Curb Your Enthusiasm

..and why not?
marios

Re: Curb Your Enthusiasm

Postby marios » 01 Nov 2009, 20:34

last ep was worth it for the Jerry/Larry scenes and the ridiculousness of that final shot

other than that, it was quite weak

Django

Postby Django » 02 Nov 2009, 11:36

I don't want to spoil the party, but it seems to me that Curb is now far past it's best. Round the time of season 2 I was a big fan, but then I lost interest in it round the time of the series that was set up round LD's appearance in The Producers. Coming back in for these new episodes, all the comedy seems so forced. I watch them with a half smile on my face waiting for the big laugh that's coming, but never actually get to laugh.

I'm up to the reunion episode, and there was so much in there that fell flat, culminating in that confrontation scene, where Julie Louise Dreyfus accuses him of interrogating her daughter, and the guy who plays George has somehow got wind of his conversation with the waiter (HOW?!) and Kramer doesn't know what's going on beacuse he was looking at tits! Ha! It all just seems so clumsy and forced and flat. And David has now got that look on his face all the time where he is about to start corpsing at his own comedy genius. Meh.

Buddha B-Rex

Postby Buddha B-Rex » 02 Nov 2009, 13:16

Take it easy Captain Bringdown! There have been some flat moments since the highlights of the season opener, and the Opera episode, but last night was stellar.

Anyone else notice the bizarre, dreamlike symbolism that's creeping into nearly episode? The black swan, hanging off the building holding only a lady's muffin top, being chased through a mansion by two wheelchair bound women. I wonder if this whole season won't turn out to be a dream, like in 'Dallas'.
Freak out. Far out.

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 02 Nov 2009, 15:58

Dim Djangio wrote:I don't want to spoil the party, but it seems to me that Curb is now far past it's best. Round the time of season 2 I was a big fan, but then I lost interest in it round the time of the series that was set up round LD's appearance in The Producers. Coming back in for these new episodes, all the comedy seems so forced. I watch them with a half smile on my face waiting for the big laugh that's coming, but never actually get to laugh.

I'm up to the reunion episode, and there was so much in there that fell flat, culminating in that confrontation scene, where Julie Louise Dreyfus accuses him of interrogating her daughter, and the guy who plays George has somehow got wind of his conversation with the waiter (HOW?!) and Kramer doesn't know what's going on beacuse he was looking at tits! Ha! It all just seems so clumsy and forced and flat. And David has now got that look on his face all the time where he is about to start corpsing at his own comedy genius. Meh.

I recognise what you're saying, but I don't see these things as flaws.

The plots are more preposterous than they've ever been, and you do get the impression that he's smirking at the whole tomfoolery, but for me this adds to the overall fun.

I suppose a lot of your appreciation of CYE depends on how likeable you find LD as a character. When he raises his voice to complain, or deliberately tests other's patience by dicking around, that's a surefire laugh for me.

What I think is undeniable about the show is that it's full of silly ideas and unexpected twists. I get the impression he puts a lot of work into the writing.

I've only seen a minute or two of the latest one, but I saw Larry's DAD was there - that character is solid fucking gold!

B

Postby B » 03 Nov 2009, 01:59

Sir John Coan wrote:Larry's DAD was there - that character is solid fucking gold!

All the way.

As far as characters go that episode was outstanding. The dad, the cousin, Funkhouser, Norm from the country club !

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 03 Nov 2009, 02:24

Brian wrote:
Sir John Coan wrote:Larry's DAD was there - that character is solid fucking gold!

All the way.

As far as characters go that episode was outstanding. The dad, the cousin, Funkhouser, Norm from the country club !

It was insane. I loved it.

In fact, I'd go as far as to say this is the funniest season yet. It definitely beats the last one, and I don't remember laughing as much since seeing the second season. There's more anarchy there - he's dispensed with plot almost altogether, and given priority to his own flights of fancy which helps. The black swan attack scene was hysterical.

Billybob Dylan
Bonehead

Postby Billybob Dylan » 03 Nov 2009, 02:45

The headstone! "Larry - asshole and swan killer." Fantastic!
"I've been reduced to thruppence!"

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 10 Nov 2009, 07:49

Not classic, that last one. The scene with the kids selling lemonade was pretty funny, tho'.

marios

Postby marios » 11 Nov 2009, 21:38

no way. last ep was straight out of the best years of Curb (s2-3)

marios

Postby marios » 16 Nov 2009, 05:00

best ep of the season last night :lol:

Billybob Dylan
Bonehead

Postby Billybob Dylan » 16 Nov 2009, 05:32

marios wrote:best ep of the season last night :lol:

Last night? The Seinfeld read-through episode?

Loved Marty Funkhauser's joke!

Buddha B-Rex

Postby Buddha B-Rex » 16 Nov 2009, 12:31

Christ, that was fantastic! Funkhauser's joke had me laughing for the whole show, to the point of distraction from the other jokes. The look on Larry's face when Michael Richards learns he's been duped was priceless, and the look on Seinfeld's face when Larry says, "How's her pussy?" Too perfect.

This season, with one or two exceptions, has set new standards.
Freak out. Far out.

B

Postby B » 16 Nov 2009, 19:43

Wow. That read thru episode was REALLY good.

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 16 Nov 2009, 20:00

Brian wrote:Wow. That read thru episode was REALLY good.

It was good, but I didn't get as many laughs out of it as the last couple.

I think the next - the last this season - will be magnificent.

Velvis
Mellowed down easy

Postby Velvis » 16 Nov 2009, 21:25

JB Smoove kicked ass. Imagine being in a scene with Michael Richards with Richards as the straight man. Using Richards' scandal of a couple years ago as a jumping off point was brilliant. One of the best episodes of the series.
a gibbon running freely

B

Postby B » 16 Nov 2009, 21:38

Velvis wrote:JB Smoove kicked ass.

Yes!

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 16 Nov 2009, 21:42

Brian wrote:
Velvis wrote:JB Smoove kicked ass.

Yes!

:lol:

marios

Postby marios » 16 Nov 2009, 22:19

like most people, i assumed there would be a scene with Leon and Kramer at some point in the season and it would obviously have something to do with Richards' racist remarks 3 years ago. and i expected it to be good

let's just say i wasn't disappointed :lol:

also, is there a doctor's office in LA that Larry hasn't been thrown out of? :D

Billybob Dylan
Bonehead

Postby Billybob Dylan » 16 Nov 2009, 23:05

I liked the way that a Curb plot element (taking a prozzie to the game in order to use the car pool lane) was used in a Seinfeld episode where, as we all know, these things actually happened to Larry.

Lemon Yoghourt

Postby Lemon Yoghourt » 17 Nov 2009, 11:55

I've stopped downloading them and am watching the episodes as they come on More4. The last episode, where Larry is dating the lady in the wheelchair, had some funny moments but on the whole was disappointing I thought.

Still, it's a league above most other comedies.

Return to “Screenadelica”