When Brendan Met Trudy

..and why not?
Sea Of Tunes

When Brendan Met Trudy

Postby Sea Of Tunes » 29 May 2007, 07:53

...saw it on the Beeb last weekend. And: it's prolly the best feelgood movie I ever saw. OK the Americans can do it too, but all too often with that corny sugary coating that renders their stuff unwatchable for a second time. WBMT on the other hand has so many funny twists going for it that I fell in love with the film. And with the wonderful girl playing Trudy. Her breasts are rich creamy gl...., er, sorry, a creation of God.
Is this the best Roddy Doyle adaptation?
What other Doyle books have been converted to film apart from the Commitments?

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 29 May 2007, 13:35

The Snapper is pretty good, parts of it were filmed in Raheny just around the corner from where my relations stay.
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

Sea Of Tunes

Postby Sea Of Tunes » 29 May 2007, 18:16

Jeemo wrote:The Snapper is pretty good, parts of it were filmed in Raheny just around the corner from where my relations stay.

OK thanks, I will pick that one up!

Muskrat
World's Foremost Authority
Location: Next to the park; across the street from the college; and the freeway at my back

Postby Muskrat » 29 May 2007, 19:13

Sea Of Tunes wrote:
Jeemo wrote:The Snapper is pretty good, parts of it were filmed in Raheny just around the corner from where my relations stay.

Any other films shot near where your relations stay, Jeemo? Perhaps enough for a boxed set?
Things that a fella can't forget...

Lord Rother wrote: I’m with Googs.

Maxwell's Golden Pickaxe
spud thick mick

Re: When Brendan Met Trudy

Postby Maxwell's Golden Pickaxe » 29 May 2007, 19:57

Sea Of Tunes wrote:...Is this the best Roddy Doyle adaptation?
What other Doyle books have been converted to film apart from the Commitments?

As Jeemo mentioned The Snapper is quite good. The Van was also made into a film. It's probably the most knockabout funny of his adaptations, about a working class guy who opens a fish and chip van at the time of Ireland's 'glorious' progress in the World Cup Finals in Italia 90. I'm not sure how the humour would translate to an international audience, it's very 'Irish' I think.

There was a series on Irish TV in the late 90s called 'The Family' which was again written by Doyle, not from a book this time though, I think he just did the screenplay. It was a hard-hitting serious drama about an alcoholic who physically abused his wife and neglected his family. I didn't watch it but it got high praise from critics as far as I remember.

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 29 May 2007, 22:46

Muskrat wrote:
Sea Of Tunes wrote:

Any other films shot near where your relations stay, Jeemo? Perhaps enough for a boxed set?

The series of John (Tutti Frutti) Byrne plays which are The Slab Boys, Cutting A Rug and Still Life. The Slab Boys was made into a film

The Slab Boys was set in a carpet factory in Paisley, where I am from. The last part of the trilogy is set in Hawkhead cemetery where my parents are buried.

Do plays count?
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

Return to “Screenadelica”