Return of the RECENT VIEWING

..and why not?
Samoan

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Postby Samoan » 25 Jan 2020, 16:11

Jimbo wrote:One Jimbo alert. An unsuccessful attempt to assassinate the king by an Irish republican prompts a character to say that she didn't believe in "conspiracy theories." That is an anachronism. The term was invented by the CIA after the JFK killing to describe the spate of unofficial theories left in the actual conspiracy's wake. My Jimbo says this is a favor to the current MI5 to remind viewers to disbelieve conspiracy theories. Maybe MI5 helped with the financing.

Woah there :) I think it's more Julian Fellowes' penchant for peppering the script with jarringly painful modern expressions. He did that frequently in the TV series (plural) and it made me wince. Anyway, glad you enjoyed it, I haven't got round to it yet but I'm hoping Maggie Smith and Penelope Wilton will be in feisty combat. I like to see Wilton's peevish prune face when Smith outsmarts her.
Charlie O. wrote: Do you have to be high, or something?

Tom Waits For No One

Postby Tom Waits For No One » 26 Jan 2020, 16:21

Worth a quick squint if you have a spare hour and a bit.
Give a shit or be a shit.

Tom Waits For No One

Postby Tom Waits For No One » 27 Jan 2020, 18:39

On Sky Arts last night.

Fab.
Give a shit or be a shit.

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 27 Jan 2020, 20:25

Doodlebug Summer Part 1

This popped up this morning on Channel 8, London Live and it stupefied me.

As Hitler faced certain defeat, he turned to his V weapons and launched them in a vengeful and bloody campaign against Britain. This is the story of the havoc caused by the V1 `doodlebugs' and V2 rockets, and of the deaths that undermined the morale of a war-weary civilian population.

"At frequent intervals we heard the dreaded staccato burble of an approaching V1 and it was our job to warn the neighbours if it was thought there was a threat to the immediate vicinity.

The V1 had a peculiar technical characteristic inasmuch as that, when the guidance system tilted the craft downwards, the engine completely cut-out due to fuel shortage, giving a few seconds silent warning that it was about to plummet from the sky."

https://tv24.co.uk/b/q4pjq0-1tj2

Upcoming broadcasts of Parts 2 to 5
=

• Friday January 31, 9:30pm on London Live

•Sunday February 2, 9:30am on London Live

•Wednesday February 5, 10:30am on London Live

•Friday February 7, 9:30pm on London Live

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 02 Feb 2020, 02:12

A home run. Every bit as good as I'd hoped.

Reminded me of Kurosawa's "High and Low" a bit
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 02 Feb 2020, 18:27

Nice.

Karen's church organ rendition of "You Can't Always Get What You Want" by the Rolling Stones at the climax of the funeral proceedings is perfection.