Return of the RECENT VIEWING

..and why not?
GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Postby GoogaMooga » 06 Nov 2018, 13:03

RELD-LOMAX inc. wrote:That Cold Day In The Park Blu-ray going for 9 quid on Amazon - any good?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/That-Masters-C ... A383380011

For completion's sake, yes. Introspective, brooding... none of the lightness you get in later pics.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 06 Nov 2018, 13:06

Ah, I probably won't bother, then. Thanks anyway.
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Neige
Alpine Numpty
Location: On 2 oz of plastic with a hole in the middle (of nowhere)

Postby Neige » 06 Nov 2018, 22:13

No mention of the "theatrical" works Streamers and Come Back to the Five and Dime, Jimmy Dean, Jimmy Dean?

It's been 30+ years but I liked these a lot.

And I'd put Three Women in the top category too.
Thumpety-thump beats plinkety-plonk every time. - Rayge

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 07 Nov 2018, 08:52

Prêt-à-Porter, now that was a sight for sore eyes.

Look at that cast -

Anouk Aimée
Marcello Mastroianni
Sophia Loren
Kim Basinger
Stephen Rea
Lauren Bacall
Julia Roberts
Tim Robbins
Lili Taylor
Sally Kellerman
Tracey Ullman
Linda Hunt
Rupert Everett
Forest Whitaker
Richard E. Grant

Nonsense to the aggressiveness, I've seen more aggression on the my little pony message board......I mean I was told.

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 07 Nov 2018, 10:50

RELD-LOMAX inc. wrote:
GoogaMooga wrote:Altman is best with an ensemble cast and overlapping dialogue. Plus "adventurous" zooms...

He's the BEST with ensemble casts! That's why I love him. Him and Forman.

Whilst even the expression "ensemble cast" immediately puts me ill at ease, including with Altman. You can look at the cast of Pret a Porter and of course, it looks incredible. But the movie itself was a vapid, wasteful exercise, just like Gospel Park.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 07 Nov 2018, 14:36

12 Monkeys

One of Gilliam's more celebrated efforts is also one of his biggest hits (much like The Fisher King, I guess). Bruce Willis shows why he was a movie star who could act (he never did get an oscar nod in his career, did he?), and Brad Pitt's first nomination is here. Reportedly inspired by a French film called La Jettee (Terry claims he never saw it before making the picture). I've never had the pleasure either. I like this one though.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 07 Nov 2018, 15:17

Pret a Porter was great fun!
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Twang

Postby Twang » 07 Nov 2018, 15:49

What's wrong with Gosford Park?

$P.Muff$

Postby $P.Muff$ » 07 Nov 2018, 21:47

Caught this for the 3rd or 4th time on Monday. Excellent writing and performances - the kind of taut family drama that isn't made these days.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 11 Nov 2018, 02:43

ImageImage

A Raisin in the Sun
Jesus, is this great. I'd never seen it before. A seminal performance by Poitier and a stellar screenplay (slightly watered down from the original play, but what do you expect from Hollywood in 1961?) and outstanding roles for all involved. Proof that I can still be gobsmacked by something I've never seen in 2018.

The Princess Bride
Love it or hate it (I was too old at the time of release to really get into it - but I showed it to my daughter, who'd already seen it of course - and she loves it), this is an outstanding package from Criterion. A great transfer, tons of extras, commentary, etc. I definitely like it more now than before but I'm not sure if it's The Wizard of Oz for this generation either.

driftin

Postby driftin » 12 Nov 2018, 09:41

Well this was quite something.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 13 Nov 2018, 05:14

Images

Probably the best performance I've seen Susannah York give - though I really haven't seen her in more than a handful of movies. She looks a bit like Julie Christie, no? One of Altman's more esoteric offerings, though it's not really hard to follow. A woman is in the throes of extreme schizophrenia, and she sees people from her past who aren't there. Not only that, she sees real people, but with other people's bodies - so she's never sure whom she's talking to. A descent into madness and another film heavily influenced by Bergman's Persona (I said much the same thing last week when I reviewed 3 Women, only it's more obvious here). Fantastic photography in Ireland by Vilmos Zsigmond and an interesting score by John Williams add to the allure, but it's certainly not for everybody.

driftin

Postby driftin » 13 Nov 2018, 10:14

Well this is pretty insane. It's like the original Wicker Man had a baby with Mandy. I enjoyed it very much.

Bent Fabric

Postby Bent Fabric » 13 Nov 2018, 16:19

pcqgod wrote:Image

Bohemian Rhapsody (2018)

Ironically enough, considering the subject matter, this movie comes across as pretty tame, television movie level entertainment, no real invention or subversiveness (aside from flashing negative reviews of the title song during the montage of its recording). Few scenes have real dramatic power, but the closing scenes will probably bring a tear to your eye or a lump in throat if you're a fan.

I took the wife and kids over the past weekend.

As a love letter to the magic of Queen, it very much works, and that may be all I could really have gone in expecting from this type of endeavor. That might have been enough. The comic relief of "John Deacon" was a nice touch, for sure, as were a few of the running gags.

Hopefully, a person who saw it and found themselves fascinated by the music and story would then turn to the albums, concert videos, various biographies (I've read a few and they weren't bad at all) for a more fleshed out version of the main event.

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 13 Nov 2018, 17:59

Bent Fabric wrote:
As a love letter to the magic of Queen, it very much works, and that may be all I could really have gone in expecting from this type of endeavor. That might have been enough. The comic relief of "John Deacon" was a nice touch, for sure, as were a few of the running gags.

It's certainly not a bad way for a Queen fan to spend two-odd hours.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

Bent Fabric

Postby Bent Fabric » 13 Nov 2018, 18:04

pcqgod wrote:
It's certainly not a bad way for a Queen fan to spend two-odd hours.

Yeah - the internet was awash in negative reviews before we got a chance to see it, and...let's be honest, it was always going to be a certain type of movie.

BUT

I knew - that no matter what - I was going to sit in a movie theater and listen to some of my favorite music at top volume with others, and that seemed pretty exciting.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 13 Nov 2018, 18:33

See, part of me would like to see it just cos of the music but then I think it might just piss me off too much.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

$P.Muff$

Postby $P.Muff$ » 15 Nov 2018, 02:57

Hipster biker rapists dabbling in Nazism must have seemed pretty shocking to some audiences in 1967. This is the first of the Billy Jack series, and it's a bit long for what it is, but still pretty good fun.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 15 Nov 2018, 04:15

I love Born Losers. One of the best biker films.

The Last Movie

After the success of Easy Rider, Dennis Hopper could've done anything he wanted. What he wanted to do was direct a film in Peru about a hired hand cowboy on the set of a western who decides to stay down there after filming on a Sam Fuller oater wraps and the trials and tribulations he gets into after that. It's as esoteric as you'd think and it's certainly more interesting than good. I've always wanted to see this and I knew what to expect. I'm not gonna lie though - I wish it were better.

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 15 Nov 2018, 09:20

Its a real mess. I remember when tv channels used to have interesting film seasons, either about directors or themes. Films just don't get shown now on telly apart from streaming services. I saw Last Movie 20 odd years ago.
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

Return to “Screenadelica”