Return of the RECENT VIEWING

..and why not?
driftin

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Postby driftin » 05 Oct 2017, 15:47

Snarfyguy wrote:Image

Superb. Realism gives way to horror almost imperceptibly in this Iranian production set in Tehran in the 1980s Iran/Iraq war. I won't bother getting into the plot, but it gets points for keeping the audience off-guard, fantastic sound design & visual sensibility and the great sets. Most of it takes place in an apartment and it's reminiscent of Repulsion in the way the interiors reflect the state of mind of its inhabitants. Really effective, even/especially without the usual SFX CGI bunk.

I loved that one.

Even without the supernatural element I thought it was a very good and rather tense war-torn family drama.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 05 Oct 2017, 16:18

It's a cracker
Lord Rother wrote:Missing the sublime sense of melody which David Longdon brought to the group but nonetheless a damn fine album.

Big Big Train - Goodbye To The Age of Steam

The Great Defector

Postby The Great Defector » 05 Oct 2017, 17:18

Goat Boy wrote:It's a cracker

Frank Carson biography film?
Loki wrote:You Brit boys are so contentious!

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 06 Oct 2017, 14:29

The Boys from Brazil

Fairly entertaining, though ultimately ridiculous tale of a Nazi hunter tracking down ex Nazis who have cloned Hitler and think his offspring will rise to lead a fourth reich. I'm interested in collecting Olivier's oscar-nominated performances and this is one of them. Most aren't even on blu ray. So far I've got this, Rebecca, and Richard III.

The Wrong Man

Interesting, but no more than that, Hitchcock picture with Fonda as a wrongly-accused man who was arrested for robbery and only absolved when the real thief was caught. Supposedly a true story as well. I'd never seen it before. This theme runs throughout many of his films though.

They Shoot Horses Don't They?

Boy, is this a downer. Relentlessly grim, yet I can't say I wasn't entertained. They wouldn't even bother making something like this anymore. People wouldn't pay to see it. Fonda's first serious role and she doesn't dissapoint.

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 09 Oct 2017, 21:14

Engaging sports comedy/drama, and I vaguely remember the media hoopla in the 70s, except what I didn't know back then was that Bobby Riggs was 25 years older than Billie Jean King, so the whole thing's even more ridiculous than it seems at first glance. Anyway, it was a pretty enjoyable romp.
Jimbo wrote:Look, all I know is pretty much what I get from Robert Parry over at Consortium News.

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 11 Oct 2017, 17:06

This was utterly preposterous, but I ended up kind of liking it anyway. It certainly defied my expectations (not that I really had any firm ones anyway) in its gleeful abandonment of genre conventions and I was gradually won over by the easy rapport between the leads and the pleasingly low-key, low budget feel of the thing.
Jimbo wrote:Look, all I know is pretty much what I get from Robert Parry over at Consortium News.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 12 Oct 2017, 04:11

Breakfast at Tiffany's

Still holds up, if you can get by Rooney's horribly caricatured (some say racist) performance of a Japanese landlord, which made me uncomfortable even as a child. Of course, I didn't realize the two main characters were prostitutes either. Probably Hepburn's signature role.

Othello

I hadn't seen this since Eric and I went to an arthouse screening of the early '90s restoration in San Diego. Criterion gives us both the European and US/UK versions (only the Euro version looks good though). Two discs with plenty of extras. I'm like a pig in shit with this stuff.

Jeemo

Postby Jeemo » 13 Oct 2017, 11:15

watched Apocalypse Now last night, haven't seen it in years. Sheen was incredible and Brando wasn't that far behind. It also reminded me where my dislike of Denis Hoppers acting started.....man.
Image So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 13 Oct 2017, 16:55

Haven't seen this in 25 years. It holds up pretty good.

Sneelock wrote:You’ll like her better after she dies. Siouxsie won’t ever die. She’s a vampire or some shit.

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 13 Oct 2017, 18:04

Really good, I thought. Smart, funny, scary, taut and provocative.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 13 Oct 2017, 18:42

VERY well done. I enjoyed it tremendously. I think the acting is really top-notch in that one.
"Wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns.”

jimboo

Postby jimboo » 13 Oct 2017, 20:50

Jeemo wrote:watched Apocalypse Now last night, haven't seen it in years. Sheen was incredible and Brando wasn't that far behind. It also reminded me where my dislike of Denis Hoppers acting started.....man.

The thing about Hopper is when you listen to him. You find that the man's enlarged my mind. He's a poet warrior in the classic sense. I mean sometimes he'll... uh... well, you'll say "hello" to him, right? And he'll just walk right by you. He won't even notice you. And suddenly he'll grab you, and he'll throw you in a corner, and he'll say, "Do you know that 'if' is the middle word in life? If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs and blaming it on you, if you can trust yourself when all men doubt you"... I mean I'm... no, I can't... I'm a little man, I'm a little man, he's... he's a great man! I should have been a pair of ragged claws scuttling across floors of silent seas...
Goat Boy wrote:Oh, do fuck off, prog boy.

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 13 Oct 2017, 21:40

^^^ I'm not sure if that was acting, in the traditional sense.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 14 Oct 2017, 17:06

That scene was fuckin' great!

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 15 Oct 2017, 00:55

jimboo wrote:
Jeemo wrote:watched Apocalypse Now last night, haven't seen it in years. Sheen was incredible and Brando wasn't that far behind. It also reminded me where my dislike of Denis Hoppers acting started.....man.

The thing about Hopper is when you listen to him. You find that the man's enlarged my mind. He's a poet warrior in the classic sense. I mean sometimes he'll... uh... well, you'll say "hello" to him, right? And he'll just walk right by you. He won't even notice you. And suddenly he'll grab you, and he'll throw you in a corner, and he'll say, "Do you know that 'if' is the middle word in life? If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs and blaming it on you, if you can trust yourself when all men doubt you"... I mean I'm... no, I can't... I'm a little man, I'm a little man, he's... he's a great man! I should have been a pair of ragged claws scuttling across floors of silent seas...
:D

You can’t travel in space, you can’t go out into space, you know, without, like, you know, with fractions. What are you going to land on, one quarter, three-eighths, what are you going to do when you go from here to Venus or something — that’s dialectic physics, OK?
:lol:

I love everything he says and does in the film. It might be drug addled nonsense, but it's so right for the film.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 15 Oct 2017, 01:36

Louis Malle's beautiful documentary series Phantom India.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

driftin

Postby driftin » 15 Oct 2017, 14:10

Jackie Chan was seriously hurting himself and everyone else decades before The Raid. Awesome.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 16 Oct 2017, 16:13

Not nearly as good as the first one.

Sneelock wrote:You’ll like her better after she dies. Siouxsie won’t ever die. She’s a vampire or some shit.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 17 Oct 2017, 11:38

The Town That Dreaded Sundown

Disappointing. (Very) loosely based on a true story and shot like a faux documentary (it even has a silly voice over) this has the occasional moment but it’s critically flawed by the pointless voice over and bizarre injections of comedy that just do not work at all and only serve to disrupt the mood and atmosphere. On the plus side the killer, complete with creepy Klan bag mask and heavy breathing is actually pretty good and the 1940s rural setting is unusual for this type of movie but it’s poor overall. It’s a shame because with a better director this could have been good.
Lord Rother wrote:Missing the sublime sense of melody which David Longdon brought to the group but nonetheless a damn fine album.

Big Big Train - Goodbye To The Age of Steam

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 18 Oct 2017, 21:20