Return of the RECENT VIEWING

..and why not?
User avatar
clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible
Posts: 17043
Joined: 29 Sep 2007, 00:32
Location: down the rabbit hole

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Postby clive gash » 17 Apr 2018, 10:41

Image

What starts out as a breezy celebration turns thoroughly depressing. Loads of modern day footage as they trudge from Punk festival to Punk festival as their new line up delivers loose versions of the classics. Scabies, although ostracised from the new Damned, is clearly the heart of the thing. It’s heartbreaking to see him in tears when he talks about how things turned out.
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:...yet it quite clearly hit the target with you and your nonce, didn't it?


User avatar
Darkness_Fish
Posts: 6409
Joined: 27 Jul 2015, 09:58

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Postby Darkness_Fish » 17 Apr 2018, 14:28

Image

Not sure why this film has this particular title, or why they're so intent on marketing it as a horror. Really, it's attempting to be at the artier end of the spectrum, as it's a film which neither explains the circumstance of the characters, nor really what the end is. Or why that's the end.

Was ok, but not exciting.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

User avatar
Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure
Posts: 53094
Joined: 21 Jul 2003, 19:04
Location: New York

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Postby Snarfyguy » 17 Apr 2018, 14:30

hippopotamus wrote:
Goat Boy wrote:I don't find them too clever.

I do find them annoying from what I've seen though



I think it's a bit of a pity he's become such an Entity. The more I think of it, the more I don't think it makes much sense to lump all his films together, as though they are all trying to achieve the same thing. I suppose if you found his camera angles and general aesthetic offensive, that would probably be grounds to dismiss them all... and that's okay. I like some, I don't like some, I love two or three.

I find his relentless vertical and horizontal camera tracking visually tiresome - as though I'm trapped inside a video game or something.

Even so, I do find his some his movies engaging and I really did enjoy Isle of Dogs (and Grand Budapest Hotel).

Meanwhile,

Image

The new one from the guy who did The Lobster and Dogtooth. Plenty of disturbing weirdness, and it's since it's based on an ancient play by Euripides, it's okay that it doesn't really make sense. I liked it quite a bit.

Also, I, Tonya (a lot of fun, particularly the mother's performance), Three Billboards... (Sam Rockwell is great in it) and Lady Bird (good, but I already can't even remember it very well).
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

User avatar
Dor-Relip Hotels and Bathings
hounds people off the board
Posts: 19658
Joined: 24 Apr 2007, 23:21
Location: selling a self-detonating James Last CD to a Copenhagen thrift store

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Postby Dor-Relip Hotels and Bathings » 17 Apr 2018, 18:21

Snarfyguy wrote:Also, I, Tonya (a lot of fun, particularly the mother's performance), Three Billboards... (Sam Rockwell is great in it) and Lady Bird (good, but I already can't even remember it very well).


Agree completely with all of that. I think I liked I, Tonya the most.
GoogaMooga wrote:There's this joke about cowbells in the States, "More cowbell, we need more cowbell!".

User avatar
Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure
Posts: 53094
Joined: 21 Jul 2003, 19:04
Location: New York

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Postby Snarfyguy » 17 Apr 2018, 20:16

Oh, I forgot, I saw The Shape of Water, too. G. Del Toro's on a roll these days. Outstanding performances from all the leads, especially Michael Shannon's over-the-top villain.
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

User avatar
clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible
Posts: 17043
Joined: 29 Sep 2007, 00:32
Location: down the rabbit hole

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Postby clive gash » 17 Apr 2018, 20:30

Image

Where the Damned film bummed me out, this one makes me bounce around.
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:...yet it quite clearly hit the target with you and your nonce, didn't it?


User avatar
Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure
Posts: 53094
Joined: 21 Jul 2003, 19:04
Location: New York

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Postby Snarfyguy » 17 Apr 2018, 23:08

^^^ I have that in my Netflix queue, although I understand it received what are euphemistically called "mixed reviews." I'm encouraged to hear a dissenting opinion!
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

User avatar
Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint
Posts: 32796
Joined: 20 Mar 2007, 12:11
Location: In the perfumed garden

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Postby Goat Boy » 17 Apr 2018, 23:10

It’s alright. Nothing really new or illuminating but it’s nice just to visit their world
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.


Copehead wrote:we have lost touch with anything normal

User avatar
algroth
Posts: 5465
Joined: 04 Apr 2010, 03:12

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Postby algroth » 17 Apr 2018, 23:25

Snarfyguy wrote:^^^ I have that in my Netflix queue, although I understand it received what are euphemistically called "mixed reviews." I'm encouraged to hear a dissenting opinion!


Actually the reviews were rather positive all in all:

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/gimme_danger

User avatar
Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure
Posts: 53094
Joined: 21 Jul 2003, 19:04
Location: New York

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Postby Snarfyguy » 18 Apr 2018, 01:58

algroth wrote:
Snarfyguy wrote:^^^ I have that in my Netflix queue, although I understand it received what are euphemistically called "mixed reviews." I'm encouraged to hear a dissenting opinion!


Actually the reviews were rather positive all in all:

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/gimme_danger

[CRITICS' SCORE]

95%
Average Rating: 7/10
Reviews Counted: 100
Fresh: 95
Rotten: 5
Critics Consensus: Its infectious enthusiasm for its subjects - and Iggy Pop's ingratiating presence - more than make up for the effortlessly entertaining Gimme Danger's relative lack of context or depth.

AUDIENCE SCORE

68%
liked it
Average Rating: 3.6/5
User Ratings: 2,142


(my alteration and emphasis)

Hmm, okay. I suspect it's been graded on a curve by the critics, but I'm up for it!
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

User avatar
algroth
Posts: 5465
Joined: 04 Apr 2010, 03:12

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Postby algroth » 18 Apr 2018, 04:01

Oh, sure, that's why I said "rather" and not "very". But your use of "euphemistically" suggested the reviews were tending more to the negative side.

User avatar
hippopotamus
Posts: 947
Joined: 22 Dec 2015, 11:00

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Postby hippopotamus » 18 Apr 2018, 09:53

Snarfyguy wrote:I find his relentless vertical and horizontal camera tracking visually tiresome - as though I'm trapped inside a video game or something.

Even so, I do find his some his movies engaging and I really did enjoy Isle of Dogs (and Grand Budapest Hotel).


DId you think it was relentless in these last two? See... I think he's getting better.

Snarfyguy wrote:Meanwhile,

Image

The new one from the guy who did The Lobster and Dogtooth. Plenty of disturbing weirdness, and it's since it's based on an ancient play by Euripides, it's okay that it doesn't really make sense. I liked it quite a bit.

Also, I, Tonya (a lot of fun, particularly the mother's performance), Three Billboards... (Sam Rockwell is great in it) and Lady Bird (good, but I already can't even remember it very well).


Is it just weird for no reason like The Lobster?
I want to watch it, and no doubt people will keep suggesting it to me like the other two because apparently everyone thinks of me when they think of surreal, weird films.
Diamond Dog wrote:
nev gash wrote:What is point?


Indeed, what is point?

User avatar
Geezee
Posts: 12375
Joined: 24 Jul 2003, 10:14
Location: Where joy divides into vision

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Postby Geezee » 18 Apr 2018, 11:14

Snarfyguy wrote:
algroth wrote:
Snarfyguy wrote:^^^ I have that in my Netflix queue, although I understand it received what are euphemistically called "mixed reviews." I'm encouraged to hear a dissenting opinion!


Actually the reviews were rather positive all in all:

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/gimme_danger

[CRITICS' SCORE]

95%
Average Rating: 7/10
Reviews Counted: 100
Fresh: 95
Rotten: 5
Critics Consensus: Its infectious enthusiasm for its subjects - and Iggy Pop's ingratiating presence - more than make up for the effortlessly entertaining Gimme Danger's relative lack of context or depth.

AUDIENCE SCORE

68%
liked it
Average Rating: 3.6/5
User Ratings: 2,142


(my alteration and emphasis)

Hmm, okay. I suspect it's been graded on a curve by the critics, but I'm up for it!


On here it was pretty mixed.

viewtopic.php?t=132780
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

User avatar
Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure
Posts: 53094
Joined: 21 Jul 2003, 19:04
Location: New York

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Postby Snarfyguy » 18 Apr 2018, 16:15

hippopotamus wrote:
Snarfyguy wrote:I find his relentless vertical and horizontal camera tracking visually tiresome - as though I'm trapped inside a video game or something.

Even so, I do find his some his movies engaging and I really did enjoy Isle of Dogs (and Grand Budapest Hotel).


DId you think it was relentless in these last two? See... I think he's getting better.

It didn't bother me so much, let's put it that way.

hippopotamus wrote:Is it just weird for no reason like The Lobster?

The Lobster was social satire and the weirdness was baked into the premise, where the new one is a more traditional revenge story, and the weirdness is in service to the conveyance of mood and atmosphere, so: eerie music, oddly stilted dialogue, unusual camerawork and so forth. It's certainly more straightforward in narrative terms, but also quite unsettling.

Putting all this stuff under the heading "weird" is likely a disservice because there's a lot going on in these movies.
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

User avatar
joels344
Posts: 1155
Joined: 17 Dec 2016, 17:37
Location: Nashville, TN
Contact:

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Postby joels344 » 18 Apr 2018, 22:17

Image

I rewatched this for date night yesterday. I’ve always found it underrated in Christopher Nolan’s filmography and still do to this very day. What a brilliant piece of cinema.

User avatar
Darkness_Fish
Posts: 6409
Joined: 27 Jul 2015, 09:58

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Postby Darkness_Fish » 19 Apr 2018, 09:03

joels344 wrote:Image

I rewatched this for date night yesterday. I’ve always found it underrated in Christopher Nolan’s filmography and still do to this very day. What a brilliant piece of cinema.

Yeah, I like that film an awful lot, too. I also think the book it's based on, by Christopher Priest, was rather magnificent.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

User avatar
pcqgod
Posts: 17382
Joined: 11 Apr 2010, 07:23
Location: Texas

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Postby pcqgod » 19 Apr 2018, 17:22

Image

A Quiet Place (2018)

The premise of this movie doesn't stand too much scrutiny and I wasn't crazy about the resolution, but otherwise it is a wonderfully scary flick that keeps up the tension from the opening frame to the end credits.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

User avatar
Toby
Arsehole all Erect
Posts: 23587
Joined: 28 Jul 2003, 23:13
Contact:

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Postby Toby » 20 Apr 2018, 08:54

Image

Just making my way through this. Astonishing stuff.

User avatar
Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk
Posts: 29696
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:18
Location: Edge of a continent

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Postby Matt Wilson » 22 Apr 2018, 02:15

Image
The Awful Truth

One of those classic '30s screwball comedies which seemed to be much more well-known at one time than at the present day. It's said this is the first time Cary Grant was Cary Grant onscreen, whatever that means. Topper preceded this by a few months and he certainly seems like Cary Grant in that one. Irene Dunne is perfection, the script sizzles and the print is what it is (the original negative was lost year ago). I wonder how people in the depression liked seeing rich folks onscreen frolicking away and never seeming to be working. I guess it took them away from their humdrum lives, much like the Marvel universe films do for the masses today. Only these were much better.
John Coan wrote:I've lived in many different countries in Europe and whenever I come home I think 'England is the best'

User avatar
Jimbo
Posts: 15680
Joined: 26 Dec 2009, 21:22

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Postby Jimbo » 22 Apr 2018, 14:02

pcqgod wrote:Image

Darkest Hour (2017)

This is the second new movie I've watched in the past year in which Dunkirk is a major plot-driving element...


Because it's propaganda. It is saying get ready. War is coming. Our parents and grandparents did their part it will soon be time to do yours.

Not that it wasn't a good movie. The political ins and outs were interestingly shown and the actor did a job humanizing Churchill whom I always imagined as Churchillian, always tough and crusty. But of course, he was just a guy who had a tough job to do and this is how he probably behaved when he was off stage. I wonder, however, if his ride on the underground actually happened. I actually started bawling when they said, "Never!"
“It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.” Mark Twain