Brad McGann (In My Father's Den dir) RIP

..and why not?
Magilla
Otago Mago

Brad McGann (In My Father's Den dir) RIP

Postby Magilla » 03 May 2007, 05:27

ImageImageImage

Brad McGann, left, Emily Barclay, right.

I realise that this won't be big news elsewhere, but it is in NZ. In My Father's Den was a significant film here and if Emily Barclay's star continues to rise, she'll have that film to thank.
You wonder what might've been...

Cancer claims director of In My Father's Den

3:44PM Wednesday May 02, 2007

Brad McGann, the New Zealand director who gained worldwide acclaim with his sole feature film In My Father's Den, has died.

McGann died today in Auckland after suffering for many years from cancer. He was 43.

"In My Father's Den is I think one of the star films in the canon of New Zealand cinema, and to lose a talent like him is a real loss," Film Commission chief executive Ruth Harley said.

"Brad was someone with whom many of us had a close connection and in some cases a deep personal friendship."

Based on a novel by Maurice Gee, In My Father's Den won nine awards at the New Zealand Screen Awards in 2005, including best picture and best director.

It also won an International Critics Award at the prestigious Toronto Film Festival and numerous other film awards, and helped launch the career of actress Emily Barclay.

"That award cited the film's 'emotional maturity, striking performances and visual grace' and that well sums up Brad's place in our film culture," Dr Harley said.

He also had earlier success with short films, especially with Possum (1997).

Dr Harley said McGann had been diagnosed with bowel cancer ten years ago.

"He believed he had beaten it when he started filming In My Father's Den," she said.

"But by the time he was publicising the film it had returned."

Many people in the film industry, including Sam Neill, Peter Jackson, Roger Donaldson and Vincent Ward, helped raise $60,000 in 2005 so McGann could receive an $80,000 treatment for the cancer starting in January 2006.

"The treatment enabled him to get an extra year of life, and it was quality life," Dr Harley said.

"His death wasn't unexpected but the finality of it is still has a terrible effect."

McGann's funeral will be in Auckland on Saturday.

- NZPA
"U2 routinely spent a year in the studio...I have a theory: if you put four monkeys in the studio for a year with Lanois and Eno and Lillywhite, they would make a pretty good record, too."

The Write Profile
2017 BCB Cup Champ

Postby The Write Profile » 03 May 2007, 09:02

Gosh, that's awful, isn't it? The real shame is that on the evidence of that one film he really could've been one of the country's more distinctive filmmakers, particularly if he chose his projects sensibly. In My Father's Den really did something quite original and liberating with the standard 'kiwi gothic' template, his use of music and colours (all those blues) was particularly exemplarary. And if the performances of Barclay, MacFayden and co were anything to go by, he clearly had talent as an actors' director too.

RIP :-(
It's before my time but I've been told, he never came back from Karangahape Road.

James R
the grocer of despair

Postby James R » 03 May 2007, 11:04

Holy shit.
43 is much too young.
pcqgod wrote:I like how Liebling progresses from a rotting, animated corpse living in his parents' basement to a slightly more life-affirming walking corpse by the end of the movie.

Goat Boy wrote:I recall a midget with large tits dancing.

Jimbly

Re: Brad McGann (In My Father's Den dir) RIP

Postby Jimbly » 03 May 2007, 12:14

Magilla wrote:
Many people in the film industry, including Sam Neill, Peter Jackson, Roger Donaldson and Vincent Ward, helped raise $60,000 in 2005 so McGann could receive an $80,000 treatment for the cancer starting in January 2006.

Its nice that these well paid people in the film industry "raised" $60k for treatment when the cost was $80k. Given the money that they earn especially Jackson after LOTR, to me its shameful.
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

the masked man
Schadenfreude

Postby the masked man » 03 May 2007, 17:08

I'm sad to hear this. Overall, In My Father's Den was an accomplished and ambitious film, one which has stayed in my memory. It's so tantalising that he never got to direct another feature.

RIP.

Return to “Screenadelica”