Return of the RECENT VIEWING

..and why not?
Darkness_Fish

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Postby Darkness_Fish » 22 Nov 2017, 09:09

Duel meets La Haine, with a sprinkling of Drive and a Kill Bill jus. Unfortunately, it's very lightweight and a bit silly, though the middle bit of two tossers being terrorised by a taxi as they wander through an empty late-night Paris is quite good fun.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 24 Nov 2017, 10:15

Videodrome

Watching this I was reminded of that urban legend I’d hear as a kid about snuff films and how if you went into your local store and asked for the “under the counter” stuff you might be able to get hold of some of this shit. Just the possibility that these films existed bothered me I recall. I was also reminded of the video nasties scare and the moral panic surrounding it and thought how videotapes were once seen as something dangerous, subversive and possibly hugely damaging to society. Videodrome is clearly a product of that era but one that that still manages to maintain relevance and its ability to shock and provoke because it’s a horror film with ideas and an intellect behind it that touches on various ideas: tv as reality, mass media control, censorship (the puritanical Barry Convex and the Spectacular Optical Corporation are the villains of course) and because Cronenbergs patented body horror and imagination is singular and disturbing still. It’s hard to describe the atmosphere of the movie but it has an ickiness that sticks to you and some genuinely memorable images including, of course, the vagina in the stomach that burn themselves onto your retina. When he was on this kind of form Cronenberg was one of the most radical and intelligent horror directors ever.

A great film
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:we have lost touch with anything normal

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 24 Nov 2017, 21:21

I saw that at the cinema. I thought it was shit.

Dor-Relip Hotels and Bathings
hounds people off the board
Location: selling a self-detonating James Last CD to a Copenhagen thrift store

Postby Dor-Relip Hotels and Bathings » 24 Nov 2017, 22:57

:lol:
Darkness_Fish wrote:This is a big fucking mess of absolute shit from the off.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 25 Nov 2017, 09:17

Twat!
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:we have lost touch with anything normal

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 25 Nov 2017, 19:54

Me or Coan?

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 26 Nov 2017, 05:01

Sayonara

Basically a Japanese travelogue with Brando's 'suthin' accent. Apparently, US military men weren't allowed to bring home Japanese brides in 1951 when this is supposed to take place (the film came out in '57), and the picture serves as a diatribe against that racist policy in occupied Japan after the war. Only that Japanese war bride law ended in '47, not '51, so the timeline doesn't make sense. Great looking transfer though, too bad the dialogue coming out of their mouths is off by a nano second.
John Coan wrote:I've lived in many different countries in Europe and whenever I come home I think 'England is the best'

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 26 Nov 2017, 15:06

driftin wrote:
Snarfyguy wrote:Image

Superb. Realism gives way to horror almost imperceptibly in this Iranian production set in Tehran in the 1980s Iran/Iraq war. I won't bother getting into the plot, but it gets points for keeping the audience off-guard, fantastic sound design & visual sensibility and the great sets. Most of it takes place in an apartment and it's reminiscent of Repulsion in the way the interiors reflect the state of mind of its inhabitants. Really effective, even/especially without the usual SFX CGI bunk.

I loved that one.

Even without the supernatural element I thought it was a very good and rather tense war-torn family drama.

Watched this over the weekend. Agree with all of the above.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 27 Nov 2017, 15:20

Six year-old Clementine loved it and in truth it's pretty irresistible.

Rotten Tomatoes gives it an aggregate "score" of 96%, if that's any indication.
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

driftin

Postby driftin » 27 Nov 2017, 21:45

Score is a bit of a stretch. It' simply means 96% of critics that are on that site gave it more than 75% or 7/10. If everyone gives a film 7/10, the film gets 100% on Rotten Tomatoes. It's why I don't particularly like Rotten Tomatoes as an aggregate score site. Metacritic has its own problems too (all 5/5s, 10/10s are 100%) but it actually gives an average score at least.

That being said I am somewhat interested in Coco. I like the whole Day of the Dead lore but I think it won't be quite as interesting as The Book of Life which was wonderful and a very high bar.

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 27 Nov 2017, 22:04

^^^ I guess that's why I had the word "score" in quotes - because it's not my characterization, but I don't know what else to call it. "Rating?" In any case, you get the idea, that's it's received a lot of positive reviews.

I liked The Book of Life quite a bit as far as these things go, and the new one stands up to it well, although it doesn't quite bring the laughs so much.
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

PresMuffley

Postby PresMuffley » 28 Nov 2017, 11:45

I tried watching Get Out & the Trainspotting sequel. Get Out started ok, seemed like something interesting might occur, but it quickly became preposterous and I stopped watching. Does it ever get around to explaining what happened to Catherine Kenner's face?

The Trainspotting sequel never grabbed me in any way and I also stopped watching it. From what I did see, I felt a proper subtitle might have been: The Time to Yell.
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 29 Nov 2017, 03:48

The Philadelphia Story

Practically my favorite '40s romantic comedy. Grant, Hepburn and Stewart were rarely better. The dialogue sizzles, the photography is crystal clear in Criterion's new 4k scan, and it's all thoroughly enjoyable. Did this make our recent 100 greatest films poll? It should've.
John Coan wrote:I've lived in many different countries in Europe and whenever I come home I think 'England is the best'

PresMuffley

Postby PresMuffley » 29 Nov 2017, 05:00

Hal Ashby's ability to address race, class, inequality, gentrification, societal expectations, familial relations - hell, you name it - in such an honest, humorous, absurd manner is something I am very thankful for. He never attempts to wield a bludgeon over our collective, guilty leftist heads, but rather pokes & prods us along his vision of the American Dream. Together we discover just how rotten it is at its core.

This film is 47 years old and feels fresher than anything Hollywood will release in 2020. Please do watch if you get the opportunity.
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room.

algroth

Postby algroth » 29 Nov 2017, 13:30

driftin wrote:

Score is a bit of a stretch. It' simply means 96% of critics that are on that site gave it more than 75% or 7/10. If everyone gives a film 7/10, the film gets 100% on Rotten Tomatoes. It's why I don't particularly like Rotten Tomatoes as an aggregate score site. Metacritic has its own problems too (all 5/5s, 10/10s are 100%) but it actually gives an average score at least.

That being said I am somewhat interested in Coco. I like the whole Day of the Dead lore but I think it won't be quite as interesting as The Book of Life which was wonderful and a very high bar.

Actually the "fresh" line for RT usually is 6/10, though it also varies depending on publication and what the critic himself submits into the site (some 6/10s are fresh, whereas others may be rotten).

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 30 Nov 2017, 04:54

Violent Saturday

Masterful Cinemascope noir/thriller/melodrama with some of the best wide angle shots I've ever seen. Called 'the king of Southwestern noirs' not that I can think of too many other films which would fit that category. Lee Marvin adds to his arsenal of memorable villains and Ernest Borgnine is an Amish man, of all things...

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 30 Nov 2017, 16:45

Lambert and Stamp, 2015 or so

Catnip for Who fans, obviously and a very rewarding watch. I might have pruned 20 minutes' worth of Pete and Rog reminiscing and chucked it in with the bonus materials; the momentum sort of flags after the filmmakers have burned through their trove of archival footage (which is GREAT).

Lambert being dead, it's Chris Stamp's show and he's a pretty captivating bullshit artist/raconteur. The whole thing is so entirely improbable: the streetwise hustler pairing up with the multilingual, aristocratic gay guy; discovering the band and turning them into a world class, household name act. Inevitably the wheels come off and the survivors are left to tell the tale, which I suppose finally fulfills the pair's initial ambition, after the fact: to make a film of it all.

The scene where Pete shows the managers Glittering Girl is stunning.

Hey look, it's on YouTube

@ 0:34

Dor-Relip Hotels and Bathings
hounds people off the board
Location: selling a self-detonating James Last CD to a Copenhagen thrift store

Postby Dor-Relip Hotels and Bathings » 30 Nov 2017, 23:55

Beautiful.
Darkness_Fish wrote:This is a big fucking mess of absolute shit from the off.

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 01 Dec 2017, 01:25

PresMuffley wrote:Image

Hal Ashby's ability to address race, class, inequality, gentrification, societal expectations, familial relations - hell, you name it - in such an honest, humorous, absurd manner is something I am very thankful for. He never attempts to wield a bludgeon over our collective, guilty leftist heads, but rather pokes & prods us along his vision of the American Dream. Together we discover just how rotten it is at its core.

This film is 47 years old and feels fresher than anything Hollywood will release in 2020. Please do watch if you get the opportunity.

Yes!!!

Great film. Unjustly forgotten by most.
The opinions of this poster are subjective. That’s how opinions work.

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 01 Dec 2017, 23:18

Kong Skull Island (2017)

This is some preposterous stuff that doesn't stand up to any logical scrutiny, even accepting that giant monsters exist on a magical island somewhere. But the appearances of the lead monster are great and the sequence with Kong versus US Army helicopters is ridiculously fun and I like the fact that instead of the usual brontosaurs and tyranosaurs we get giant water buffalo, daddy longlegs and walking sticks, etc.

Split (2017)

This movie features an undoubtedly commendable performance by James McAvory as a man with a couple dozen personalities, but I didn't really care for it, other than some interesting stuff on the interrelation (and conflict) between the various personas. Specifically, I didn't really care for the way it goes off into fantasy land, nor the idea that it might be setting up a sequel.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?