acting from Penn, Del Toro and Watts highlight this minor gem from '03. Hollywood doesn't seem to make dramas like this anymore. There's not enough room in the Marvel universe, I guess.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 10 Nov 2017, 08:53

If…

Ahhhh, the 60s.

Watching this I was thinking about the influence of the public schools on the behaviour and attitude of our politicians, mostly Tory ones. You can still see that public school boy cruelty, love of hierarchy, tradition and all that tough love bollocks in the current lot. That made me angry.

It’s a funny movie because it manages to be both very much of its time (Year of the barricades) but also strangely out of time so the actual set up of the school is like something from the 1920s. When did this sorta thing die out? It wasn’t still going in 1968, was it?

It’s odd too how it manages to start off with a documentary style realism but then it increasingly becomes more fantastical until it ends us as a revolutionary allegory. Not all of it works. I was a bit puzzled by the girls character. She says about three lines, joins their gang and ends up killing the headmaster. It just seemed very underwritten. Travis is pretty superficial too. His revolutionary ardour is suitably adolescent but I would have liked him to be a bit more, I dunno, aware, politically conscious, that sorta thing.

It doesn't present any solutions either but then how can it and why should it? That's not the point. It's a howl, a clenched fist, a "FUCK YOU" and on that level it works.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 10 Nov 2017, 10:24

I think it was very much going on in 1968. Public schools haven't changed all that much.
Nice review. You make a good point about Christine Noonan who I felt had a real screen presence, but, as you say, is a strangely marginal figure in the film. Reflective of the patriarchy of the time I think.
I love the line "And I thought it was just a bit of wool on your tit". It's the sheer contempt with which McDowell says it.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 10 Nov 2017, 12:33

The lasses step dad went to public school back then so I'll ask him.

It's such a perverted environment.

McDowell should have been a huge star.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 10 Nov 2017, 12:36

Goat Boy wrote:McDowell should have been a huge star.

That's what I always think, why happened or did he actually want to be (going by his earlier film choices)? Might be worth a thread on it's own.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 10 Nov 2017, 13:50

The Great Defector wrote:

That's what I always think, why happened or did he actually want to be (going by his earlier film choices)? Might be worth a thread on it's own.

he went after the money pure amd simple.
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

Neige
Alpine Numpty
Location: On 2 oz of plastic with a hole in the middle (of nowhere)

Postby Neige » 12 Nov 2017, 10:12

Jeemo wrote:

Yeah, and when playing the arch-opportunist Travis in Oh Lucky Man, he was probably just being himself. :P
Thumpety-thump beats plinkety-plonk every time. - Rayge

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 12 Nov 2017, 15:17

A few enjoyable plane watches:
'The Big Sick' by Kumail Nanjiani loosely based on his relationship with his girlfriend Emily - funny and sweet, 'The Secret Life of Pets' which was cute, a great sitcom 'Better Things' about an LA actress in her forties and her family, but my favourite was a film called 'Norman' starring Richard Gere - he played it beautifully and looked alarmingly like my Dad especially when he wore his flat cap. I would thoroughly recommend it.
As the credits rolled I saw both Life of Pets has a lead character with Louis CKs voice (and Spacey too I think) and that Better Things was produced by Louis CK so presumably they will disappear from view sometime soon.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 14 Nov 2017, 00:15

driftin wrote:Image

Jackie Chan was seriously hurting himself and everyone else decades before The Raid. Awesome.

I watched the first two in that series again recently. Incredible stuff.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 14 Nov 2017, 00:37

American Made (2017)

Entertaining drama/comedy based on the disputed story of an American pilot who (if the story is accurate) managed to spy for the U.S., smuggle guns in Reagan's secret war against the Sandinistas in Nicaragua, smuggle Contras into the U.S. for secret training, all the while smuggling product for the Medellin cartel and...well it gets pretty complicated. The "Wolf of Wall Street"/"Big Short" twisted success story formula seems a bit familiar, but it works.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 14 Nov 2017, 09:47

Decent enough hokey horror, following the lad from Hetty Wainthrop Investigates as he cages a young woman in a forgotten part of some kind of dog pound.
Last edited by Darkness_Fish on 14 Nov 2017, 16:00, edited 1 time in total.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 14 Nov 2017, 14:40

This was loads of fun.

Also,

Very good indeed. Michael Shannon's breakout role, I suppose.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 14 Nov 2017, 16:06

Snarfyguy wrote:Image

This was loads of fun.

I like that one a lot, although it was Night of the Demon over here. I love the fact that the murderer/coma-patient who goes bezerk is Brian Wilde, a character actor best known for playing ineffectual, slightly pathetic figures in sitcoms.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 14 Nov 2017, 16:12

Total classic!

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 15 Nov 2017, 07:53

Jeemo wrote:

Probably. In his defence there was very little film industry in Britain to stay for in the 70s. If he'd stayed he'd have combined theatre with tv work, like most of his contemporaries. Once he went to The States, he worked regularly, but not in very prestigious things. I guess often the roles you get are only as good as your agent. Like most actors, he prioritised working over being very picky about his roles.

Return to “Screenadelica”