Return of the RECENT VIEWING

..and why not?
THE FILING FEE
hounds people off the board

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Postby THE FILING FEE » 01 May 2017, 01:25

HBO? Watched some of it last night. One of the very worst films I've ever seen. Absolute cack.
BB wrote:The exodus of posters from here over the years can be put directly at your door. Many people don't agree, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 01 May 2017, 03:27

World on a Wire (1973)

Interesting German made-for-television drama involving scientists who create an entire virtual world that one can enter, populated by sentient, virtual people. Yes, it's The Matrix before The Matrix, except with far less people floating in the air and kung fu.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

THE FILING FEE

Postby THE FILING FEE » 01 May 2017, 09:45

Loved the scenes in the War Room - very witty dialogue and amazing set design - most of the rest just bored me.

The on-plane scenes near the end with the repeated military rat-a-tat were absolutely interminable.
BB wrote:The exodus of posters from here over the years can be put directly at your door. Many people don't agree, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 01 May 2017, 20:40

Saving my holier-than-thou nonsense for a more deserving cause since '82

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 01 May 2017, 20:47

If you liked that, Darkness Fish, you should check out Prince of the City next. It's Lumet's sort of follow up to Serpico.

Woman of the Year

I love these two, and this could be their best work together (not that I've seen them all). It does have some issues though. I don't think there's too much wrong with the Hepburn character, but 'old Spence does - and this being a film from 1942, he has to domesticate her in order for them to be happy. The picture condones it and the ending is awkward - but the chemistry is there. And wasn't Kate beautiful?
John 'master of temperance and tolerance' Coan wrote:Oh calm down for fuck's sake!

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 02 May 2017, 09:51

Matt Wilson wrote:If you liked that, Darkness Fish, you should check out Prince of the City next. It's Lumet's sort of follow up to Serpico.

Cheers, I'll make a note of that. I like the whole gritty 70s cop aesthetic, the likes of this, The Conversation (not strictly cop, but same ballpark), French Connection, etc. I do hope Pacino won the Oscar for best supporting facial hair. Another really strong performance by him, though I thought a lot of the supporting cast were a bit weak, especially the later girlfriend.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 02 May 2017, 09:52

An early teen violent wank fantasy. How/why do films like this get made?

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 02 May 2017, 10:15

Carol

I’m a bit puzzled by the rave reviews this received. I thought it was good, it looked great (loved all that 50s period detail) and Blanchett was very good but it left me pretty much unmoved I have to say. I thought the young lass was a bit of a drip frankly.

One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest

I forgot how comedic the whole thing is. I mean, it’s laugh out loud throughout which some might see as a criticism I guess but then the movie isn’t really about patients with mental health issues, is it? There’s still moments when you are confronted with the sadness and horror of the situation, in particular from Cheswick and the whole electro shock therapy scene which only makes it even more shocking however. It doesn’t bother me though. It’s one of the best ensemble casts for any movie really and there is huge pleasure in watching these performances and whilst it’s manipulative, maybe too manipulative at times - I know some folk find it simplistic - it is magnificent and moving. In fact I think its relative simplistic nature is what makes it so great. It would be a hard heart that didn’t get a bit emotional when Chief does his thing, accompanied by that ethereal bow saw. Jack is at peak Jackness here although I think he’s slightly better in the Last Detail which is the greater movie.

Deliverance

Time can’t diminish the awfulness of the rape scene, can it? Truly one of the most uncomfortable scenes in film history. John Boormans rural horror film where urban man comes unstuck against both nature and his fellow man is a great, haunting film. Watching it again it struck me how it emphasises the consequences of violence on the individual.
Copehead wrote:You are making a fool of yourself.

Muskrat wrote:I'm undemonstrative during shows; no matter how much I enjoy them. People who get up and move around ("dance," if they will) strike me as show-offs

THE FILING FEE

Postby THE FILING FEE » 02 May 2017, 10:56

Goat Boy wrote:One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest

I forgot how comedic the whole thing is. I mean, it’s laugh out loud throughout which some might see as a criticism I guess but then the movie isn’t really about patients with mental health issues, is it? There’s still moments when you are confronted with the sadness and horror of the situation, in particular from Cheswick and the whole electro shock therapy scene which only makes it even more shocking however. It doesn’t bother me though. It’s one of the best ensemble casts for any movie really and there is huge pleasure in watching these performances and whilst it’s manipulative, maybe too manipulative at times - I know some folk find it simplistic - it is magnificent and moving. In fact I think its relative simplistic nature is what makes it so great. It would be a hard heart that didn’t get a bit emotional when Chief does his thing, accompanied by that ethereal bow saw. Jack is at peak Jackness here although I think he’s slightly better in the Last Detail which is the greater movie.

Forman was famous for arranging and working with great ensemble casts. If you haven't seen The Firemen's Ball then you really should, D. It's arguably the greatest film to come out the Czech New Wave, it's probably Forman's best pre-Hollywood effort (I know some prefer Loves of a Blonde), and I'm sure the comedy would appeal to you (it's funny for most of its length, but like Cuckoo's, there's a sad ending). It's nice and short, too.

Miloš Forman is a fucking hero to me. There's so much humanity and so much humour in what he did.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 02 May 2017, 11:31

I'll add it to my spreadsheet
Copehead wrote:You are making a fool of yourself.

Muskrat wrote:I'm undemonstrative during shows; no matter how much I enjoy them. People who get up and move around ("dance," if they will) strike me as show-offs

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 02 May 2017, 11:39

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest is one of the few examples of a great film of a great book. I think the film might edge it, even though it does very closely follow the source material, just because of the power of Nicholson's performance, although the entire cast is superb. The problem with having seen the film first, is that no matter how well the book describes the McMurphy character, it's not possible to visualise him as anything but Jack. The character of The Chief makes more sense within the confines of the novel though, as he's the main narrator, and because he's a schizophrenic his mental state is pretty much used as a measure of the positive impact of the freedom of McMurphy against the oppression and tyranny of Nurse Ratchid.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 02 May 2017, 15:52

I fuckin' looooooooooooove Cuckoo's Nest. There is no better Jack performance or movie (sorry Chintatown or Last Detail fans).

Hell, I love Deliverance too. Even read the book.
John 'master of temperance and tolerance' Coan wrote:Oh calm down for fuck's sake!

THE FILING FEE

Postby THE FILING FEE » 02 May 2017, 20:58

Matt Wilson wrote:I fuckin' looooooooooooove Cuckoo's Nest. There is no better Jack performance or movie (sorry Chintatown or Last Detail fans).

I'm surprised Dougie didn't agree.

And it's nice to see plain simple unadorned enthusiasm for a film. I fucking looooooooooooooooooooooove it too!

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 02 May 2017, 21:16

Nicholson was in a lot of classics though, wasn't he? I'd add Easy Rider, Five Easy Pieces and The Shining to that list. I like Reds, Terms of Endearment, Prizzi's Honor, A Few Good Men, As Good as it Gets, and The Departed an awful lot as well.
Last edited by Matt Wilson on 02 May 2017, 21:18, edited 1 time in total.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 02 May 2017, 21:17

We should do a poll of Nicholson, Pacino, and DeNiro in terms of who has more great movies on their resume.

THE FILING FEE

Postby THE FILING FEE » 02 May 2017, 21:45

Matt Wilson wrote:Nicholson was in a lot of classics though, wasn't he? I'd add Easy Rider, Five Easy Pieces and The Shining to that list. I like Reds, Terms of Endearment, Prizzi's Honor, A Few Good Men, As Good as it Gets, and The Departed an awful lot as well.

He was also great in Carnal Knowledge (which is often forgotten) and of course The King Of Marvin Gardens.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 03 May 2017, 02:45

Oh, I love Carnal Knowledge. Not so keen on KOMG.

fire and fueryIre

Postby fire and fueryIre » 03 May 2017, 08:49

Darkness_Fish wrote:One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest is one of the few examples of a great film of a great book. I think the film might edge it, even though it does very closely follow the source material, just because of the power of Nicholson's performance, although the entire cast is superb. The problem with having seen the film first, is that no matter how well the book describes the McMurphy character, it's not possible to visualise him as anything but Jack. The character of The Chief makes more sense within the confines of the novel though, as he's the main narrator, and because he's a schizophrenic his mental state is pretty much used as a measure of the positive impact of the freedom of McMurphy against the oppression and tyranny of Nurse Ratchid.

Agreed. While it does follow large parts of the source material quite closely, screenwriters Lawrence Hoben and Bo Goldman wisely jettisoned the whole Chief Brombden sub-plot from the book as it would have slowed the whole pace of the movie to a crawl.

Luckily, I'd read the book before seeing the movie so was never really encumbered with picturing JN as RPM (clever punning by KK there!).

As someone else said, it would be interesting to see who out of AL, RDN and JN did the most 'great' movies. That said, JN was really on the top of his game in almost every film he did back then.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 04 May 2017, 22:21

Rockshow

Filmed in '76, released in '80. It's exactly like his triple-live Wings Over America LP. Same set list, same sequencing, etc. No backstage footage. Still, it's our Paulie in all his mid seventies glory.

To Live and Die in LA
Probably Friedkin's best '80s movie - which isn't to say it's great or anything, but certainly serviceable. Dafoe should've stuck to villains as he is a natural, and William Petersen still had an edge at this early stage in his career (he was good in Manhunter as well - still playing a cop if memory serves?) There's a truly laughable Wang Chung soundtrack (yes, you read that right) which makes this movie more of a timepiece than it needs to be.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 07 May 2017, 20:31

Meh. The early scenes led me to believe this was going to be very worthy and dull, yet the sinister brain-washing plot quickly stepped up the looniness by multiple factors. And then I lost interest, and stuff was happening, but it didn't really occur to me to check what.

Return to “Screenadelica”