Return of the RECENT VIEWING

..and why not?
Davey the Fat Boy

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 25 Aug 2018, 17:46

Matt Wilson wrote:
Queimada
Brando himself considered this one of his best performances, and this 129 minute version (the original theatrical version ran 132 minutes) is the best home video version available. It's in German with English subtitles, and the English language version is strangely available as a bonus feature. The print is a bit washed out and the whole endeavor could use a restoration but we should be glad to have it as such. As a film it's okay, there are better movies about English imperialism and the creation of banana republics, but its importance in the Brando myth is important to me and as such, it comes recommended.

Saturday Night and Sunday Morning

Finney's breakthrough and one of the finest British films of the era. Is this the best kitchen sink drama? I dunno, is that term even in use anymore? Britain's new wave might not have panned out as much as the French one, but pictures like this, Look Back in Anger, A Taste of Honey, This Sporting Life, Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner, etc. have certainly stood the test of time. This is why I switched to a region-free disc player - this particular movie isn't even available in America on blu.

These are both great movies.

Do you actually buy all of these blu rays you post about?
“Remember I have said good things about benevolent despots before.” - Jimbo

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 25 Aug 2018, 17:48

Of course.

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 25 Aug 2018, 18:00

My wife would kill me.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 25 Aug 2018, 18:24

Don't have one of those anymore.

This Sporting Life

Another one of those classic British films not available in America on blu. It has by far the best Richard Harris performance I've seen. Too bad he didn't do more acting like this, though I quite enjoy him in many other things. There's a Brando-like feral quality to his acting which seemed like a blueprint for his entire career. Except he only seemed to tap into it in other roles, never to fully engage in this kind of physicality again. Definitely as good here as Finney was in Saturday Night and Sunday Morning, or O'Toole in Lawrence of Arabia. Rachel Roberts is great here as well, better than she was in Saturday Night...

mentalist (slight return)
under mi sensi

Postby mentalist (slight return) » 26 Aug 2018, 05:53

Dragged out one of my storage boxes of DVDs .In the mood for westerns. Starting off with the first of Ford's cavalry trilogy, She Wore A Yellow Ribbon.

king of the divan

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 26 Aug 2018, 15:38

Not a bad collection, I counted 12 titles I don't own.

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 27 Aug 2018, 20:39

Darkness_Fish wrote:Image

I was quite impressed with this, though I think it walks a fine line between attempting to be an articulate insightful film, and remembering to actually entertain the kids, and sometimes gets the balance wrong. The whole debate about whether laws are moral in and of themselves didn't seem to amuse Tom as much as the baby kicking the shit out of a racoon, for instance. Still, it's definitely a vast improvement on all the Marvel shit that gets vomited onto our screens at the moment.

Don't see many films these days because of the dearth of smaller US/UK films shown in Japanese theaters. Films like this get shown, however, and I'll go just for the fun house ride they offer. And this is a hell of a ride. I am awed by the amount of work and creativity that went into its making.
Question authority.

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 28 Aug 2018, 10:59

I watched Bronson, starring Tom Hardy. Really not sure why this film was made. Violent guy does violent things, goes to prison and is violent in prison. Pointless.
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 28 Aug 2018, 19:57

Absolutely dreadful. But that's kinda what we expected, given the 3.3 rating on imdb. Strangely, we watched it to the bitter end.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 29 Aug 2018, 20:55

Excellent.

And I got to ask the director a question in the Q&A that followed!
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 30 Aug 2018, 05:20

The Italian Job

In the continued absence of Alfie in hi def, I'll satisfy myself with this - another one of Caine's classic '60s Brit flicks. Though the disc was released in '09 it still looks great. Plenty of extras, two commentaries, "The Self Preservation Society," etc. What else do you wanna know? Still don't give a shit about those ugly little Mini Coopers though...

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 31 Aug 2018, 22:47

Night of The Hunter. A wee bit dated and creaky in a few places. Its still a masterpiece
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 03 Sep 2018, 00:16

How to Talk to Girls at Parties (2018)

A group of punk rock kids in 1977 Croydon go to the wrong party and meet a bunch of aliens (who resemble Cirque du Soleil performers), newly arrived on Earth to learn about different states of being. A rebellious alien girl is intrigued and follows one of the kids home to learn about The Punk Rock. This movie has a good energy through most of it, and some very funny parts, but the sentimental ending seems very tagged on and inconsistent with the tone of the movie otherwise. Not as good as you would have hoped, but also not as bad as it could have been considering that only the first approximate 15 minutes of the movie is directly based on the Neil Gaiman source short story.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

Tom Waits For No One

Postby Tom Waits For No One » 03 Sep 2018, 18:47

BOXO wrote:Image

Excellent.

And I got to ask the director a question in the Q&A that followed!

What did you ask him?
Give a shit or be a shit.

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 03 Sep 2018, 18:52

What the lads who actually did the heist thought of the film/how do they feel about it now.

He told me they're full of remorse but they've served their sentence and they're kind of resigned to it - at least in part - now.

He gave me a full, intelligent answer but I wanted him to address the point that now they've attained the fame they were seeking (by committing the crime) with the release of the film.
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Tom Waits For No One

Postby Tom Waits For No One » 03 Sep 2018, 19:11

BOXO wrote:What the lads who actually did the heist thought of the film/how do they feel about it now.

I think the last few 'to camera' bits the real lads do captures that well.

BOXO wrote:He told me they're full of remorse but they've served their sentence and they're kind of resigned to it - at least in part - now.

He gave me a full, intelligent answer but I wanted him to address the point that now they've attained the fame they were seeking (by committing the crime) with the release of the film.

Pity he didn't/couldn't answer that.
Give a shit or be a shit.

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 03 Sep 2018, 20:12

It is, yeah.

He also said that once the film was completed, they watched a pre-release cut with the librarian and her husband. She got hammered and he fell asleep! She was pleased with the way it all turned out, she said.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 06 Sep 2018, 04:59

Woman in the Window

From the same year as Double Indemnity, Laura, and Murder My Sweet, 1944 was probably the first great year for noir. This is a companion piece to next year's Scarlet Street, also by Fritz Lang, and both concern a femme fatale luring a man to his doom - though she's not really evil in this film. There's a cop-out ending, which didn't really ruin the picture for me. The script is outstanding and Robinson's luck after a muder couldn't be worse, and the encroaching suspense is like a nightmare. All very entertaining and well done. Joan Bennett wears a see-though top in her introductory scenes which surprised me that it made it past the production code. This could have been directed by Hitchcock.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 08 Sep 2018, 03:38

Paris Texas

Probably the coolest indie film (is that what it is?) of the '80s. More like a '70s picture, really. Harry Dean Stanton's greatest role, Ry Cooder's best soundtrack, and the whole thing is a Matt movie supreme.

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 08 Sep 2018, 05:17

Matt Wilson wrote:Image
Paris Texas

Probably the coolest indie film (is that what it is?) of the '80s. More like a '70s picture, really. Harry Dean Stanton's greatest role, Ry Cooder's best soundtrack, and the whole thing is a Matt movie supreme.

I wanted to like it. Usually slow isn’t a problem for me. Somehow it was with this one.

Return to “Screenadelica”