Return of the RECENT VIEWING

..and why not?
pcqgod

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Postby pcqgod » 19 May 2017, 16:11

Colossal (2017)

Anne Hathaway plays a woman going through a breakup and hard times in general who discovers that she is causing a giant monster to materialize and cause great destruction in South Korea. The movie is actually fairly dark and grounded in real-world problems than you would expect from this offbeat premise. Jason Sudeikis provides a surprisingly weighty performance.

Coherence (2013)

A group of friends meet for a dinner party as Miller's Comet makes a close fly-by of Earth. Things start getting weird and they discover that the comet has somehow created an alternate reality version of themselves in a nearby house. Then they realize that things are far worse, and multiple different reality versions of themselves are running around and getting mixed up. I liked this one a lot. Very creepy and fun.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

PresMuffley

Postby PresMuffley » 20 May 2017, 16:13

Gave these a watch on TCM last night even though I own them both on DVD and have seen each countless times.

I'll always associate Cool Hand Luke with my dad, since it was one of his favorites and he turned me on to it when I was a teen. Luke's character reminds me a lot of him as well.

Bonnie and Clyde doesn't have as much sentimental currency with me but it is still an all-time favorite - though, unlike Cool Hand Luke, it didn't make my list of 50 for that game or whatever it is here that is apparently never going to begin.

1967 was an amazing year for U.S. cinema. I'd love to see these two on the big screen one day.
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 20 May 2017, 21:15

PresMuffley wrote:Image

Gave these a watch on TCM last night even though I own them both on DVD and have seen each countless times.

I'll always associate Cool Hand Luke with my dad, since it was one of his favorites and he turned me on to it when I was a teen. Luke's character reminds me a lot of him as well.

That's one of my all-time favourite films, Paul Newman's performance is absolutely towering, and George Kennedy is superb in support. It's a kind of a parallel to One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, though I think Luke's character is more nuanced and more human than Mac. I don't think I've watched it nearly as often as I should have.
Saving my holier-than-thou nonsense for a more deserving cause since '82

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 20 May 2017, 21:20

Been yonks since I've seen this, but because the weather was crappy today, the three of us sat down and had a cinema afternoon. Tom loved it, but Jesus Christ that kid can talk. I've never been asked so many questions in a film, from was Hitler alive then, where actually is the ark, is that Han Solo, when Lou's cousin gets married next year, was the girl who's going to be the bride alive when Hitler was...

For my part, what I managed to watch of the film, the set pieces really stand up quite well, but it seems a really fractured narrative that doesn't actually flow that well. The studio shots masquerading as outside, rather than location pieces, seem to have dated quite badly in places.
Saving my holier-than-thou nonsense for a more deserving cause since '82

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 21 May 2017, 04:49

The Accidental Tourist
One of Kasdan's best films, with a perfectly modulated performance by Hurt of a man genetically predisposed to go through life hating change in any form, who is forced to endure first the loss of his son and then the ending of his marriage. Whatever happened to William Hurt, anyway? Great in Altered States, Body Heat, The Big Chill, Kiss of the Spider Woman, Children of a Lesser God, Broadcast News and this - all in the eighties. Relegated to second-hand status since then. Oh, he was nominated again for History of Violence in 2005, I guess. Geena Davis won the oscar for this film as well.
Sneelock wrote:Bang your head on the floor. It''s about as productive as arguing with Davey but at least you have something to show for it.

inside-out fox
hounds people off the board

Postby inside-out fox » 21 May 2017, 07:38

Both Geena Davis and William Hurt are amazing in this, aren't they? I fell in love with Geena, I remember. Great film.

The last thing I saw Hurt in was some non-fiction thing where he played Dick Cheney. He was very good.
Jimbo wrote:You must read this along with the essay I posted and then keep wondering why America is so extreme.

Still Baron wrote:The essay that you posted was absolute nonsense and unworthy of further comment.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 21 May 2017, 14:58

Yeah, he's still around and working - I looked him up and he's 67. It's just ironic how he was this big leading man in the '80s and almost overnight became a supporting player in the '90s. Is it just because he was losing his hair, or because his films weren't big box office? I'd suspect he has an opinion or two on the matter.
Sneelock wrote:Bang your head on the floor. It''s about as productive as arguing with Davey but at least you have something to show for it.

Jeemo

Postby Jeemo » 21 May 2017, 23:56

At the cinema with the wee guy tonight. His choice, King Arthur. Hopeless on just about every possible level. I know it's not aimed at a guy in his mid 50's but by christ this is really rubbish. How does Guy Ritchie manage to still make films? Hopefully he's a busted flush after the money lost on this pile of plop.
Image So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 22 May 2017, 02:37

We watched Crimes and Misdemeanours last night, my first time of seeing it. What a great film.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 22 May 2017, 04:22

Minnie the Minx wrote:We watched Crimes and Misdemeanours last night, my first time of seeing it. What a great film.

One of his greatest.

Ranking Ted

Postby Ranking Ted » 25 May 2017, 22:08

Minnie the Minx wrote:We watched Crimes and Misdemeanours last night, my first time of seeing it. What a great film.

Yes, it's terrific. One where the balance of weighty drama and humour works.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 26 May 2017, 14:20

The Wanderers

I don't know what I would think of this period piece if I was seeing it now for the first time, but I loved it as a kid and it holds up fairly well. New York City gangs in 1963 with a rock 'n roll soundtrack from a time when it was a lot less common than it soon would be.

inside-out fox
hounds people off the board

Postby inside-out fox » 26 May 2017, 14:33

Ranking Ted wrote:

Yes - it really does.

It's probably my favourite of his. Landau is spellbinding.
Jimbo wrote:You must read this along with the essay I posted and then keep wondering why America is so extreme.

Still Baron wrote:The essay that you posted was absolute nonsense and unworthy of further comment.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 26 May 2017, 14:43

KATANGA MY FRIEND! wrote:
Ranking Ted wrote:

Yes - it really does.

It's probably my favourite of his. Landau is spellbinding.

He is. He is. I have rarely been more furious with a character. His passivity that his privilege allowed him and the way he found internal peace, like some kind of blessed spirit hovering on the periphery of his own life, drove me bananas. The day after I saw it I was ranting at Baron in the car about him. I was still angry!
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

The Great Defector

Postby The Great Defector » 26 May 2017, 14:46

I had high hopes for this as I loved the first one, but at the end of the day, meh. The story and individual storylines falling in to place were fine, but their use of humor was over done. Moments when you were suppose to be worried or someone was suppose to come across as evil or menacing were ruined by needless jokes. This caused the characters building up to be seen as evil or menacing ruined with one line of humor. It also got a bit too touchy feely at the end as well. The song choice for certain scenes were so wrong and badly chosen it's was awful.

It was enjoyable but nothing new.
Loki wrote:You Brit boys are so contentious!

Darryl Strawberry

Postby Darryl Strawberry » 26 May 2017, 23:15

La La Land.

Probably the worst film I've seen in the past ten years.
Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
John Coan, with nothing else to do, wrote:I just Googled his name!

Jeemo

Postby Jeemo » 27 May 2017, 01:23

K wrote:La La Land.

Not seen Manchester by The Sea then?

Darryl Strawberry

Postby Darryl Strawberry » 27 May 2017, 07:54

Jeemo wrote:

:)
Review noted.
Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
John Coan, with nothing else to do, wrote:I just Googled his name!

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 28 May 2017, 20:16

K wrote:
Jeemo wrote:

Review noted.

Manchester By The Sea is an incredible film.
Marginal BCB contributor since 2006

Jeemo

Postby Jeemo » 28 May 2017, 20:34

Davey the Fat Boy wrote:
K wrote:
Jeemo wrote:

Review noted.

Manchester By The Sea is an incredible film.

I found it completely unengaging. Affleck who I like as an actor was totally blank, no real insight into grief. just staring and being silent. His nephew was a total pain in the arse. The use of the classical music was manipulative beyond belief after it being so low key through out. Apart from that.....