Return of the RECENT VIEWING

..and why not?
Jeemo

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Postby Jeemo » 10 Nov 2017, 13:50

The Great Defector wrote:
Goat Boy wrote:McDowell should have been a huge star.

That's what I always think, why happened or did he actually want to be (going by his earlier film choices)? Might be worth a thread on it's own.

he went after the money pure amd simple.
Image So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

Neige
Alpine Numpty
Location: On 2 oz of plastic with a hole in the middle (of nowhere)

Postby Neige » 12 Nov 2017, 10:12

Jeemo wrote:

That's what I always think, why happened or did he actually want to be (going by his earlier film choices)? Might be worth a thread on it's own.

Yeah, and when playing the arch-opportunist Travis in Oh Lucky Man, he was probably just being himself. :P
Thumpety-thump beats plinkety-plonk every time. - Rayge

Minnie Cheddars
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie Cheddars » 12 Nov 2017, 15:17

A few enjoyable plane watches:
'The Big Sick' by Kumail Nanjiani loosely based on his relationship with his girlfriend Emily - funny and sweet, 'The Secret Life of Pets' which was cute, a great sitcom 'Better Things' about an LA actress in her forties and her family, but my favourite was a film called 'Norman' starring Richard Gere - he played it beautifully and looked alarmingly like my Dad especially when he wore his flat cap. I would thoroughly recommend it.
As the credits rolled I saw both Life of Pets has a lead character with Louis CKs voice (and Spacey too I think) and that Better Things was produced by Louis CK so presumably they will disappear from view sometime soon.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 14 Nov 2017, 00:15

driftin wrote:Image

Jackie Chan was seriously hurting himself and everyone else decades before The Raid. Awesome.

I watched the first two in that series again recently. Incredible stuff.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 14 Nov 2017, 00:37

American Made (2017)

Entertaining drama/comedy based on the disputed story of an American pilot who (if the story is accurate) managed to spy for the U.S., smuggle guns in Reagan's secret war against the Sandinistas in Nicaragua, smuggle Contras into the U.S. for secret training, all the while smuggling product for the Medellin cartel and...well it gets pretty complicated. The "Wolf of Wall Street"/"Big Short" twisted success story formula seems a bit familiar, but it works.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 14 Nov 2017, 09:47

Decent enough hokey horror, following the lad from Hetty Wainthrop Investigates as he cages a young woman in a forgotten part of some kind of dog pound.
Last edited by Darkness_Fish on 14 Nov 2017, 16:00, edited 1 time in total.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 14 Nov 2017, 14:40

This was loads of fun.

Also,

Very good indeed. Michael Shannon's breakout role, I suppose.
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 14 Nov 2017, 16:06

Snarfyguy wrote:Image

This was loads of fun.

I like that one a lot, although it was Night of the Demon over here. I love the fact that the murderer/coma-patient who goes bezerk is Brian Wilde, a character actor best known for playing ineffectual, slightly pathetic figures in sitcoms.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 14 Nov 2017, 16:12

Total classic!
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:we have lost touch with anything normal

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 15 Nov 2017, 07:53

Jeemo wrote:

Probably. In his defence there was very little film industry in Britain to stay for in the 70s. If he'd stayed he'd have combined theatre with tv work, like most of his contemporaries. Once he went to The States, he worked regularly, but not in very prestigious things. I guess often the roles you get are only as good as your agent. Like most actors, he prioritised working over being very picky about his roles.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 15 Nov 2017, 08:28

The Modernist wrote:
Jeemo wrote:

Probably. In his defence there was very little film industry in Britain to stay for in the 70s. If he'd stayed he'd have combined theatre with tv work, like most of his contemporaries.

Looking at his imdb and wiki entries, it appears this is what he largely did. He then did more work in The States in the 80s.

Jeemo

Postby Jeemo » 15 Nov 2017, 12:12

The Modernist wrote:
The Modernist wrote:
Jeemo wrote:

Probably. In his defence there was very little film industry in Britain to stay for in the 70s. If he'd stayed he'd have combined theatre with tv work, like most of his contemporaries.

Looking at his imdb and wiki entries, it appears this is what he largely did. He then did more work in The States in the 80s.

there's not much qualty control there. which is a shame as he's a terrific screen actor

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 16 Nov 2017, 04:18

Death Rides a Horse

I'd love to start a thread on Spaghetti Westerns, but who would care? Anyway, many of the best ones feature people who worked on the Leone films, such as Lee Van Cleef in this one. Folks, for those who care, this is among the creme de la creme of Euro westerns.
John Coan wrote:I've lived in many different countries in Europe and whenever I come home I think 'England is the best'

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 16 Nov 2017, 19:22

Definitely one of the better sci-fi flicks of its time. Story by Ray Bradbury. The "alien vision" effect is effectively creepy.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 17 Nov 2017, 03:36

The Fortune Cookie

Lesser Wilder, but still entertaining and the first pairing of Lemmon and Matthau, who is dynamite (he won the oscar for this performance).
John Coan wrote:I've lived in many different countries in Europe and whenever I come home I think 'England is the best'

Jeemo

Postby Jeemo » 17 Nov 2017, 12:22

Going to see two movies this weekend. Tonight its Justice League and on Sunday its Lawrence of Arabia 70mm.

wonder which will be best?

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 18 Nov 2017, 03:23

Image Image
House of Bamboo
Another macho, Samuel Fuller flick from the mid '50s, with perhaps the most dazzling use of Cinemascope I can think of. The always interesting Robert Ryan and the usually wooden Robert Stack head a story of underground crime in Japan. None of that matters though because you can't take your eyes off of the visuals.

The Crimson Kimono
Its heart is in the right place, and with a few plot changes it could have been something special. The actors are fine (but need better direction), yet the film lacks something I can't quite place - something intangible. Lesser Fuller, to be sure. I'd be lying if I didn't say I wasn't entertained.

Tactful Cactus

Postby Tactful Cactus » 19 Nov 2017, 11:21

This was great. Definitely not your average Jazz bio. Quite a surprising story if you don't know it.

Neige
Alpine Numpty
Location: On 2 oz of plastic with a hole in the middle (of nowhere)

Postby Neige » 19 Nov 2017, 17:42

I like John Sayles, but that was a bit disappointing.
Thumpety-thump beats plinkety-plonk every time. - Rayge

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 21 Nov 2017, 17:21

An odd one: circular, elliptical structure, minimal dialogue, annoying framing device (not a narrative one, but a literal one; it has rounded corners, as though you're watching a movie on one of those old GAF View Master toys).

It's not giving much away to inform you that the guy dies in the first 10 minutes of the movie, after which he appears to fail to take the proper course to the afterlife or whatever and instead hangs around his house being sad in a bed sheet (which is initially extremely distracting and ridiculous, but you gradually become accustomed to it). He seems to become unstuck in time, yet rooted to the same physical location. There are some really, really long, static shots, which I guess serve to underscore how the ghost has an eternity of time to fill and nothing to do except be sad about how he's not with his wife anymore and it's actually quite poignant in that regard.

So it's kind of a meditation on death and loss from a supernatural, but rarely-to-never traditionally "scary" perspective; a romantic, metaphysical exploration of separation with some gorgeous cinematography, but which requires no small amount of patience. It's nothing if not unique - I really can't think of anything to compare it to.
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.