Justifiably forgotten films

..and why not?
Davey the Fat Boy

Justifiably forgotten films

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 12 Mar 2007, 15:39

Here's a thread for all of those bad films that time has seemingly completely forgotten - but for some strange reason you haven't. Feel free to be as obscure as you want. You don't have to be recommending these films. Just tell us what you remember about them.

I'll start with one I inexplicably saw at a drive-in when I was about seven years old:

I don't remember much, except the lead character was a corpse.

It starts off with him getting married in his coffin (if I recall correctly, that was his dying wish). After that he is lying in state and all of the greedy relatives come one by one to try and steal his fortune, but he's rigged traps for all of them. The one that sticks in mind is a shower that essentially turns into a trash compactor (this traumatized me even more than Psycho as a kid).

The movie has Stella Stevens, Elsa Lanchester and Roddy McDowell - and featured a song that sounded a lot like "Goldfinger". All this years later, I can still recall the melody.
Last edited by Davey the Fat Boy on 12 Mar 2007, 16:45, edited 1 time in total.
“Remember I have said good things about benevolent despots before.” - Jimbo

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 12 Mar 2007, 16:42

Ha! believe it or not, that movie had a terrific ad campaign and I was anxious to see it! imagine how I felt when I finally got around to it. at least Stella was still pretty much a babe.

the first film that dropped into my head was a true abomination called "If Ever I See You Again". this guy Joseph Brooks directed a few movies that did okay. well, he directed and wrote a song for a movie called "You Light Up My Life" that did better than okay. somebody stupid decided that what America really wanted was for this guy to write another song, write and direct another movie and STAR in it.
Peeeeee-YOU!
my dad ran it and it was one of those that was so godawful bad you felt like you should wait for the joke. you kept waiting until you realizes that the movie was the joke. let's just say his acting career never took off for a reason.

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 12 Mar 2007, 17:22

This was a good one to see at the drive-in because, honestly, there are a lot of important things to do at the drive-in. They charged by the carload, so first of all you had to figure out how many teenagers can fit in a station wagon. Then there's beer to be drunk, shit to be talked and girls to be agonized over. Oh yeah, they have movies too.

I don't really remember this one, except I guess it had a giant alligator or something.

It does have the great Dean Jagger in it, though. But that was lost on teenage me. I don't like watching great actors in shit movies just for the paycheck when they're old, anyway. I guess it beats no work at all, but he should have been getting huge roles.

So anyway, Alligator, yeah. I can't really recommend it. But even if you haven't seen it, you've seen it anyway, you know?

Next!
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

LMG
Gentleman Thug

Postby LMG » 12 Mar 2007, 19:03

I've seen Alligator over a hundred times. That claim sounds bizarre unless you've ever raised kids - my ex's boy had a thing about aquatic creature features from the age of three to about six. I taped Alligator and Jaws on one VHS tape and sometimes he used to watch it three times a day. We told him a fib (well, lied to him, I suppose) that the tape would only play in my special VCR - otherwise he would have insisted it went home with him, where he would presumably still be watching it, providing he could have been convinced to do a few other things like eat and do a bit of sleeping.

His Mum and I could do the dialogue to those movies in our sleep - in fact, much of the dialogue actually seeped into family life - Richard Dreyfus's agonised 'You got any better suggestions?!' was a favourite, as was Alligator's dialogue about baldness and male vanity.

In one scene where the cops are stalking the gator there is a grafitti on the sewer walls 'Harry Lime was here'.

When I was twelve my parents took me to a drive-in and I saw this, which deeply unsettled me:

"They love hating the music they hate nearly as much as they love loving the music they love"

- Andrew Mueller It's Too Late To Die Young Now

king feeb
He's the consultant of swing

Postby king feeb » 14 Mar 2007, 03:47

This movie was so forgettable, I couldn't even remember the name of it. Drove me nuts for about 30 minutes until I remembered that Klaus Kinski was (maybe?) in it. One Google session later...I'm 90% sure this is the movie:

It was a lame Alien ripoff and the only thing I really remember about it was that the extraterrestial's head resembled a gigantic metal cucumber.
You'd pay big bucks to know what you really think.

The Dríver
Hippy Replacement

Postby The Dríver » 14 Mar 2007, 09:36

Some people seem to like it. I found it totally forgettable.
He's a simpleton. 200 years ago they wouldn't have let him milk a cow.

Sea Of Tunes

Postby Sea Of Tunes » 14 Mar 2007, 12:16

What is it with you guys? I have an understandable tendency to forget movies that are forgettable.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 14 Mar 2007, 14:04

Sea Of Tunes wrote:What is it with you guys? I have an understandable tendency to forget movies that are forgettable.

Have you looked in Yakety Yak lately?

I'd estimate it at over 50% the reason this forum actually exists.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 14 Mar 2007, 14:44

The Driver wrote:Image

Movies with Michael Keaton are usually forgettable, aren't they? I'm fully aware of who he is, but I can't name a single movie he's been in.
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 14 Mar 2007, 15:55

Snarfyguy wrote:
The Driver wrote:Image

Movies with Michael Keaton are usually forgettable, aren't they? I'm fully aware of who he is, but I can't name a single movie he's been in.

Good call. He's done some good stuff though: the first Batman, Mr. Mom, Nightshift (with Henry Winkler), Beetle Juice, Clean and Sober, and was decent in Much Ado About Nothing.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

The Midnight Special
Renaissance Man

Re: Justifiably forgotten films

Postby The Midnight Special » 14 Mar 2007, 18:53

davey the fat boy wrote:Image

Out of all the films mentioned so far this is the one I'd go out of my way to watch. It looks an interesting plot.
Gracias por su visita

jimjim

Re: Justifiably forgotten films

Postby jimjim » 15 Mar 2007, 19:48

The Midnight Special wrote:
davey the fat boy wrote:Image

Out of all the films mentioned so far this is the one I'd go out of my way to watch. It looks an interesting plot.

Ditto. Looks interesting. But FFS, how is the eejit leeping over Arnold supposed to be Roddy McDowell? Looks like a young Tom Baker!! :lol:

If it's me and yer granny on bongos, it's still The Fall

Phil T

Postby Phil T » 17 Mar 2007, 12:36

'Three In The Attic':

The story of a young guy called Paxton Quigley who is shagging three different girls at the same time, whilst declaring fidelity only to each of them. Eventually they find out about each other and hatch a plot to kidnap him, lock him in the attic of their sorority house and take turns in shagging him to death, basically.

http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0063693/

Very much a film of it's time (1968, one of the girls is a beautiful hippy chick). It popped up on late night TV in the 70's. I was well jealous of the guy, I can tell you. But the film is totally pants, really.
:?

The cover of the soundtrack album:

Matty Red Sox
Shameless Canonist
Location: from NYC done with Jakarta and Hiroshima - currently hiding in Switzerland!

Postby Matty Red Sox » 17 Mar 2007, 13:45

Yuck.
the Eagles suck.

Sea Of Tunes

Postby Sea Of Tunes » 17 Mar 2007, 15:07

Matty Red Sox wrote:Image

Yuck.

Did you know that Jimbo bought up all extant copies?

marios

Postby marios » 17 Mar 2007, 20:48

This is on TV right now:

I had never heard of it before and a quick look on imdb and a couple more sites makes me think it might actually belong in this category.

It was filmed early on in Voight's career but was only released when he became famous with Deliverance.

I dunno, i'm about 20 minutes in and it doesn't look that bad, just very very slow.

Return to “Screenadelica”