Return of the RECENT VIEWING

..and why not?
Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Postby Jimbo » 30 Apr 2018, 13:55

sloopjohnc wrote:
Jeemo wrote:saw the new Avengers movie last night with the boys, great fun if you like that sort of thing, which I do.

The movie reviewer in my paper said there was just too much there there. Too many plots and too many characters.

Indeed the new Avengers movie was overstuffed with battles, characters, and where the fuck did those wheelie things come from? That aside, it was one of the best movies I ever saw. Maybe it's my old man emotions but it was so good I had tears and a runny nose throughout almost the entire movie. All those old friend reunions killed me, as did the deaths, rebirths, jokes, humanity and magic. The politics were interesting, too with none too subtle shades of 9/11, the Holocaust, ISIS and Syria. And while Captain America is in the cast he doesn't brandish his famous shield implying to me that America is no longer the heroic nation it was. But the effort, artisanship, craft, overall cleverness and downright psychedelic effects made for a wonderful evening at the movies. And I mean at the theater. I couldn't imagine seeing this on my living room flatscreen.
Question authority.

driftin

Postby driftin » 30 Apr 2018, 16:32

ImageImage

I liked both of these quite a bit.

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 30 Apr 2018, 23:14

Violet and Daisy (2011)

Setting aside that critics at the time rightfully pegged this movie as a weak Tarantino knock off, there are so many things wrong here, so many things that flat don't make any sense. The titular characters would be the world's worst assassins in the real world, and their rivals almost as bad. The conceit of the deadly assassins who are ordinary teenage girls might be good for a laugh or two, but we can't buy the "assassins with hearts of gold" crap when we also know that they're bloodthirsty sociopaths who glory in killing and reveling in gore.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

driftin

Postby driftin » 02 May 2018, 17:48

Decent modern exploitation film that harks back to nasty 1970s thrillers like Deliverance and Straw Dogs but with a modern feminist twist.

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 04 May 2018, 19:47

War for the Planet of the Apes (2017)

The Caesar saga continues, as men continue to de-evolve and apes (improbably, given their small breeding base) continue growing in numbers. I found this movie pretty dreary. Woody Harrelson is good in it, but he's good in everything, isn't he? The first in this series was an interesting reboot, but I don't think we needed the sequels.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 05 May 2018, 21:37

Probably about the 300th time I've seen it, whichever version this particular poster is referring too. I was that wound up by my ignorant cunt of a brother that I just wanted something ... er ... cosy and familiar.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 06 May 2018, 01:08

Showed The Exorcist to my eldest daughter last year after building it up to be the scariest movie ever, blah, blah, blah. I probably should've shut my mouth because she wasn't scared at all.

Kids.

Dead Man

Not for everybody. An acid western with plenty of allusions to William Blake's poetry and different Native American cultures filmed in black and white with a Neil Young soundtrack and an Iggy Pop scene starring Johnny Depp, it plods along preaching to the converted and offering nothing to the masses. I love it, of course. Had it come out in the '70s it would be hailed as a classic.
More Jim Jarmusch to follow.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 06 May 2018, 20:41

Matt Wilson wrote:Showed The Exorcist to my eldest daughter last year after building it up to be the scariest movie ever, blah, blah, blah. I probably should've shut my mouth because she wasn't scared at all.

Kids.

Funny thing is, I've never really considered it particularly scary at all. However, as a film, I think it's shot superbly, its pacing is spot on, and for a horror film to have such a fully realised, coherent narrative is pretty rare. From start to finish, it works, and leaves no openings for a crappy sequel. Which they then made anyway. It's also probably quite weird for a supernatural film concerning obscure frowned-upon practices to have such a buy-in from the Catholic church, too. Makes you wonder what they thought they'd get out of it.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 06 May 2018, 21:16

Well when I was a kid we did think it was the scariest movie ever. And as a Catholic I guess it did have more resonance for me than your average moviegoer. Of course seeing it now it’s just a little girl with make up on. It is an extremely well directed Film though as you say.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 06 May 2018, 21:23

Over the weekend we watched the Maysles "Salesman" which was an extraordinary time capsule.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 07 May 2018, 21:27

^^^ Great one, that Maysles doc.

Slow and quiet, but confidently mesmerizing, this is probably Reichart's best work yet. It's certainly the most accomplished cast she's worked with.
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 08 May 2018, 04:53

Darkness_Fish wrote:Image

I had seen already seen the Exorcist and it scared the shit out of me but one late afternoon I was hanging out with my recently divorced - and bored - older sister and her two boys 6 and 7 years old. Sis suggested we go to a drive-in movie. She and I could watch the movie while the boys slept in the back of the car. We looked in the paper and she spied The Exorcist. I said, "Oh no, sis. You don't want to bring the boys to that one. It's too scary." The boys hearing me say this were now interested and my sister insisted they'd be asleep before we knew it. So we went to the drive in, hung the speaker in the window and seconds after the music started the boys started crying in fear. I felt sorry for the kids but sis was hard. "Go to sleep!" she screamed at them but when the idol statue appears from the Iraqi desert they screamed and cried even more frantically. While she could handle their crying, only some minutes into the film I couldn't and took command. I started the car and drove off. (Yes, I replaced the speaker.)
Question authority.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 08 May 2018, 05:35

The Rocky Heavyweight Collection

I was just going to show my daughter the first one, but the box was only 20 bucks so I figured... Anyway, here's my breakdown of the six pictures:
Rocky - The first is still easily the best. Stallone really had something here. He was wise to make the character likeable - he never talks shit about anybody, and he's nice. Still one of the best sports films ever.
Rocky 2 - Not a bad sequel, except he wins this time, which was the only thing different about it. Nice chemistry with Talia Shire in both movies.
Rocky 3 - The cartoon aspect of the series starts here. It's the eighties, and Stallone looks better with a more streamlined body and he doesn't seem so stupid anymore. And Paulie is completely obnoxious. It's apparent he's never gonna have any redeeming qualities.
Rocky 4 - Equally cartoon-like, but possibly even more so. The patriotism makes this possibly the weakest of the series. But still entertaining. It probably should have stopped here.
Rocky 5 - I'm gonna say this is the worst. Rocky trains a younger fighter because he's now too old but of course he has to fight the younger guy at the end of the picture.... and win. LOL...
Rocky Balboa - Overlook the completely unbelievable plot, where Rocky, as a guy in his late '50s fights the current boxing champion and almost wins, and focus on the pathos and pain, and it's surprisingly good.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 08 May 2018, 09:36

Just about tolerable pointless adventure flick. For a film which seems aimed at particularly young kids, it sure does concentrate a lot on knob gags.

driftin

Postby driftin » 12 May 2018, 17:36

Superb.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 17 May 2018, 04:58

Mystery Train
Interesting Jarmusch picture which I hadn't seen since it came out. The three stories are no more than perfunctory with the Memphis ambience carrying the entire endeavor. Joe Strummer, Screaming Jay Hawkins and Rufus Thomas all make appearances. Worth the time if you're a fan - had the screenplay been better with some snappy dialogue it could've been a minor classic.

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 19 May 2018, 08:29

I watched Citizen Kane last night. God knows how many times I've watched this. A masterpiece.
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 20 May 2018, 02:15

Suspiria

As someone who first saw this on a VHS cassette, let me assure you - it has *never* looked this good. The colors are blinding in their saturation. And folks, color is what Suspiria is all about. The story is barely there, the acting nonexistent. Goblin's music is fun, and even memorable, but sometime it overpowers the scenes. But the color scheme is unlike anything you've ever seen before. The picture's dream logic is entirely dependent on the cinematography. Fans of Eurohorror will eat this up.

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 20 May 2018, 03:23

Jimbo wrote:
Darkness_Fish wrote:Image

I had seen already seen the Exorcist and it scared the shit out of me but one late afternoon I was hanging out with my recently divorced - and bored - older sister and her two boys 6 and 7 years old. Sis suggested we go to a drive-in movie. She and I could watch the movie while the boys slept in the back of the car. We looked in the paper and she spied The Exorcist. I said, "Oh no, sis. You don't want to bring the boys to that one. It's too scary." The boys hearing me say this were now interested and my sister insisted they'd be asleep before we knew it. So we went to the drive in, hung the speaker in the window and seconds after the music started the boys started crying in fear. I felt sorry for the kids but sis was hard. "Go to sleep!" she screamed at them but when the idol statue appears from the Iraqi desert they screamed and cried even more frantically. While she could handle their crying, only some minutes into the film I couldn't and took command. I started the car and drove off. (Yes, I replaced the speaker.)

I was 8 when my babysitter took me to see it. Somehow it didn’t bother me much, so I ended up going again a few weeks later. That time it freaked me out...causing me nightmares for years after.
“Remember I have said good things about benevolent despots before.” - Jimbo

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 21 May 2018, 11:50

Recently:

(again) - good fun, not quite classic. I might start a thread on Jack soon. Always enthralling, but always the same act

a blast, with two spectacular lead performances (and everybody else was lots of fun), but I got completely lost in the dialogue at times which was possibly the fastest I've ever seen in a film - almost a gimmick, really

codswallop, I turned it off half an hour before the end. I'd been led to believe it was really good, but all the well-worn modern crime thriller tropes were present and correct, and a confusing plot just fucked me off. I really hate modern film-making sometimes

Emily Blunt is fucking gorgeous, tho'. Just my type. Kind of a distraction really
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Return to “Screenadelica”