Return of the RECENT VIEWING

..and why not?
User avatar
northernsky
Posts: 2194
Joined: 08 Aug 2005, 10:18
Location: East of Sweden

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Postby northernsky » 11 Jul 2017, 14:25

Image

I was slightly concerned that his droll, one step removed from reality style would sit awkwardly with the painful truths of the refugee crisis. I shouldn't have worried - this is splendid.

User avatar
Harvey K-Tel
Long Player
Posts: 38648
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 23:20
Location: 1220 on your AM dial

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Postby Harvey K-Tel » 11 Jul 2017, 18:45

Matt Wilson wrote:Image
Hell in the Pacific

Pretty good Lee Marvin/Tishuro Mifune survival film about two WWII soldiers (one American, one Japanese) stranded on an island in the Pacific. Minimal dialogue, interesting plot. They become friends, of course. Average transfer as usual, from Kino Lorber. I should do a thread on Marvin. That guy made a lot of good movies and even some great ones.


Is that the one where they're both scrambling around a lagoon chucking things at one another? That film's great!
If you've got nothing to do, don't do it here.

User avatar
The Great Defector
Posts: 15610
Joined: 07 Jan 2012, 18:16

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Postby The Great Defector » 11 Jul 2017, 19:13

Harvey K-Tel wrote:
Matt Wilson wrote:Image
Hell in the Pacific

Pretty good Lee Marvin/Tishuro Mifune survival film about two WWII soldiers (one American, one Japanese) stranded on an island in the Pacific. Minimal dialogue, interesting plot. They become friends, of course. Average transfer as usual, from Kino Lorber. I should do a thread on Marvin. That guy made a lot of good movies and even some great ones.


Is that the one where they're both scrambling around a lagoon chucking things at one another? That film's great!


The remake was WAY better

Image


NOT.
Loki wrote:You Brit boys are so contentious!

User avatar
joels344
Posts: 671
Joined: 17 Dec 2016, 17:37
Contact:

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Postby joels344 » 13 Jul 2017, 02:52

Watched some brilliant films today, while feeling under the weather. Seems to be the best way to recover is with some pure cinema. Out of these two, I believe Kwaidan will be a new addition to my favorite films list. It was an absolute masterpiece and joy to experience from start to end. This film proves, yet again, why Kobayashi is one of the greatest filmmakers to exist and arguably the finest from Japan. Every story in the film ended up being engaging, haunting, and visually substantial in their own unique way. It wouldn't be right to rank them, because it must be experienced as an entire package. This film is an essential work and one that cannot be missed.

I'll also add that Nostalghia is unfortunately overlooked amongst Tarkovsky's already important filmography. I see why some may not enjoy it as much as his other works, because it seems to be a challenging and perplexing work. However, the dedication and ending payoff is well worth the patience. It's one of his most human and emotional films with stunning cinematography (I'd say right there with Zerkalo and Andrei Rublev). I love how it was able to incorporate architecture, landscape, cultural confusion, philosophical concepts, language and nature's elements into one cohesive film.

Image

Image

User avatar
Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk
Posts: 28186
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:18
Location: Edge of a continent

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Postby Matt Wilson » 13 Jul 2017, 06:17

Image
The Reivers

I've never known exactly what to think of this late '60s McQueen picture. It's entertaining enough, concerning the coming of age of an eleven-year-old boy and taken from a Faulkner novel. There's casual racism, thievery and prostitution, and it's certainly handled fairly well, but I'm not so sure it's all that special. I can watch it about every ten years or so and not miss it (it's been way longer than that since I saw it last, actually). Like a lot of cult films I've been reviewing lately, some people love it. This blu has the best transfer possible though - it's virtually perfect. No subtitles, unfortunately.
Sneelock wrote:Bang your head on the floor. It''s about as productive as arguing with Davey but at least you have something to show for it.

User avatar
sloopjohnc
Posts: 59206
Joined: 03 Jun 2004, 20:12
Location: One quake away from beachfront property
Contact:

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Postby sloopjohnc » 14 Jul 2017, 03:35

Image

Image
Bride Of Sea Of Tunes wrote:I for one wouldn't want to know what memories and deep and dark forces drive Ed Sheeran, Coldplay, or Radiohead, for certain.

User avatar
joels344
Posts: 671
Joined: 17 Dec 2016, 17:37
Contact:

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Postby joels344 » 14 Jul 2017, 04:13

Image

User avatar
Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk
Posts: 28186
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:18
Location: Edge of a continent

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Postby Matt Wilson » 14 Jul 2017, 05:10

What's that, Joels344?
Sneelock wrote:Bang your head on the floor. It''s about as productive as arguing with Davey but at least you have something to show for it.

User avatar
algroth
Posts: 4862
Joined: 04 Apr 2010, 03:12

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Postby algroth » 14 Jul 2017, 12:24

Matt Wilson wrote:What's that, Joels344?

I'll reply for him. :P It's The Saragossa Manuscript, a pretty Buñuelesque Polish film. Was also at some point declared by him as his all-time favorite film (and was also mentioned by Coppola and Scorsese as a favorite too; same for Jerry García). It's great stuff, formally inventive, very humorous and engaging. Worth checking out! :)

User avatar
The Great Defector
Posts: 15610
Joined: 07 Jan 2012, 18:16

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Postby The Great Defector » 14 Jul 2017, 12:30

Image

A fitting end to an underrated and one of the best trilogies around in the past 10 to 15 years. Thanks fuck considering Burton tried to kill it :x . Always been a fan of the originals, yes all of them, and this does them justice. The story can be a little too much at times, but the themes of 'heavy lies the crown', personal vendetta over the good of the rest of the apes, sacrifice for the greater good, one person to start a revolt etc all get touched on here and it works even though it does sound like a busy movie. Some will be disappointed at the lack of the massive ape vs human war scenes but I don't think it was needed to be honest. I'd like to see Serkis get some non CGI roles to see how good he really is. I've seen him as Ian dury and in brighton rock where he was good, I think there's a good actor underneath all the CGI.

Anyway, this film was brilliant, so was the whole trilogy, a worthy successor to the originals.
Loki wrote:You Brit boys are so contentious!

User avatar
joels344
Posts: 671
Joined: 17 Dec 2016, 17:37
Contact:

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Postby joels344 » 14 Jul 2017, 12:45

algroth wrote:
Matt Wilson wrote:What's that, Joels344?

I'll reply for him. :P It's The Saragossa Manuscript, a pretty Buñuelesque Polish film. Was also at some point declared by him as his all-time favorite film (and was also mentioned by Coppola and Scorsese as a favorite too; same for Jerry García). It's great stuff, formally inventive, very humorous and engaging. Worth checking out! :)


Yeah, all of this. It's a fantastic, and memorable film with impeccable shot compositions. Unfortunately, Wojciech Has films are difficult to find here in the States, so there's no proper/legal way of watching or streaming his work. Hopefully, one day Criterion will restore and release some of his films, because I'd love to see them remastered on BluRay. :)

User avatar
Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk
Posts: 28186
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:18
Location: Edge of a continent

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Postby Matt Wilson » 16 Jul 2017, 04:46

Image
Prime Cut

You want a weird early '70s crime film? Look no farther than Prime Cut. Lee Marvin and Gene Hackman (with Sissy Spacek in her first role) star in a off-the-beaten-path story of a crime boss (Hackman) in Kansas City who sells both cattle meat and women, and the Chicago killer (Marvin) who is hired to either get 500,000 dollars owed the mob from the crime boss, or kill him - whichever is easier. The thing is - Hackman has people he disagrees with cut up as meat in his factory as well. Pretty gross, eh? Throw in a lot of gratuitous nudity (we first see Spacek that way) and violence and it's almost '70s business as usual. This could have been better, as it is - it's not bad. I still like it better than Hell in the Pacific, but not quite as good as Emperor of the North, which I reviewed last week. That's probably it for me and Lee Marvin movies for awhile.
Sneelock wrote:Bang your head on the floor. It''s about as productive as arguing with Davey but at least you have something to show for it.

User avatar
jimboo
Posts: 6257
Joined: 29 Dec 2005, 17:43
Location: taking a foxy kind of stand

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Postby jimboo » 16 Jul 2017, 10:51

Damn fine movie that is.
Goat Boy wrote:Oh, do fuck off, prog boy.

User avatar
Darkness_Fish
Posts: 3428
Joined: 27 Jul 2015, 09:58

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Postby Darkness_Fish » 16 Jul 2017, 21:14

Image

Ok, I know there's not many around here who are going to be big fans, and I'm pretty sure that we'd all hoped that the minions had fucked off for good. But this is quite good; better than The Minions film, which felt quite forced and desperate, and probably better than DM2. It's fairly lacking in the plot department and the 80s references are shoe-horned in just to try and keep the parents happy, but for a bunch of set-pieces sewn together, it's quite funny and has a nice eye for detail.
Saving my holier-than-thou nonsense for a more deserving cause since '82

User avatar
Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure
Posts: 51868
Joined: 21 Jul 2003, 19:04
Location: New York

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Postby Snarfyguy » 17 Jul 2017, 14:51

Image

Very enjoyable. Moodysson has a great feel for his characters.
Jimbo wrote:In some ways, personality-wise, Trump and I are similar.

User avatar
sloopjohnc
Posts: 59206
Joined: 03 Jun 2004, 20:12
Location: One quake away from beachfront property
Contact:

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Postby sloopjohnc » 17 Jul 2017, 18:56

The Great Defector wrote:Image

A fitting end to an underrated and one of the best trilogies around in the past 10 to 15 years. Thanks fuck considering Burton tried to kill it :x . Always been a fan of the originals, yes all of them, and this does them justice. The story can be a little too much at times, but the themes of 'heavy lies the crown', personal vendetta over the good of the rest of the apes, sacrifice for the greater good, one person to start a revolt etc all get touched on here and it works even though it does sound like a busy movie. Some will be disappointed at the lack of the massive ape vs human war scenes but I don't think it was needed to be honest. I'd like to see Serkis get some non CGI roles to see how good he really is. I've seen him as Ian dury and in brighton rock where he was good, I think there's a good actor underneath all the CGI.

Anyway, this film was brilliant, so was the whole trilogy, a worthy successor to the originals.


Saw it yesterday. The second is my favorite but this was good. Also, some good references to the first set of movies, if you caught them, with the forbidden zone and "Nova."
Bride Of Sea Of Tunes wrote:I for one wouldn't want to know what memories and deep and dark forces drive Ed Sheeran, Coldplay, or Radiohead, for certain.

User avatar
Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint
Posts: 29563
Joined: 20 Mar 2007, 12:11
Location: In the perfumed garden

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Postby Goat Boy » 18 Jul 2017, 09:43

The Wild Bunch

On the big screen with the old man.

It is a great film and it has more humanity and humour than I remembered. Its themes as well resonate with me increasingly as I get older.
Copehead wrote:You are making a fool of yourself.


Muskrat wrote:I'm undemonstrative during shows; no matter how much I enjoy them. People who get up and move around ("dance," if they will) strike me as show-offs

User avatar
Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure
Posts: 51868
Joined: 21 Jul 2003, 19:04
Location: New York

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Postby Snarfyguy » 19 Jul 2017, 15:08

Image

A decent premise about social catharsis and class war goes to waste amid feeble characterizations and plot turns that are at once ludicrous and telescoped so clearly in advance that there's effectively no suspense. Oh well.
Jimbo wrote:In some ways, personality-wise, Trump and I are similar.

User avatar
Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk
Posts: 28186
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:18
Location: Edge of a continent

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Postby Matt Wilson » 20 Jul 2017, 06:49

ImageImage
Collateral & Manhunter

Two of Mann's best. Collateral is the only great Tom Cruise film of the 21st Century (OK, I haven't seen them all) and Manhunter is an underrated '80s crime drama with the first film appearance of Hannibal Lector. I love both of these movies but to be honest, Mann made better.
Sneelock wrote:Bang your head on the floor. It''s about as productive as arguing with Davey but at least you have something to show for it.

User avatar
joels344
Posts: 671
Joined: 17 Dec 2016, 17:37
Contact:

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Postby joels344 » 20 Jul 2017, 13:04

Image

Come and See was an unapologetic look at the physical and psychological horrors involved in warfare. The audience experiences the sheer terror along with the main character as he descends through a myriad of destruction, violence, and madness. The film is presented in such an astonishing and often hypotonic manner that one cannot pull away from it, even with all the horrors thrown at you. It's one of those films that I can comfortably say every aspect was handled in a masterful way. Especially the sound design, which was an absolute work of art. Come and See is an essential cinema and arguably the most realistic war film ever shot. 5/5