Return of the RECENT VIEWING

..and why not?
User avatar
Darkness_Fish
Posts: 6515
Joined: 27 Jul 2015, 09:58

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Postby Darkness_Fish » 23 Dec 2017, 21:41

Image

My son (who's 10) watched this in school, and enthused about it enough to convince my wife to order it. I think some of his coursework has been based around a book on Philippe Petit's walk, too, I'm not sure what, I should take more notice of his edjercation, or he'll not be all erudite n stuff like what I am. Anyway, the film's quite lightweight, but entertaining enough. It's slightly irritating with it's jaunty/quirky narration and set-pieces, the love story doesn't work at all, and the CGI is quite lame. But the topic is interesting enough, Joseph Gordon-Levitt is captivating enough as the lead (and just about stays on the right side of not-quite-annoying), and the actual section on the wire does get you contemplating just what the experience would feel like, and begs the question: why on earth would anyone go to such an effort to risk their life in such a way.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

User avatar
Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk
Posts: 29756
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:18
Location: Edge of a continent

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Postby Matt Wilson » 24 Dec 2017, 06:22

Image
1984

Film adaptation of Orwell's dystopian novel which we all had to read in college. Since it's been well over thirty years since I've perused its pages, it looks to be fairly faithful, with Richard Burton's last performance enshrined on celluloid for our perusal. It's slightly dull, but then, so was the book. I still enjoyed it though and the alternate soundtrack, with the Eurythmics music, is included.
goat boy wrote:For so long now Matt has BCB defined himself as being in opposition to Coan. He’s the Batman to their Joker but they can't deal with Batman ditching the gothic gloom of Gotham for Paris in the spring.

User avatar
Darkness_Fish
Posts: 6515
Joined: 27 Jul 2015, 09:58

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Postby Darkness_Fish » 24 Dec 2017, 20:58

About to watch this:

Image

Which is also how I picture each BCB jolly-up.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

User avatar
Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk
Posts: 29756
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:18
Location: Edge of a continent

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Postby Matt Wilson » 25 Dec 2017, 05:03

Image
The Naked Kiss

Another one of Samuel Fuller's* more popular films, except this time I like it. You've got prostitution, Pedophilia, and pimps - all in mid '60s B-movie glory. Another upgrade from my Criterion DVD, just like Shock Corridor. Fuller is the poor man's Peckinpah, and none the worse for it.


* Does no BCBer even know who Sam Fuller is? Snee? Shakes head, sadly...
goat boy wrote:For so long now Matt has BCB defined himself as being in opposition to Coan. He’s the Batman to their Joker but they can't deal with Batman ditching the gothic gloom of Gotham for Paris in the spring.

User avatar
Jeemo
Posts: 20854
Joined: 21 Jul 2003, 23:17
Location: ????

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Postby Jeemo » 25 Dec 2017, 08:01

The Big Red One was released in the cinema here. Otherwise it would be art house cinemas. Not a Sam fan so he doesn't really tick any boxes for me.
Image So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

User avatar
Dr Markus
Posts: 17670
Joined: 07 Jan 2012, 18:16

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Postby Dr Markus » 25 Dec 2017, 10:15

Darkness_Fish wrote:Image

Art-house flick, providing a metaphor about how we're all trapped by our work environment, and we'd all rather die than go home for Christmas.



Best Xmas movie ever, you can shove your "it's a wonderful life" malarkey.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

User avatar
Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk
Posts: 29756
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:18
Location: Edge of a continent

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Postby Matt Wilson » 25 Dec 2017, 15:36

Jeemo wrote:The Big Red One was released in the cinema here. Otherwise it would be art house cinemas. Not a Sam fan so he doesn't really tick any boxes for me.


Well, at least you know who he is. Merry Christmas, Jeemo!
goat boy wrote:For so long now Matt has BCB defined himself as being in opposition to Coan. He’s the Batman to their Joker but they can't deal with Batman ditching the gothic gloom of Gotham for Paris in the spring.

User avatar
Darkness_Fish
Posts: 6515
Joined: 27 Jul 2015, 09:58

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Postby Darkness_Fish » 25 Dec 2017, 18:46

The Great Defector wrote:
Darkness_Fish wrote:Image

Art-house flick, providing a metaphor about how we're all trapped by our work environment, and we'd all rather die than go home for Christmas.



Best Xmas movie ever, you can shove your "it's a wonderful life" malarkey.

Heresy. I've never really cared much for it. I prefer Die Hard 2, it's a crap film, but much more fun because of its stupidity.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

User avatar
Dr Markus
Posts: 17670
Joined: 07 Jan 2012, 18:16

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Postby Dr Markus » 25 Dec 2017, 21:10

Darkness_Fish wrote:
The Great Defector wrote:
Darkness_Fish wrote:Image

Art-house flick, providing a metaphor about how we're all trapped by our work environment, and we'd all rather die than go home for Christmas.



Best Xmas movie ever, you can shove your "it's a wonderful life" malarkey.

Heresy. I've never really cared much for it. I prefer Die Hard 2, it's a crap film, but much more fun because of its stupidity.



......in your opinion.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

User avatar
Darkness_Fish
Posts: 6515
Joined: 27 Jul 2015, 09:58

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Postby Darkness_Fish » 25 Dec 2017, 21:27

Oh no, it's definitely stupid.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

User avatar
Dr Markus
Posts: 17670
Joined: 07 Jan 2012, 18:16

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Postby Dr Markus » 25 Dec 2017, 22:19

In........your....... Opinion.





;)
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

User avatar
Jeemo
Posts: 20854
Joined: 21 Jul 2003, 23:17
Location: ????

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Postby Jeemo » 26 Dec 2017, 07:15

Matt Wilson wrote:
Jeemo wrote:The Big Red One was released in the cinema here. Otherwise it would be art house cinemas. Not a Sam fan so he doesn't really tick any boxes for me.


Well, at least you know who he is. Merry Christmas, Jeemo!



and to you and yours Matt
Image So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

User avatar
Davey the Fat Boy
Posts: 23856
Joined: 05 Jan 2006, 02:55
Location: Applebees

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 26 Dec 2017, 18:57

Matt Wilson wrote:* Does no BCBer even know who Sam Fuller is? Snee? Shakes head, sadly...


Of course! Didn’t we talk about him a few years ago in reference to White Dog?
“Remember I have said good things about benevolent despots before.” - Jimbo

Image

User avatar
Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk
Posts: 29756
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:18
Location: Edge of a continent

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Postby Matt Wilson » 26 Dec 2017, 19:05

Davey the Fat Boy wrote:
Matt Wilson wrote:* Does no BCBer even know who Sam Fuller is? Snee? Shakes head, sadly...


Of course! Didn’t we talk about him a few years ago in reference to White Dog?


You could have, but I've never seen that film so I wasn't a part of the conversation.
goat boy wrote:For so long now Matt has BCB defined himself as being in opposition to Coan. He’s the Batman to their Joker but they can't deal with Batman ditching the gothic gloom of Gotham for Paris in the spring.

User avatar
Jeemo
Posts: 20854
Joined: 21 Jul 2003, 23:17
Location: ????

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Postby Jeemo » 26 Dec 2017, 19:20

Matt Wilson wrote:
Davey the Fat Boy wrote:
Matt Wilson wrote:* Does no BCBer even know who Sam Fuller is? Snee? Shakes head, sadly...


Of course! Didn’t we talk about him a few years ago in reference to White Dog?


You could have, but I've never seen that film so I wasn't a part of the conversation.


There was a documentary on Fuller filmed during the making of this. Took me years to finally see the film.
Image So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

User avatar
Davey the Fat Boy
Posts: 23856
Joined: 05 Jan 2006, 02:55
Location: Applebees

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 26 Dec 2017, 19:25

Image

A slight but sweet Truffaut comedy. The third installment of the Antoine Doinel saga. Particularly interesting at this time in light of modern gender politics. It’s interesting how much agency Truffaut’s women have compared to the women in American films of the time. It’s also interesting watching Jean Pierre-Leaud’s Doinel slowly and cautiously approach self-awareness.
“Remember I have said good things about benevolent despots before.” - Jimbo

Image

User avatar
Darkness_Fish
Posts: 6515
Joined: 27 Jul 2015, 09:58

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Postby Darkness_Fish » 26 Dec 2017, 21:21

Image

The 2006 remake, rather than the vastly superior original. You have to say though, whatever it lacks in suspense, and sense, it certainly isn't lacking in genuine unpleasantness.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

User avatar
Jeemo
Posts: 20854
Joined: 21 Jul 2003, 23:17
Location: ????

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Postby Jeemo » 26 Dec 2017, 22:51

Finally got around to seeing Baby Driver, total waste of time and talent.
Image So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

User avatar
Geezee
Posts: 12383
Joined: 24 Jul 2003, 10:14
Location: Where joy divides into vision

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Postby Geezee » 27 Dec 2017, 14:58

Jeemo wrote:Finally got around to seeing Baby Driver, total waste of time and talent.


THANK YOU
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

User avatar
Darkness_Fish
Posts: 6515
Joined: 27 Jul 2015, 09:58

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Postby Darkness_Fish » 29 Dec 2017, 22:23

Image

Finally got round to watching this, and frankly I think it was pretty much what I expected, but a bit worse. I guess if I hadn't read Porno, I might not be as disappointed (not that the book is particularly good), but knowing the mood and plot of that work, this seems to be a very much sanitised version, almost made for TV, and it seems to have a desperate need to be sentimental and nostalgic.

It's stylish/stylised, and I guess enjoyable enough. But it feels a bit cheap, relying on past glories to get away with something insubstantial and a bit confused.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.