Return of the RECENT VIEWING

..and why not?
northernsky

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Postby northernsky » 11 Apr 2020, 00:23

Absolutely terrific Good Friday watching. What a pleasure that Schrader still has the piss and vinegar to devise this kind of movie, and still finds the resources to make it.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 11 Apr 2020, 02:27

northernsky wrote:Image

Absolutely terrific Good Friday watching. What a pleasure that Schrader still has the piss and vinegar to devise this kind of movie, and still finds the resources to make it.

And Alan Hansen still looks hot as hell!
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 14 Apr 2020, 14:11

Magnificent.

I felt Bujold handled the proceedings leading up to her dramatic demise marginally better than Foy in Wolf Hall but both productions are remarkable depictions.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 18 Apr 2020, 14:39

We watched "Being There" last night, which I hadn't seen for about 40 years. What a film.I had completely forgotten about the ending - and also the bedroom scene with Sellers and Rand's wife. Pitch perfect, gentle and so beautifully observed.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 20 Apr 2020, 08:25

The Spy Who Came In from the Cold (1965)

It was the first time I'd ever watched this and every minute is taut. Burton was superb, needless to say.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 11 May 2020, 15:29

I've been watching a lot of comedy on Netflix - and am surprised to find how funny I find Jim Gaffigan.
Last night I found a new sketch show by Iliza Shlesinger, who is funny as all fuck. I recommend her.
We've been doing quite a lot of Criterion watching and saw a fabulous short about Barbara Hammer called "Audience" the other day - like so many of the other short films on there, it's an absolute time capsule and a complete joy.
I had also forgotten how wonderful "Benidorm" is and we've been watching that - Sheila Reid is outstanding.

Dr Markus wrote:

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 11 May 2020, 17:45

I heartily concur with the two Burton recommendations. Yet neither are as good as Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 13 May 2020, 16:34

Snarfyguy wrote:Can't wait to see Parasite. Meanwhile,

Midsommar is not "an era-defining masterpiece,"* in my opinion, but it was pretty effective, and fun to watch.

*per the blurb on the cover of a different edition of the home video

Yeah, I watched that last night. Not sure what to say really - it’s basically a way sexier Wicker Man isn’t it? But absolutely beautiful to behold- I mean absolutely gorgeous. Some great, tempered performances too considering- I don’t know that I would either watch it again or recommend it to anyone but it is certainly fascinating!

Dr Markus wrote:

Positive Passion

Postby Positive Passion » 20 May 2020, 18:41

Just watched The Magnificent Ambersons on bbc iplayer. Welles really did have stunning vision.

I'll rewatch Citizen Kane next.