Return of the RECENT VIEWING

..and why not?
Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Postby Minnie the Minx » 26 May 2017, 14:43

KATANGA MY FRIEND! wrote:
Ranking Ted wrote:
Minnie the Minx wrote:We watched Crimes and Misdemeanours last night, my first time of seeing it. What a great film.

Yes, it's terrific. One where the balance of weighty drama and humour works.

Yes - it really does.

It's probably my favourite of his. Landau is spellbinding.

He is. He is. I have rarely been more furious with a character. His passivity that his privilege allowed him and the way he found internal peace, like some kind of blessed spirit hovering on the periphery of his own life, drove me bananas. The day after I saw it I was ranting at Baron in the car about him. I was still angry!
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 26 May 2017, 14:46

I had high hopes for this as I loved the first one, but at the end of the day, meh. The story and individual storylines falling in to place were fine, but their use of humor was over done. Moments when you were suppose to be worried or someone was suppose to come across as evil or menacing were ruined by needless jokes. This caused the characters building up to be seen as evil or menacing ruined with one line of humor. It also got a bit too touchy feely at the end as well. The song choice for certain scenes were so wrong and badly chosen it's was awful.

It was enjoyable but nothing new.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 27 May 2017, 01:23

K wrote:La La Land.

Probably the worst film I've seen in the past ten years.

Not seen Manchester by The Sea then?
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 28 May 2017, 20:16

K wrote:
Jeemo wrote:
K wrote:La La Land.

Probably the worst film I've seen in the past ten years.

:)
Review noted.

Manchester By The Sea is an incredible film.
“Remember I have said good things about benevolent despots before.” - Jimbo

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 28 May 2017, 20:34

Davey the Fat Boy wrote:
K wrote:
Jeemo wrote:

:)
Review noted.

I found it completely unengaging. Affleck who I like as an actor was totally blank, no real insight into grief. just staring and being silent. His nephew was a total pain in the arse. The use of the classical music was manipulative beyond belief after it being so low key through out. Apart from that.....
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 28 May 2017, 20:52

Horror comedy. The first half was really quite unfunny and irritating, pitching itself somewhere between The Office and the Simon Pegg and Nick Frost films, but falling far short of either. Seemed to think that cuntishness & quirkiness is automatically side-splitting. Once the satirical bit got into play (the new bosses are literally blooduckers, GEDDITT!!!) it improved a bit, but beyond a couple of clever moments, it never really felt like more than anything but a mild distraction.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 28 May 2017, 22:56

Jeemo wrote:
Davey the Fat Boy wrote:

I found it completely unengaging. Affleck who I like as an actor was totally blank, no real insight into grief. just staring and being silent. His nephew was a total pain in the arse. The use of the classical music was manipulative beyond belief after it being so low key through out. Apart from that.....

I can't speak for what engages you in a film. I can only speak for myself - and I thought it was one of the best films I've seen in years.

Being a person who works everyday with people in grief, I can't help but think you missed something. Some people just don't have the tools. That's a thing you really never see in film unless it's shown in the most ham-handed ways. Watching both of the male leads try to sidestep their grief was admittedly not fun. But I think the film is loaded with insight (though I think it's about alcoholism and the weight of history as much as it is about grief).

I do get when someone doesn't enjoy a film like this. But I think it's silly to argue that the film lacks substance.

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 28 May 2017, 23:26

Davey the Fat Boy wrote:
Jeemo wrote:
Davey the Fat Boy wrote:

I can't speak for what engages you in a film. I can only speak for myself - and I thought it was one of the best films I've seen in years.

Being a person who works everyday with people in grief, I can't help but think you missed something. Some people just don't have the tools. That's a thing you really never see in film unless it's shown in the most ham-handed ways. Watching both of the male leads try to sidestep their grief was admittedly not fun. But I think the film is loaded with insight (though I think it's about alcoholism and the weight of history as much as it is about grief).

I do get when someone doesn't enjoy a film like this. But I think it's silly to argue that the film lacks substance.

I never said it lacked substance. As to what engages me in a film, trying to put that into words is difficult. Because both main parts were so insular and enclosed, I found it hard to care about them. I'm not unsympathetic to their situation, I lost my dad when I was 14 to a very similar condition and had been ill since I was 9. I was looking forward to seeing it but it just didn't connect with me.
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 28 May 2017, 23:35

Yeah, I liked Manchester by the Sea too. It just goes to show you, nothing is going to connect with everyone.

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 28 May 2017, 23:38

My wife and son really liked it and I was looking forward to seeing it.
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 29 May 2017, 01:41

My apologies. You didn't say the film lacked substance. You said that Affleck's performance lacked insight.

My point is that he was playing someone who lacked insight.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 29 May 2017, 03:15

Affleck was great in that role. I hardly see how he could have done it better.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 29 May 2017, 21:04

Little-known indie-flick from 1975. Cellos, rubber, and the illicit thrills of water-sports seem to be the main thematic elements. Seriously though, watching it for the umpteenth time, I find it hard to see how a mainstream thriller/creature-feature could be handled any better. It doesn't waste a moment of its running time, exemplified by the ending where they blow the bugger to bits, and then the film stops. No need to show the homecoming, settle scores and tee up a sequel, just do the job, and piss off.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 29 May 2017, 21:26

And I don't think I voted for it at all in my top 50 films. Muppet.

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 30 May 2017, 16:36

Life (2017)

'Life' is the story of a group of scientists on the ISS who have never watched 'Alien' and don't realize that squelchy little tentacled life-forms from other planets are not to be trifled with and generally best avoided altogether. I felt like I had watched literally every second of this movie before.

Get Out (2017)

Effectively creepy and fun little film that plays on real-life paranoia, as many of the best horror movies tend to do.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 30 May 2017, 17:53

I found this mostly pretty funny!
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 31 May 2017, 16:16

Julia

Slightly tedious tale of Lillian Hellman's experiences in the WWII resistance which have mostly been exposed as fabrications since the film's opening. Mostly good turns from Fonda, Robards and everyone's favorite Holocaust denier, Vanessa Redgrave. One of those handsome-looking pictures which is almost completely uninvolving. A blind purchase, natch.

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 01 Jun 2017, 13:39

Fucking DeVito, man. I've never seen him put in a poor performance and he's fabulous in this.
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 01 Jun 2017, 19:43

KATANGA MY FRIEND! wrote:Image

Fucking DeVito, man. I've never seen him put in a poor performance and he's fabulous in this.

He's fantastic in Matilda which he also directed. Totally horrible character.
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

mentalist (slight return)
under mi sensi

Postby mentalist (slight return) » 02 Jun 2017, 03:45

I saw Alien Covenant. It was enjoyable. But I got a bit tired of the convenient plot twists. Oh yeah there's freaky aliens around so I'm just going to casually wander around away from the group. No problems bro. Holler if you need any help.
king of the divan

Return to “Screenadelica”