Curb Your Enthusiasm

..and why not?
Lemon Yoghourt
Posts: 6625
Joined: 28 May 2008, 13:40

Re: Curb Your Enthusiasm

Postby Lemon Yoghourt » 17 Nov 2009, 11:57

Billybob Dylan wrote:I liked the way that a Curb plot element (taking a prozzie to the game in order to use the car pool lane) was used in a Seinfeld episode where, as we all know, these things actually happened to Larry.


In an earlier episode (the first reunion episode) Larry spoke about using the experience of cutting a doll's hair only for the young girl to find out it wouldn't grow back. I think he was kinda pitching the idea to Jason Alexander. That is one of my favourite episodes.

User avatar
Buddha B-Rex
Posts: 3353
Joined: 01 Mar 2007, 14:57
Location: Down by the river...
Contact:

Re: Curb Your Enthusiasm

Postby Buddha B-Rex » 17 Nov 2009, 17:43

The whole episode is full of inside jokes. Like, 'The Groats', is a fictional disease from Season 2. And of course, Larry wrote in the reason Cheryl left him (the Tivo Guy). There are probably lots more.

Aside: The episode in which Larry take a prostitute to the ballgame so he can ride in the carpool lane (and not waste a ticket) was used as evidence in an actual criminal case, clearing a man suspected of robbery. He appears in the crowd with Larry, and the shoot was apparently at the time of the crime, thus providing him an alibi. True story.
Freak out. Far out.

User avatar
Buddha B-Rex
Posts: 3353
Joined: 01 Mar 2007, 14:57
Location: Down by the river...
Contact:

Re: Curb Your Enthusiasm

Postby Buddha B-Rex » 23 Nov 2009, 15:37

The finale was...good. The reunion ended up taking second place to Larry and Cheryl's relationship, which is only fitting. It was nice to see the cast having so much fun. Seeing Jason Alexander scurry out the window was funny. It was also funny to see Larry and 'George' (the fictional Larry) having so much tension between them. The line between the actors and their characters became very blurry for a minute there, and like much of this season there was a weird, dreamy sort of symbolism throughout.

I didn't get the belly laughs I was hoping for from the finale, but anti-climax is the hallmark of 'Seinfeld' and I'm generally satisfied. On the whole, I'd say this season is among the top 3.
Freak out. Far out.

Lemon Yoghourt
Posts: 6625
Joined: 28 May 2008, 13:40

Re: Curb Your Enthusiasm

Postby Lemon Yoghourt » 23 Nov 2009, 15:59

Sir John Coan wrote:It was great. It's always great. The man has high standards.

He continues to push his luck, mind. That final scene with LD holding on to that girl's belly fat for dear life was absolutely ridiculous!


I've been wondering what this post was about for a while. I just saw the 'bare midrif' episode and it was really funny. The end was ridiculous but great, there is no way that I could have guessed what would happen.

User avatar
Billybob Dylan
Bonehead
Posts: 31807
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 18:51
Location: in front of the telly

Re: Curb Your Enthusiasm

Postby Billybob Dylan » 23 Nov 2009, 20:43

Simply Buddha wrote:I didn't get the belly laughs I was hoping for from the finale, but anti-climax is the hallmark of 'Seinfeld' and I'm generally satisfied.

I liked Jerry's comment that they can't ruin another finale.
"I've been reduced to thruppence!"

Bungo the Mungo

Re: Curb Your Enthusiasm

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 23 Nov 2009, 22:12

Not especially funny, but still good. Actually it was probably the least funny of any end-of-series show.

The big laugh was the 'you have demonstrated a consistent lack of respect for wood' scene.


EDIT: actually it was disappointing. I love the show but let's get some perspective.

User avatar
Billybob Dylan
Bonehead
Posts: 31807
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 18:51
Location: in front of the telly

Re: Curb Your Enthusiasm

Postby Billybob Dylan » 24 Nov 2009, 00:43

Sir John Coan wrote:Not especially funny, but still good. Actually it was probably the least funny of any end-of-series show.

The big laugh was the 'you have demonstrated a consistent lack of respect for wood' scene.


EDIT: actually it was disappointing. I love the show but let's get some perspective.

Is it because we've come to expect "a finale"?

CYE is usually a half hour but the TV guide said last night's episode was an hour. I expected the "second half" of the show to be a 30 min. Seinfeld episode. It almost was.
"I've been reduced to thruppence!"

Bungo the Mungo

Re: Curb Your Enthusiasm

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 24 Nov 2009, 08:13

It was the first time I've ever known Larry David sacrifice daft high jinks and ludicrous, unlikely situations for irrelevant things such as plot and romance. I mean, I ask you!

The series as a whole has been stellar, easily as good as any other, but that was a weak finale. I laughed maybe twice.

I still can't work out quite why he scripted it that way. There may have been some ulterior motive.

User avatar
harvey k-tel
Long Player
Posts: 40678
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 23:20
Location: 1220 on your AM dial

Re: Curb Your Enthusiasm

Postby harvey k-tel » 24 Nov 2009, 17:41

It certainly wasn't up to the standards that he's set previously. That's for sure.

Having said that, I enjoyed it.
If you've got nothing to do, don't do it here.

Bungo the Mungo

Re: Curb Your Enthusiasm

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 24 Nov 2009, 17:55

Harvey K-Tel wrote:Having said that, I enjoyed it.


I saw what you did there.

User avatar
Quaco
F R double E
Posts: 47241
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 19:41

Re: Curb Your Enthusiasm

Postby Quaco » 25 Nov 2009, 00:54

Sir John Coan wrote:I still can't work out quite why he scripted it that way. There may have been some ulterior motive.

I'm not an aficionado of the show, though I like it, but my impression is that the show isn't scripted as such. I believe I've heard him say that he gets the people he wants, auditioning very carefully, and then puts them in the situations, then they work out what they're going to do on the spot. I don't know if that means the actual moments captured are improvised, or just that they work them out just before filming. Anyway, it sounds like an exciting way to do it.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

The Modernist

Re: Curb Your Enthusiasm

Postby The Modernist » 25 Nov 2009, 01:01

Quaco wrote:
Sir John Coan wrote:I still can't work out quite why he scripted it that way. There may have been some ulterior motive.

I'm not an aficionado of the show, though I like it, but my impression is that the show isn't scripted as such. I believe I've heard him say that he gets the people he wants, auditioning very carefully, and then puts them in the situations, then they work out what they're going to do on the spot. I don't know if that means the actual moments captured are improvised, or just that they work them out just before filming. Anyway, it sounds like an exciting way to do it.


That's pretty much the way Christopher guest does it with his stuff isn't it?

Bungo the Mungo

Re: Curb Your Enthusiasm

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 25 Nov 2009, 01:09

Quaco wrote:
Sir John Coan wrote:I still can't work out quite why he scripted it that way. There may have been some ulterior motive.

I'm not an aficionado of the show, though I like it, but my impression is that the show isn't scripted as such. I believe I've heard him say that he gets the people he wants, auditioning very carefully, and then puts them in the situations, then they work out what they're going to do on the spot. I don't know if that means the actual moments captured are improvised, or just that they work them out just before filming. Anyway, it sounds like an exciting way to do it.


According to an interview I've seen with him, he storyboards each show - he gets together roughly a seven-page outline of each 30-minute episode - no script. I think the cast only get to see the part they need to see, and no more. And often it's only revealed to them shortly before each shoot. So I think it's all improvised.

What's interesting is that he carries around a small notebook at all times, and puts ideas in as he goes about his business. These ideas are transferred to a bigger pad which he keeps at home, and this thing is the source of the material for the shows. Where his talent lies, I think, is choosing the ideas which are funny, and planning outlines for shows which bring all these ideas together.

User avatar
Buddha B-Rex
Posts: 3353
Joined: 01 Mar 2007, 14:57
Location: Down by the river...
Contact:

Re: Curb Your Enthusiasm

Postby Buddha B-Rex » 25 Nov 2009, 01:23

Nothing beats the finale where Larry has a near death experience and ends up in a heated, obscenity laden argument with Saint Peter (Dustin Hoffman). Still, I think it was a solid, if not stellar, end to to a great season.
Freak out. Far out.

Bungo the Mungo

Re: Curb Your Enthusiasm

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 25 Nov 2009, 01:30

Simply Buddha wrote:Nothing beats the finale where Larry has a near death experience and ends up in a heated, obscenity laden argument with Saint Peter (Dustin Hoffman).


Oh, fuck, that was fantastic! That one, and the Producers special.

User avatar
James R
the grocer of despair
Posts: 9914
Joined: 17 Jul 2003, 03:53
Location: seated sultanically among the moons of Saturn
Contact:

Re: Curb Your Enthusiasm

Postby James R » 25 Nov 2009, 05:26

Sir John Coan wrote:The series as a whole has been stellar, easily as good as any other, but that was a weak finale. I laughed maybe twice.


That's still more than I've ever laughed at any episode of this show.
pcqgod wrote:I like how Liebling progresses from a rotting, animated corpse living in his parents' basement to a slightly more life-affirming walking corpse by the end of the movie.

Goat Boy wrote:I recall a midget with large tits dancing.

Bungo the Mungo

Re: Curb Your Enthusiasm

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 25 Nov 2009, 08:29

James R wrote:
Sir John Coan wrote:The series as a whole has been stellar, easily as good as any other, but that was a weak finale. I laughed maybe twice.


That's still more than I've ever laughed at any episode of this show.


:o

....and you don't like Taxi Driver, either!

James, James, James.....

User avatar
James R
the grocer of despair
Posts: 9914
Joined: 17 Jul 2003, 03:53
Location: seated sultanically among the moons of Saturn
Contact:

Re: Curb Your Enthusiasm

Postby James R » 25 Nov 2009, 12:14

Sir John Coan wrote:
James R wrote:
Sir John Coan wrote:The series as a whole has been stellar, easily as good as any other, but that was a weak finale. I laughed maybe twice.


That's still more than I've ever laughed at any episode of this show.


:o

....and you don't like Taxi Driver, either!

James, James, James.....


Yeah, but I'm not worried about expressing non-canonical opinions here :evil:
I've tried watching CYE when it's on here, and every time I do I have to change channels after about a minute. I'd almost rather watch Seinfeld.
pcqgod wrote:I like how Liebling progresses from a rotting, animated corpse living in his parents' basement to a slightly more life-affirming walking corpse by the end of the movie.

Goat Boy wrote:I recall a midget with large tits dancing.

User avatar
Django
Posts: 13369
Joined: 28 Sep 2004, 14:33
Contact:

Re: Curb Your Enthusiasm

Postby Django » 25 Nov 2009, 17:33

Quaco wrote:
Sir John Coan wrote:I still can't work out quite why he scripted it that way. There may have been some ulterior motive.

I'm not an aficionado of the show, though I like it, but my impression is that the show isn't scripted as such. I believe I've heard him say that he gets the people he wants, auditioning very carefully, and then puts them in the situations, then they work out what they're going to do on the spot. I don't know if that means the actual moments captured are improvised, or just that they work them out just before filming. Anyway, it sounds like an exciting way to do it.


Tht girls must have been pretty surprised when he fell off the roof and grabbed her belly. Fair play to her for going with it - a real pro.

Lemon Yoghourt
Posts: 6625
Joined: 28 May 2008, 13:40

Re: Curb Your Enthusiasm

Postby Lemon Yoghourt » 30 Nov 2009, 10:56

The scene with Larry and the black swan was crazy!