Return of the RECENT VIEWING

..and why not?
Darkness_Fish

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Postby Darkness_Fish » 11 Jun 2017, 21:15

You know what? I like all The Purge films so far, and I think this was a big improvement on the second one. The narrative arc of the three films has been a little odd though. The first introduced the concept of "the purge" but then didn't do an awful lot with it, focusing on one family under siege. The second then tried to do more about the morality of violence, whilst also showing that killing was kinda funky to watch on TV, and ripped off a bit of The Running Man while it did it. This one is either a clunky political commentary, or a series of stylish nightmare set pieces strung together for fun.
Saving my holier-than-thou nonsense for a more deserving cause since '82

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 15 Jun 2017, 02:12

Planet of the Apes Legacy Edition

All five of the original '68 - '73 films, with the first four being good-to-great. Only Battle for the Planet of the Apes is weak. I'd even go so far as to say that the original Planet of the Apes is something of a sci fi classic.

Jeemo

Postby Jeemo » 15 Jun 2017, 12:17

you wouldn't be wrong
Image So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

fire and fueryIre

Postby fire and fueryIre » 15 Jun 2017, 13:29

Having seen the movie not long after it originally came out in those far-off pre-internet days, remember the reveal at the end of the very first (Rod Serling-scripeted?) film as being a real WTF moment.

Anyone remember the awful mid-70s TV series they did with Roddy McDowell?

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 15 Jun 2017, 16:58

I do remember that series. I always forget that Roddy McDowell didn't play Cornelius in Beneath the Planet of the Apes, it was another actor. But returned for Escape from the Planet of the Apes, and then played Cesar in Conquest.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 15 Jun 2017, 17:00

Was actually trying to see the movie before on a cable movie channel, but caught the movie below, Eagle Huntress. Great father/daughter documentary on Mongolian eagle hunters and their annual contest. I highly recommend.

Sneelock wrote:You’ll like her better after she dies. Siouxsie won’t ever die. She’s a vampire or some shit.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 15 Jun 2017, 17:00

Matt Wilson wrote:Image

All five of the original '68 - '73 films, with the first four being good-to-great. Only Battle for the Planet of the Apes is weak. I'd even go so far as to say that the original Planet of the Apes is something of a sci fi classic.

Something?

The first two definitely are.
Sneelock wrote:You’ll like her better after she dies. Siouxsie won’t ever die. She’s a vampire or some shit.

The Great Defector

Postby The Great Defector » 16 Jun 2017, 18:08

sloopjohnc wrote:

Something?

The remakes have been brilliant, obviously not Burton's mess. I'm looking forward to the upcoming one.
Loki wrote:You Brit boys are so contentious!

The Great Defector

Postby The Great Defector » 19 Jun 2017, 14:13

Seen this on the weekend. It was serviceable without being excellent. Brown and Mani came across excited and giddy as kids during the whole thing. While an homage it was good to see that when the band fucked up, (Reni leaving before the encore at a European gig), meadows just showed it for what it is. I was never a big fan of fools gold, but the amazing just long enough solo by Squire at the end just shows why I prefer him to Marr. Reni comes across as a bit bi polar, when he's on point he's the funniest bastard in the room, but when he's not, stand the fuck back.
Loki wrote:You Brit boys are so contentious!

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 19 Jun 2017, 21:07

The Great Defector wrote:
sloopjohnc wrote:

Something?

The remakes have been brilliant, obviously not Burton's mess. I'm looking forward to the upcoming one.

I've liked them too. By the looks of the trailer, I''m taking a wait and see attitude.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 20 Jun 2017, 05:57

The Valachi Papers

Released more or less at the same time as The Godfather, this is nowhere near as good, but nonetheless, a much more true-to-life account of Mafia life in the first half of the twentieth century. Made by Dino De Laurentiis, and directed by James Bond auteur, Terence Young, this follows Joseph Valachi's story of life as a Cosa Nostra lieutenant in New York in the '30s - '50s. Valachi was the first Mafia informant in US history and as such, his story holds much weight. Much of what we know of Mob life comes from his words. The production is cheap, and the Italian budget shows, but I've always kinda liked it. Twilight Time's new blu sports the best transfer I've ever seen of this forgotten film.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 20 Jun 2017, 14:33

The Marriage of Maria Braun

I’ve only seen one other Fassbinder (something with Dirk Bogarde I think a while ago) but I thought this was great. Maria isn’t a sympathetic character, and if it wasn’t for her devotion to her husband you’d think she was sociopathic but she’s fascinating and admirable too as she works her way up through the ruins of post-war German society. If her motivation in the beginning appears righteous - to provide a future for her and her husband - it’s clear that she loses her way very quickly and by the end she’s lost her soul. What was interesting to me was how Fassbinder linked Brauns behaviour to the psychological impact of the war on those who survived as the post-war economic boom kicks in. It’s something I’d never really thought about.
Lord Rother wrote:Missing the sublime sense of melody which David Longdon brought to the group but nonetheless a damn fine album.

Big Big Train - Goodbye To The Age of Steam

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 20 Jun 2017, 20:36

I haven't seen this since it was new. Really good movie.
Jimbo wrote:Look, all I know is pretty much what I get from Robert Parry over at Consortium News.

algroth

Postby algroth » 20 Jun 2017, 23:03

I saw The Net today with my grandmother, we both enjoyed it greatly. It's a film very much in the style of The Lives of Others and Omar amidst others, about a North Korean fisherman who upon getting his fishing net entangled on his propeller and drifting off to the South Korean shores, is accused of being a spy and is thus faced with the most oppressive and authoritative face of liberalism and so-called 'freedom'. There are two ways the film could have gone about this, one being to demonize the capitalist culture of South Korea and show its 'true face' as the real dictatorial and oppressive system, the other being the humanitarian position that sees in both systems similarities and an opposition to true freedom for the individual; needless to say, the film goes for the latter. The protagonist is no less the common 'brainwashed' North Korean, he is supportive of his government to a fault, he's been indoctrinated and it's the only lifestyle he's known - but is enforcing an alternative lifestyle out of your culture's belief that it is how he's ensured freedom, not in its own way acting against the individual's freedom? Above all else his wish is to be reunited with his family again, yet this is an act that is made impossible both by the South Korean *and* North Korean authorities; thus the conflict's axis turns to be not between North and South, but between individual and state - in either iteration - instead. It's not perfect: some of the characters are written a bit too one-dimensionally as villains, and that does lend the film a slightly preachy tone from time to time; likewise, I think the film could have done without its last ten or so minutes. All the same, it's an interesting case told from a unique perspective, which ultimately makes for a quite moving and compelling film. Worth a watch!

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 22 Jun 2017, 06:37

Kiss of Death

Quintessential film noir with Richard Widmark's first performance as the psychopathic Tommy Udo. He's so good that even though he's only onscreen for maybe fifteen minutes, you're waiting for him to reappear for the duration of the picture.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 22 Jun 2017, 09:42

Slightly disappointed with this. The performances seem largely stilted, the dialogue tries for a number of one-liners that don't hit the mark, and it all feels a little clunky. Just doesn't have the charm or fun of the original.
Saving my holier-than-thou nonsense for a more deserving cause since '82

Tactful Cactus

Postby Tactful Cactus » 22 Jun 2017, 11:35

Loved it. Not a sci-fi head, I knew very little about Dune but I loved Jodorowskys energy and passion onscreen (how many times did he say 'spiritual' ?) and loved how it never got made but the fantasy grew, like a lost album. It could never have lived up to his dream, but just imagine, Dali, Jagger, Welles etc.. :D

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 24 Jun 2017, 06:47

Hannie Caulder

Raquel Welch's best western is still fairly mundane, even by early '70s standards. A rape-revenge story which really isn't convincing with a feminist reading and is probably best enjoyed as a straight oater with some standard character actors giving their all (Ernest Borgnine, Strother Martin, Jack Elam). Not terrible, but not great, either. But I'm just gonna say it: Raquel was one of the most beautiful women ever to grace the screen.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 25 Jun 2017, 05:17

They Live by Night

Nicholas Ray's first feature still holds up as a prime example of romantic noir. The first (as far as I know) of the lovers-on-the-run films and the clear predecessor of Gun Crazy, Bonnie & Clyde, Thieves Like Us, Badlands, Natural Born Killers, et al.

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 25 Jun 2017, 10:04

Looks like Matt and I are on a noir binge at the same time.

I actually toyed with watching They Live By Night this evening. Instead I opted for this one:Image

It's a pretty fascinating thing. Noir meets staged documentary. Incredible looking film.

Speaking of which - also saw The Maltese Falcon on a big screen earlier in the day.
Marginal BCB contributor since 2006