Return of the RECENT VIEWING

..and why not?
Brickyard Jack

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Postby Brickyard Jack » 19 Feb 2018, 20:13

I went to see Coco during half term and thought it was ace.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 19 Feb 2018, 22:42

Blade runner 2049.

As a stand alone, I thought it was great. The story line was a bit much. Now i know its a sci fi and set in the future, but even the "miracle" was a bit too much to believe in. As a follow on, it just lacks the true noir of the original. It looked a little too slick, whereas the original looked grubby and dirty as fuck. Kept expecting Alex and his droogs to show up out of nowhere when K went to that Vegas type place. It reminded me of the milk bar.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 20 Feb 2018, 00:01

The Great Defector wrote: Kept expecting Coan and his droogs to show up out of nowhere when K went to that Vegas type place.

:o

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 20 Feb 2018, 00:05

The Modernist wrote:
The Great Defector wrote: Kept expecting Coan and his droogs to show up out of nowhere when K went to that Vegas type place.

:o

:lol:
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

PresMuffley

Postby PresMuffley » 20 Feb 2018, 00:45

Some guy by the name of Benny Boom directed this. It was his first film. It should be his last.
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 21 Feb 2018, 17:26

My mum's popped round for tea, so I'm streaming this from youtube in the kitchen via my phone. Never actually watched a film on youtube before, nor done the streaming thing. I feel like I've just entered cheat codes for the 21st century.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

`

Postby ` » 23 Feb 2018, 08:06

Darkness_Fish wrote:Image

My mum's popped round for tea, so I'm streaming this from youtube in the kitchen via my phone. Never actually watched a film on youtube before, nor done the streaming thing. I feel like I've just entered cheat codes for the 21st century.

If one of the biggest benefits the 21st century has to offer us is watching films on phones, please count me out...

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 23 Feb 2018, 08:13

caramba wrote:

No
If one of the biggest benefits the 21st century has to offer us is watching films on phones, please count me out...

Sorry, perhaps I didn't make it clear. I was watching it on telly, via my phone. I mean ... Mind.... Blown.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

`

Postby ` » 23 Feb 2018, 09:48

Darkness_Fish wrote:
caramba wrote:

No

Sorry, perhaps I didn't make it clear. I was watching it on telly, via my phone. I mean ... Mind.... Blown.

No worries, I'm a bit of a numpty when it comes to all these hi-tech doo-dads

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 24 Feb 2018, 18:02

The Silence of the Lambs

Still holds up, and I'm gonna say it's better than Se7en in terms of '90s serial killer movies. I also like it better than Manhunter - the first film with Hannibal in it. The '90s were great for film - much better than the '80s for me, and there's no comparison to the 21st Century - where everything seems to be about the Marvel universe, sequels, or inane comedies.

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 24 Feb 2018, 19:28

I agree it's better than Se7en but can't separate it from Manhunter.
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 24 Feb 2018, 20:06

I prefer both Seven and Manhunter. They're both flawed in some ways, one by Brad Pitt, one by being the 80s, but I just don't get the appeal of Hammy Hopkins.

the masked man
Schadenfreude

Postby the masked man » 24 Feb 2018, 20:55

Watched Shaun Of The Dead again last night, with director's commentary. Still stands up as one of the best British films of the 21st century. Granted, that's not exactly high praise in itself, given the poor quality of most Brit flicks, but this film fizzles with ideas. As the commentary points out, Edgar Wright's debut feature is very cleverly put together, with highly detailed frames where a lot happens in the background, a trick learned from Tati. And, as it features a very strong cast of British (and Irish) tv comic talent, the performances are very strong, inevitably.

What I took away from this viewing is how in the climax at the Winchester, the humour almost completely disappears for a while to be replaced by genuine tension and pathos. That's not an easy transition to make, but the drama is so well paced that it achieves this with ease. Inspired film-making.

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 25 Feb 2018, 16:38

Black Panther (2018)

Not the greatest Marvel movie to date as some early reviews would have you believe, but overall another success for the MCU, injecting some tense family drama and real-world issues to the more fantastic elements of the story. Michael B. Jordan is terrific as the lead villain, who is frankly more interesting than the lead character played by Chadwick Boseman. Andy Serkis gives his best villainous performance since Gollum and Martin Freeman does a good job of playing Martin Freeman. The movie suffers from featuring too much technology that might as well be magic (typical in MCU movies), especially in its use of "vibranium," a metal/fabric?/weapon/forcefield/cure for gun shots. BP being one of the more down-to-earth characters in the Marvel universe, I would have hoped the action would be more street-level brawling, but ultimately this could almost be another Star Wars movie with the amount of cgi characters and ships flying around. I realize that you have to strike a balance in superhero movie, but if three straight Captain America movies walked the perfect line between f/x and kick-ass fight scenes, it can be done!
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 25 Feb 2018, 20:58

Looks lovely, has a great cast, managed to be confusing and completely uninteresting at the same time.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 26 Feb 2018, 09:27

Ultra-low budget 'found footage' horror, with a cast of one, directed by the same fella, shot entirely in his own house. He's not a particularly engaging lead, but I think it's his mild irritation at being confronted with the supernatural that makes the film. Quite entertaining, surprisingly.

`

Postby ` » 26 Feb 2018, 09:52

Looks lovely, has a great cast, managed to be confusing and completely uninteresting at the same time.

Magnificent cast aside and given that there's already a classic 5-hour, 7-part TV adaptation with Alec Guinness as Smiley, never seen the point of this 2-hour movie. Ultimately, its comparative brevity means most of the plot nuances for which Le Carre is famed will have to be glossed over. As someone (possibly the author himself) famously remarked of movie adaptations of novels like TTSS: "it's like trying to squeeze a buffalo into something the size of an OXO cube"

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 26 Feb 2018, 12:14

I thought Tinker Tailor... was compelling. Beautifully shot and intelligent.

Not sure if we should be amused or insulted by the way the DVD cover replaces Toby Jones with a pretty lady!
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 26 Feb 2018, 12:49

I loved it too, but had no idea of what was going on half the time.
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 27 Feb 2018, 13:59

Serpico

I didn’t think this was quite at the level as the best Hollywood films of the 70s but there’s a lot to recommend it. I’m a sucker for any film set in New York during that period anyway because I just love watching the city. I know the place had serious problems back then but there’s something so evocative about the place. Anyway, Pacino is great as the counterculture hero proving one man can actually make a difference and it has that gritty 70s realism that elevates movies from that period. I didn’t think it was too long either.

Persona

Every time I see it it’s a different experience for me. This time I viewed it more as a battle between two halves of the same person and the desire for both halves to achieve union. Sorta like Performance where you have Chas and Turner. Unlike Performance, however, there is no union, the public persona and soul remain tragically apart. I've talked about it before in the Film Club but it’s a hard movie to talk about because even though there are recognisable themes and ideas it somehow always seems tantalisingly out of your grasp. I think its greatness is that it manages to be both elusive yet profound. I've seen it 4 times now and I still don't full understand it all and I never will. It's huge, beautiful, mysterious, a film to get lost in and to return to again and again.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

Return to “Screenadelica”