Return of the RECENT VIEWING

..and why not?
Darkness_Fish

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Postby Darkness_Fish » 23 Dec 2018, 21:13

Annual traditional viewing, always has to happen once my wife's birthday is out of the way.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 24 Dec 2018, 14:40

Valmont (1989) is Milos Forman's take on the 1782 novel "Les Liaisons dangereuses" and it is sumptuous.
Annette Bening's portrayal of the seductive, scheming, game-playing Marquise de Merteuil is one of her most accomplished lead performances and there's an (surprise to me) appearance by Ian McNeice, now well known on British TV as Bert Large from Doc Martin, playing Valmont's trusty man servant Azolan.

Nonsense to the aggressiveness, I've seen more aggression on the my little pony message board......I mean I was told.

driftin

Postby driftin » 24 Dec 2018, 22:33

Psychopathy, incest, narcissism, hallucinations, ultra-violence, Carrie Fisher. A proper Christmas classic.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 25 Dec 2018, 20:04

The best Christmas film after It's a Wonderful Life (which it references occasionally). And don't give me no Die Hard nonsense.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 26 Dec 2018, 15:44

The Sea Hawk

Watched this a couple of nights ago. Supreme Hollywood entertainment from Warner Brothers right before WWII. Flynn is in fine swashbuckling form, like he's channeling Doug Fairbanks or something. Good sets, decent story (he's pirating Spanish ships for England, you see), competent Michael Curtiz direction, etc. If you like that sort of thing - this will check every box. Stellar transfer too.

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 26 Dec 2018, 22:46

Laibach: Liberation Day.

a documentry of Laibach's cultural visit to North Korea. Fantastic stuff.
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

driftin

Postby driftin » 27 Dec 2018, 18:34

A 1962 sexploitation comedy with Universal's classic monsters in it. It was on MUBI and it's endorsed by Nic Winding Refn so I thought I'd give it a go.

It's utter shite.

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 27 Dec 2018, 20:12

Dark comedy about two women vying to be the unofficial consort of England's Queen Anne, reveling in the more perverse aspects of courtly life of the times. The best performance is by Olivia Colman as the Queen.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 28 Dec 2018, 09:13

Keeping it seasonal:

northernsky

Postby northernsky » 28 Dec 2018, 13:30

Darkness_Fish wrote:Keeping it seasonal:

That's a terrific film!
We should all watch it as a Margot Kidder tribute this year.

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 28 Dec 2018, 16:51

driftin wrote:...

It's utter shite.

Of course it was. Had you not the slightest clue beforehand?
Nonsense to the aggressiveness, I've seen more aggression on the my little pony message board......I mean I was told.

driftin

Postby driftin » 28 Dec 2018, 17:00

Samoan wrote:
driftin wrote:...

It's utter shite.

Of course it was. Had you not the slightest clue beforehand?

No, I'd never heard of it before and thought it'd be fun. Was I supposed to know it or something?

driftin

Postby driftin » 28 Dec 2018, 19:59

If Philip K. Dick made a Telltale videogame it'd be something like this. What a weird, ultra meta, highly inventive piece of... television? Probably the most Black Mirrorish episode ever. Episode? What is anything?

driftin

Postby driftin » 29 Dec 2018, 13:30

This is incredible.

driftin

Postby driftin » 29 Dec 2018, 22:09

So's this.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 30 Dec 2018, 11:56

I hadn't seen this since I was a teenager, and recent viewings of the Denzel remake made me wonder if it was as good as I recalled. It is. Oozes class and grit, and doesn't waste a second of its running time, even down to the final gesundheit.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 30 Dec 2018, 17:15

Definitely, there was something about those 1970's films set in NYC which is timeless. This is one of the better ones, actually.

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 31 Dec 2018, 15:03

This doesn't really amount to much, but it's a pleasure watching the cast members (also featuring Sylvia Miles and a couple of instantly recognizable character actors) strut their stuff.
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 31 Dec 2018, 18:52

Something of a pleasure compared to the recent slew of smugly bland 'live action' superhero flicks. Much more stylish and smart, the comic-book art aesthetic is carried through with aplomb. I felt the second half weakened a tad, the extra characters were a little silly and unnecessary, but I'd take this over another CGI mugfest anyday.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 31 Dec 2018, 23:29

Image Image
Anne of the Thousand Days

The last of Richard Burton's seven nominated performances to make it to blu ray. I'd never seen it before, and It's pretty good. Not entirely historically accurate, but close enough - this story of Henry VIII and Anne Boleyn and their dissociation from the Church of Rome in order to be betrothed is well acted, photographed, written, etc. Not a classic but a good transfer and I was entertained.

The Barefoot Contessa
Schlocky Hollywood melodrama which was a big hit in 1954 - a year which Bogie had no less than three successes (this, Sabrina, and The Caine Mutiny), and all of them worthy to some extent. A screenplay dealing with films, rags-to-riches, and a homosexual element buried in the production code. The transfer is okay but could be better. Another one I'd never seen.

Return to “Screenadelica”