Return of the RECENT VIEWING

..and why not?
User avatar
Polishgirl
Posts: 9407
Joined: 21 Dec 2009, 22:06

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Postby Polishgirl » 08 Feb 2019, 20:51

Incredible, isn’t it!
echolalia wrote: I despise Prefab Sprout. It will be decades before “hot dog, jumping frog, Albuquerque” is surpassed as the most terrible lyric in pop history. That fucking bastard ruined all three things for me forever.

User avatar
Ella Megalast Burls
funky thigh collector
Posts: 30103
Joined: 29 Dec 2006, 16:00
Location: In the naughty North and in the sexy South

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Postby Ella Megalast Burls » 10 Feb 2019, 14:25

We watched ‘The Favourite’ last night which was good fun. Visually spectacular.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

User avatar
echolalia
Posts: 4681
Joined: 21 Jul 2006, 02:23
Location: Way Out West

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Postby echolalia » 11 Feb 2019, 18:52

The North Yorks Moors wrote:

Difficult not to like.

There’s a funny continuity slip in this film – at least I think there is. It’s in a scene where a guy is eating spaghetti and clams. The picture cuts away from the clams, then back again, and in the interval (barely a couple of seconds) a new heap of pasta has appeared on the guy’s plate! Or maybe I was just very hungry at the time.

User avatar
pcqgod
Posts: 17536
Joined: 11 Apr 2010, 07:23
Location: Texas

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Postby pcqgod » 12 Feb 2019, 01:54

Image

The Wandering Earth (2019)

50 or so years in the future, the sun begins dying, prompting the nations of Earth to join in a millennias-long project that will propel Earth to a new solar system via giant engines. This movie comes across as a distillation of 50 years of Hollywood blockbuster sci-fi movies, magnified to the nth power. Besides the imaginative premise, some really striking visuals, and generally a pretty fun adventure, if a bit long, and the climax seems to go on forever.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

User avatar
Jeemo
Posts: 20889
Joined: 21 Jul 2003, 23:17
Location: ????

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Postby Jeemo » 12 Feb 2019, 22:06

I watched Performance a few nights ago. I picked it up on bluray in a 2 for 15 deal, along with Lost Horizon. I saw it years ago on telly and to be honest didn't think that much of it. I think having adverts throughout it probably spoiled the flow.

The real joy this time round was James Fox. What a performance, a million miles away from his usual roles. Totally convincing as Chaz. Jagger was good but it wasn't really much of a stretch for him to play. Anita was gorgeous and the bath water was filthy.

So how much was the finished film Cammell or Roeg? To me it looks more in line with Roegs style but I've only seen one other Cammell film, Demon Seed which I don't really remember much about. Anyone seen Cammell's other movies.
Image So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

User avatar
Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure
Posts: 53240
Joined: 21 Jul 2003, 19:04
Location: New York

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Postby Snarfyguy » 12 Feb 2019, 22:07

Image

This was excellent! Really funny stuff. Highly recommended.

Image

This was sweet and good-natured and raised a few chuckles.

Image

This was mostly pretty good, but Denis Leary, still, really?
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

caramba
Posts: 761
Joined: 25 Aug 2016, 17:12

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Postby caramba » 13 Feb 2019, 12:10

Image[/url]


So many great, great John Huston movies, but this late period masterpiece would surely be in his top five.

Have always adored the film since I first saw it on the big screen in Leicester Square forty-odd years ago.

Caught it again for about the thousandth time on BBC over the weekend.

They really do not make movies like this any more more's the pity.

There being no CGI everything went on the script, the setting and the actors.

Even Connery's fall from the bridge at the end was done by a stuntman.

User avatar
Ella Megalast Burls
funky thigh collector
Posts: 30103
Joined: 29 Dec 2006, 16:00
Location: In the naughty North and in the sexy South

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Postby Ella Megalast Burls » 19 Feb 2019, 22:51

We watched ‘The Selfish Giant’ the other weekend -set in Bradford, my hometown.
I’m used to films set in Bradford being relentlessly miserable but this was most certainly pushing it, with barely a breath of relief from the savage poverty and general sadness. Even the really awful bits were absolutely jaw droppingly awful and left you pretty stunned.
Yeah, so enjoy! :D
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

User avatar
pcqgod
Posts: 17536
Joined: 11 Apr 2010, 07:23
Location: Texas

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Postby pcqgod » 24 Feb 2019, 23:43

Image

Stan and Ollie (2019)

Really enjoyed this, although it seemed to me this presented as much a sanitized version of real events as 'Bohemian Rhapsody' did.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

User avatar
Tom Waits For No One
Posts: 3174
Joined: 14 Nov 2014, 08:05

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Postby Tom Waits For No One » 25 Feb 2019, 00:10

Butch Manly wrote:Image

Saw this at the cinema on Thursday. Following Pinochet's bloody, CIA-backed toppling of Allende - the man who gave Chileans too much hope - in 1973, people around the world protested in their own ways, be it taking to the streets, boycotting Chilean produce or whatever. Thousands of miles from Santiago in East Kilbride, Bob, an engineer at the Hawker Sidley plant, spots that eight Rolls Royce jet engines, due to be serviced and refurbished, have come from Chile. In an act of solidarity with the people of Chile, he "blacks" the engines, meaning no one is to touch them since they are now under dispute. The rest of the plant fully support Bob's action and, though four of the engines are "kidnapped" in the middle of the night several years later (to what ends, we find out later on), the other four are left to rust into uselessness.

Many years later, Bob and his three comrades are visited by a Chilean documentary maker. Their act of solidarity had achieved a level of fame - and made a tangible difference - in Chile that East Kilbride had never been aware of - until now.

Touching, inspiring and a lesson to us all. Watch it if you possibly can.


Just watched this on BBC Scotland, aired as part of their inaugural night.

Braw.
A kid swapping a fishing rod for a Dr. Feelgood album.

User avatar
Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk
Posts: 29820
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:18
Location: Edge of a continent

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Postby Matt Wilson » 27 Feb 2019, 20:00

So I finally streamed Bohemian Rhapsody last night. It was about as good as I thought it would be. It was fine, no better than Oliver Stone's The Doors from eons ago. Both films play with the facts to suit their director's visions yet this one seems to have received mostly kudos while The Doors was panned if memory serves. Also, I didn't find Academy Award-winning actor Rami Malek to be any better as Freddie than non-nominated Val Kilmer was as Morrison in the previous film.
goat boy wrote:For so long now Matt has BCB defined himself as being in opposition to Coan. He’s the Batman to their Joker but they can't deal with Batman ditching the gothic gloom of Gotham for Paris in the spring.

caramba
Posts: 761
Joined: 25 Aug 2016, 17:12

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Postby caramba » 02 Mar 2019, 11:47

Matt Wilson wrote:So I finally streamed Bohemian Rhapsody last night. It was about as good as I thought it would be. It was fine, no better than Oliver Stone's The Doors from eons ago. Both films play with the facts to suit their director's visions yet this one seems to have received mostly kudos while The Doors was panned if memory serves. Also, I didn't find Academy Award-winning actor Rami Malek to be any better as Freddie than non-nominated Val Kilmer was as Morrison in the previous film.


Don't know about the US, but BH got eviscerated by most of the more respected reviewers in the quality press in the UK. It was the same with Hugh Jackman's The Showman, which also went on to make megabucks.

User avatar
Samoan
Posts: 10587
Joined: 28 May 2008, 10:22

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Postby Samoan » 04 Mar 2019, 11:04

Blue Juice (1995) the greatest British surfing movie ever made possibly because it's the only British surfing movie thus far made. It's a fast paced, absolute joy with a wonderful and disparate cast.
All is sweet for Catherine and Sean except he's done his back in surfing a big one and is off sex due to the pain until Northern Soul loving, drug purveying buddies from London arrive uninvited to make a nuisance of themselves. Bonus for Coronation Street fans is an uptight Brian Packham on a Stag weekend that he doesn't want to be on but ultimately Cornwall mellows him right down.

Catherine Zeta-Jones, Sean Pertwee, Ewan McGregor, Edwin Starr as a soul singer named Ossie Sands and a short role for Jenny Agutter.

Image

Image

The soundtrack is worth it alone -

"Movin' On Up" performed by Edwin Starr (a cover of the Primal Scream song)
"The Price of Pain" - performed by Edwin Starr
"Freedom Bug" - performed by Heavy Stereo, written by Gem Archer
"Get It On" - performed by Marc Bolan and T. Rex
"Leave Them All Behind" - performed by Ride
"Half the Man" - written and performed by Jamiroquai
"Duel" - performed by Swervedriver
"Lonely for You Baby" - performed by Sam Dees
"I Need Something Stronger" - performed by Apollo 440
"You're the One" - performed by Gillian Wisdom
"You Were the Dream" - Roscoe Shelton
Charlie O. wrote - "Any software that would turn "Jumpin' Jack Flash" into "Mr. Bojangles" is obviously possessed of a malevolent spirit."

User avatar
Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure
Posts: 53240
Joined: 21 Jul 2003, 19:04
Location: New York

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Postby Snarfyguy » 04 Mar 2019, 20:44

caramba wrote:
Matt Wilson wrote:So I finally streamed Bohemian Rhapsody last night. It was about as good as I thought it would be. It was fine, no better than Oliver Stone's The Doors from eons ago. Both films play with the facts to suit their director's visions yet this one seems to have received mostly kudos while The Doors was panned if memory serves. Also, I didn't find Academy Award-winning actor Rami Malek to be any better as Freddie than non-nominated Val Kilmer was as Morrison in the previous film.


Don't know about the US, but BH got eviscerated by most of the more respected reviewers in the quality press in the UK. It was the same with Hugh Jackman's The Showman, which also went on to make megabucks.

The Greatest Showman. I took my kid to see that. Astonishingly, insultingly bad.
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

User avatar
Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk
Posts: 29820
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:18
Location: Edge of a continent

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Postby Matt Wilson » 05 Mar 2019, 17:11

Streamed A Star is Born last night. Much like last week's Bohemian Rhapsody, it was fine - but no better than I remember the Streisand version to be, and I haven't seen that one in decades. Bradley Cooper clearly took the Babs film as a template for this one, as he even looks a bit like Kristofferson with his long hair and beard. And Gaga is just an updated Barbara complete with references to her big nose. Modern day Hollywood clearly isn't capable of coming up with too many original ideas anymore as this no-more-than-average effort wouldn't have been nearly so big a deal had it been released in the '90s, say - when there were far more quality films to choose from than there are now.
goat boy wrote:For so long now Matt has BCB defined himself as being in opposition to Coan. He’s the Batman to their Joker but they can't deal with Batman ditching the gothic gloom of Gotham for Paris in the spring.

User avatar
Butch Manly
Utter Cad
Posts: 51302
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:22
Location: 16 Beasley Street

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Postby Butch Manly » 07 Mar 2019, 00:26

Tom Waits For No One wrote:
Butch Manly wrote:Image

Saw this at the cinema on Thursday. Following Pinochet's bloody, CIA-backed toppling of Allende - the man who gave Chileans too much hope - in 1973, people around the world protested in their own ways, be it taking to the streets, boycotting Chilean produce or whatever. Thousands of miles from Santiago in East Kilbride, Bob, an engineer at the Hawker Sidley plant, spots that eight Rolls Royce jet engines, due to be serviced and refurbished, have come from Chile. In an act of solidarity with the people of Chile, he "blacks" the engines, meaning no one is to touch them since they are now under dispute. The rest of the plant fully support Bob's action and, though four of the engines are "kidnapped" in the middle of the night several years later (to what ends, we find out later on), the other four are left to rust into uselessness.

Many years later, Bob and his three comrades are visited by a Chilean documentary maker. Their act of solidarity had achieved a level of fame - and made a tangible difference - in Chile that East Kilbride had never been aware of - until now.

Touching, inspiring and a lesson to us all. Watch it if you possibly can.


Just watched this on BBC Scotland, aired as part of their inaugural night.

Braw.


Bob Fulton is the MAN, Kev. An utter hero.
Goatboy to Belle:

"I suggest you retreat to the safety of your Facebook bubble. Griff has a post he needs you to like."

User avatar
Jimbo
Posts: 16103
Joined: 26 Dec 2009, 21:22

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Postby Jimbo » 10 Mar 2019, 14:46

Saw Green Book a couple of nights ago. Think Oscar and (black) Felix go on a road trip to the deep south of the early 1960s. It was watchable but the badly done artifice to recreate the times was distracting.

Oh, I also saw a really good Japanese film called something like Night of the One Take Zombie. (There seem to be various English titles.) One reason it was a hit here was because of its shoestring budget and went on to make big money and stars of the unknown actors. But it was a very clever, brilliant is many ways, and funny, too, the premise being how these near-amateurs made a 30 minute zombie movie with no cuts in the filming. The movie starts with the really cheesy but kind of scary zombie film then goes back and tells the story of how it was made. It's not a documentary but a comedy. I'd love to tell you the plot but you should see it for yourselves.
Cold War Number One: 70 years of daily national stupidity. Cold War Number Two: Still in its youth, but just as stupid. - William Blum

User avatar
Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure
Posts: 53240
Joined: 21 Jul 2003, 19:04
Location: New York

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Postby Snarfyguy » 12 Mar 2019, 19:15

Image

You're probably better off coming to this documentary knowing as little about it as possible. Recommended.
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.