Return of the RECENT VIEWING

..and why not?
Jimbly

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Postby Jimbly » 03 Apr 2017, 23:04

Power Rangers with the wee guy. He loved it. I've seen much much worse.
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

northernsky

Postby northernsky » 04 Apr 2017, 10:43

I think de Palma is something like a genius although I love very few of his films. Very engaging and intelligent interviewee, which is just as well as this is a remarkably straight documentary - there's no authorial voice or angle, nor any other external perspective, and little attempt to contextualise his movies. Rather, the directors have made a strenous effort to cover all of them, almost entirely chronologically - and he has made rather many. So they get a bare few minutes each.

The failures, the controversies or the simply overlooked recent work is touched upon, and de Palma seems delighted to jaw about it all, but there really must be a lot more interesting stuff to say about Femme Fatale - a total commercial, er, blow-out but maybe the ultimate de Palma movie; how he got the drive to make Redacted and what hopes did he have for it; or why The Black Dahlia didn't work out. And you're not going to find it here.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 04 Apr 2017, 12:13

Taxi Driver

One the big screen. It's such a great film. One of cinemas most haunting visions of loneliness. De Niro is incredible as is Foster who is truly astonishing for her age. I think it's probably Scorsese's best
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 04 Apr 2017, 19:58

It's not as entertaining as some of his other films though, but as a character study, only Raging Bull matches it.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 04 Apr 2017, 21:05

It's not but it goes that bit deeper. I think it has more things to say than Raging Bull as well
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 07 Apr 2017, 04:45

Blow Up

Antonioni is known for about a half dozen classic films and this is certainly one of them. Perhaps only L'avventura looms larger in his cinematic legend, but this is probably more entertaining. Exploring his usual themes of ennui, aimlessness, and whatnot (ever try to explain one of his pictures? Good luck...), you have David Hemmings and Vanessa Redgrave, a Herbie Hancock score, and honest-to-goodness footage of the Page/Beck Yardbirds. Folks, that's enough to make this a '60s or counterculture classic, but it's the photography which really gets to me. His films are bee-you-ti-ful. Even more impressive in its use of color than the earlier Red Desert, this is as impressive for a color film as L'avventura, L'eclisse, and La Notti were for black and white. Let's hope Criterion does The Passenger, and even Zabriskie Point next.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 07 Apr 2017, 07:28

Saw Paterson this afternoon, and was modestly charmed by its modest charms. Co-star Golshifteh Farahani is under consideration for the "Lastest Crush" thread.

Also saw Horse Feathers, which of course I've watched dozens of times before. Seems like no-one ever talks about Horse Feathers but, unambitious though it is (both story-wise and production-wise), it might actually have the highest laughs-per-minute ratio of any of the Marx Brothers classics. Certainly there are no glaring dead spots to speak of (which I'm not sure I could even say about my favorite, A Night At The Opera).

Also saw this trailer, which made me wonder if the movie was the result of a challenge to see how many tired cliches they could pack into one story/script...

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 07 Apr 2017, 09:00

The Untouchables

It wasn't as good as I remembered it growing up but it's still comfortably above average entertainment, elevated by De Palmas direction and Connerys performance.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 07 Apr 2017, 14:42

Goat Boy wrote:The Untouchables

It wasn't as good as I remembered it growing up but it's still comfortably above average entertainment, elevated by De Palmas direction and Connerys performance.

...but not his accent.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 07 Apr 2017, 15:04

It's funny cos in the first scene he starts off speaking with an "irish" accent but then halfway through he just abandons it. Occasionally after that he'll do it again but you get the sense he just thought, "fuck it"

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 07 Apr 2017, 15:09

Goat Boy wrote:It's funny cos in the first scene he starts off speaking with an "irish" accent but then halfway through he just abandons it. Occasionally after that he'll do it again but you get the sense he just thought, "fuck it"

The Irish accent has a long history of being mangled by actors. We're kinda used to it now, and just laugh at it.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 07 Apr 2017, 15:12

Scottish isn't much better in movies

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 07 Apr 2017, 15:17

True, thought I was in shock to find out that Miller was from London a few months after the release of trainspotting. His accent was spot on, to me anyway. To a Scot, maybe not.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 07 Apr 2017, 15:22

It's a good generic Scottish accent but it's not a Leith/Edinburgh accent

Fonz

Postby Fonz » 07 Apr 2017, 17:04

One of the last times I can remember seeing the late Richard Bradford in a film.
The last was a film with David Caruso called 'Gold Coast', I think.
Heyyyy!

"Fonz clearly has no fucks to give. I like the cut of his Cupicidal gib."

Postby ... » 07 Apr 2017, 17:08

Fonz wrote:

One of the last times I can remember seeing the late Richard Bradford in a film.

More Richard Bradford than you will ever need

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Man-Suitcase-C ... a+suitcase

Fonz

Postby Fonz » 08 Apr 2017, 09:47

fueryIre wrote:
Fonz wrote:

More Richard Bradford than you will ever need

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Man-Suitcase-C ... a+suitcase

Absolutely!
I got that set when it came out. Far and away my fave 60s series.
He was so cool 8-)
Heyyyy!

"Fonz clearly has no fucks to give. I like the cut of his Cupicidal gib."

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 08 Apr 2017, 17:55

American History X

Still as intense as ever - and I don't think Norton was ever this good again. I looked up Edward Furlong and he apparently because an alcoholic junkie. Recent pictures of him look terrible. I haven't seen too many movies about white supremacists (Romper Stomper comes to mind), but I'm sure this must be the best.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 09 Apr 2017, 17:14

Very funny movie.

Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 10 Apr 2017, 04:33

Wild Strawberries

Virtually every film Bergman made after Smiles of a Summer Evening all the way until Fanny and Alexander in the eighties was a major cinematic event, and Wild Strawberries towers above most of them. Perhaps the greatest picture I've seen on aging. The tendency to forget short-term memories in favor of childhood ones is a theme here, and the character's ultimate redemption at the end is a nice counterpoint to some of Bergman's later explorations into darkness. I can see what inspired Woody Allen all over this (in particular the scenes where the elderly professor revisits scenes from his youth by walking into scenarios of people talking where they can't see him. In other, later scenes, they can see him). That's something Allen used in Annie Hall.

Return to “Screenadelica”