Return of the RECENT VIEWING

..and why not?
User avatar
Darkness_Fish
Posts: 5983
Joined: 27 Jul 2015, 09:58

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Postby Darkness_Fish » 23 Oct 2017, 10:05

Image

This seems to have gathered more positive reviews than M Night Shalamar films normally get, and I don't know why. I think it may be because instead of a twist, we get a bit where the twist should've been, but he couldn't think of one. Really, I'm not even sure James McAvoy's performance is that special, and his interchanging between personalities is ok, but it's all a bit hammy. He's got the chops, but the cliched nature of the personalities means he doesn't have a lot of subtlety to work with. Not good.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

User avatar
space. invadere
hounds people off the board
Posts: 18660
Joined: 24 Apr 2007, 23:21
Location: bit reliant on prawns

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Postby space. invadere » 23 Oct 2017, 10:08

Matt Wilson wrote:Image
A Fish Called Wanda

Practically as funny as the Python films, though for different reasons. The screenplay is excellent, Kline kills, and the entire cast is ace. I can watch it over and over again...


I watched Cleese on John Bishop's chat show last night, and he talked about how he always considered himself a writer more than a performer. He was very proud to get the AA and BAFTA nominations for best screenplay for this one.

And I just found out that Palin went on to found the London Centre for Stammering Children after a group of stutterers confronted him regarding the sensitivity with which he dealt with Ken's handicap in this film.

I should watch it again - it's such a wonderful film.
GoogaMooga wrote:I've been GoogaMooga everywhere since I went online in 2005. There are copycats on the web incl a Brooklyn Food Festival, who have even adopted my camel case "M".

User avatar
Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint
Posts: 32511
Joined: 20 Mar 2007, 12:11
Location: In the perfumed garden

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Postby Goat Boy » 23 Oct 2017, 10:27

Didn't Palins Dad have a really bad stammer?
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.


Copehead wrote:we have lost touch with anything normal

User avatar
space. invadere
hounds people off the board
Posts: 18660
Joined: 24 Apr 2007, 23:21
Location: bit reliant on prawns

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Postby space. invadere » 23 Oct 2017, 10:33

GoogaMooga wrote:I've been GoogaMooga everywhere since I went online in 2005. There are copycats on the web incl a Brooklyn Food Festival, who have even adopted my camel case "M".

User avatar
Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure
Posts: 52954
Joined: 21 Jul 2003, 19:04
Location: New York

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Postby Snarfyguy » 25 Oct 2017, 22:57

Image

I think this received mixed reviews, but I thought it was quite good, presenting a convincing, if not exactly believable world (it is a zombie movie after all). While the characters are types, they're fleshed out to be more than just walking depictions of ideas, so that they generate sufficient empathy to keep the viewer engaged. Nothing earth-shatteringly novel here, but plenty to enjoy.
Jimbo wrote:Look, all I know is pretty much what I get from Robert Parry over at Consortium News.

User avatar
driftin
Posts: 825
Joined: 15 Feb 2011, 03:23

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Postby driftin » 25 Oct 2017, 23:40

Snarfyguy wrote:Image

I think this received mixed reviews, but I thought it was quite good, presenting a convincing, if not exactly believable world (it is a zombie movie after all). While the characters are types, they're fleshed out to be more than just walking depictions of ideas, so that they generate sufficient empathy to keep the viewer engaged. Nothing earth-shatteringly novel here, but plenty to enjoy.

I really enjoyed that one. What I liked about it was that it treated zombies not as the horror bad guys but simply as something that nature has unleashed through circumstances. It reminded me a bit of I Am Legend (the novel) in that way.

Terrific performance by the little girl too.

User avatar
driftin
Posts: 825
Joined: 15 Feb 2011, 03:23

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Postby driftin » 25 Oct 2017, 23:44

Darkness_Fish wrote:Image

This seems to have gathered more positive reviews than M Night Shalamar films normally get, and I don't know why. I think it may be because instead of a twist, we get a bit where the twist should've been, but he couldn't think of one. Really, I'm not even sure James McAvoy's performance is that special, and his interchanging between personalities is ok, but it's all a bit hammy. He's got the chops, but the cliched nature of the personalities means he doesn't have a lot of subtlety to work with. Not good.

It's pretty rubbish, isn't it? There was a lot of talk about McAvoy's performance being brilliant when it came out but I agree with you. He chews on the scenery. It doesn't help that the depiction of split personalities is cliched and very movie-like rather than subtle and realistic so I put the blame entirely on Shyamalan's writing rather than McAvoy's lack of acting chops which he clearly has in other films.

User avatar
Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint
Posts: 32511
Joined: 20 Mar 2007, 12:11
Location: In the perfumed garden

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Postby Goat Boy » 26 Oct 2017, 09:35

Bicycle Thieves

A great, simple, profound movie fully deserving of its reputation.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.


Copehead wrote:we have lost touch with anything normal

User avatar
The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!
Posts: 12327
Joined: 13 Apr 2014, 20:42

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Postby The Modernist » 26 Oct 2017, 13:39

Goat Boy wrote:Bicycle Thieves

A great, simple, profound movie fully deserving of its reputation.


One of the greatest films ever.

User avatar
Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint
Posts: 32511
Joined: 20 Mar 2007, 12:11
Location: In the perfumed garden

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Postby Goat Boy » 26 Oct 2017, 13:50

I thought so.

It's such a simple story too but it says a lot. The climax is heartbreaking (the shot of Brunos poor face). The little things too, like Bruno dusting off the old mans hat as if to try and restore some of his dignity.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.


Copehead wrote:we have lost touch with anything normal

User avatar
The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!
Posts: 12327
Joined: 13 Apr 2014, 20:42

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Postby The Modernist » 26 Oct 2017, 14:30

Yeah it's full of those little details. Neither of the two leads had acted before, but they have such a chemistry together.
It's so cleverly filmed too - the way the lead character keeps getting engulfed by crowds like he's losing his identity.

User avatar
Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk
Posts: 29561
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:18
Location: Edge of a continent

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Postby Matt Wilson » 27 Oct 2017, 02:57

Image
Barry Lyndon

OMG, this has never looked so good. I'm pleased as punch.
Coan wrote:'Vertigo' is one of the best things U2 have ever done, one of a handful of occasions where they get it just right. That bit near the end where the song lifts off? You don't get that with The Allman Brothers.

User avatar
Samoan
Posts: 10284
Joined: 28 May 2008, 10:22
Location: still at Red Hen restaurant

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Postby Samoan » 27 Oct 2017, 12:13

I watched Parkland last weekend: I didn't know there was to be the release of documents this week. A stunning and poignant film as expected, with so many affecting scenes such as the difficulties of moving Kennedy's coffin into the AirForce One plane for flight back to Washington to the pitiful scenes at Oswald's burial*.
I hope I'm not causing offence to any American BCBers by saying that* and I apologise sincerely should that be the case.

(It's hard for me to imagine any historic British comparison except say, the assassination of Winston Churchill after the conclusion of WW2.)

Image

Image
Nikki Gradual wrote: Santana is just lift music really, isn’t it ?

User avatar
Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk
Posts: 29561
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:18
Location: Edge of a continent

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Postby Matt Wilson » 28 Oct 2017, 01:17

Image
Universal Classic Monsters - The Essential Collection

Hell yeah... Perfect films for October. Dracula, Frankenstein, The Invisible Man & Bride of Frankenstein are classics. The Mummy is great, and The Wolf Man, Phantom of the Opera & Creature from the Black Lagoon are all worthy. Had they included the original 1925 version of Phantom instead of the one from the 40s, they could have had one more great one. Essential Halloween movies.
Coan wrote:'Vertigo' is one of the best things U2 have ever done, one of a handful of occasions where they get it just right. That bit near the end where the song lifts off? You don't get that with The Allman Brothers.

User avatar
Jeemo
Posts: 20674
Joined: 21 Jul 2003, 23:17
Location: ????

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Postby Jeemo » 28 Oct 2017, 18:18

Took David and Cameron to see Thor 3. Great fun, ideal Friday night movie.
Image So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

User avatar
jimboo
Posts: 6769
Joined: 29 Dec 2005, 17:43
Location: taking a foxy kind of stand

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Postby jimboo » 28 Oct 2017, 19:30

Matt Wilson wrote:Image
Barry Lyndon

OMG, this has never looked so good. I'm pleased as punch.


Fantastic film , every moment of the movie is magical , what's not to love?
Goat Boy wrote:Oh, do fuck off, prog boy.

User avatar
Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk
Posts: 29561
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:18
Location: Edge of a continent

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Postby Matt Wilson » 28 Oct 2017, 19:42

jimboo wrote:
Matt Wilson wrote:Image
Barry Lyndon

OMG, this has never looked so good. I'm pleased as punch.


Fantastic film , every moment of the movie is magical , what's not to love?


It's great, but there are always things to nitpick about. It's slow, for one thing, and I don't care about any of the characters. And all Kubrick really cares about is the photography and getting the details right.
Coan wrote:'Vertigo' is one of the best things U2 have ever done, one of a handful of occasions where they get it just right. That bit near the end where the song lifts off? You don't get that with The Allman Brothers.

User avatar
Davey the Fat Boy
Posts: 23705
Joined: 05 Jan 2006, 02:55
Location: Applebees

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 29 Oct 2017, 07:21

Matt Wilson wrote:
jimboo wrote:
Matt Wilson wrote:Image
Barry Lyndon

OMG, this has never looked so good. I'm pleased as punch.


Fantastic film , every moment of the movie is magical , what's not to love?


It's great, but there are always things to nitpick about. It's slow, for one thing, and I don't care about any of the characters. And all Kubrick really cares about is the photography and getting the details right.


I love how slow it is. It’s a film that allows you luxuriate in it (as opposed to most of today’s films that act like a restaurant that wants its booth back as fast as possible). As for Kubrick not caring about the characters - that’s largely the point of the film. I love how it builds to one masterful existential joke.
The opinions of this poster are subjective. That’s how opinions work.

Image

User avatar
hippopotamus
Posts: 939
Joined: 22 Dec 2015, 11:00

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Postby hippopotamus » 29 Oct 2017, 11:52

jimboo wrote:
Matt Wilson wrote:Image
Barry Lyndon

OMG, this has never looked so good. I'm pleased as punch.


Fantastic film , every moment of the movie is magical , what's not to love?



I hate it. I've never tried so hard with anything so tedious.
Diamond Dog wrote:
nev gash wrote:What is point?


Indeed, what is point?

User avatar
pcqgod
Posts: 17131
Joined: 11 Apr 2010, 07:23
Location: Texas

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Postby pcqgod » 31 Oct 2017, 16:05

Recent views:

War of the Worlds (1953)

Image

Nosferatu (1922)

Image


Scarface (1983)

Image
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?