All-Time Greatest Screen Comedian?

..and why not?
Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 08 Mar 2007, 22:18

Corporal Moddie! wrote:Surprised there's been no mention of Jacques Tati.

I would put in a mention for Tony Hancock too, although sadly he only made one film -but what a performance!

He starred in two. Punch and Judy Man and The Rebel. The Rebel is more like an extended tv show, but Punch and Judy is a much more bleak affair.
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 08 Mar 2007, 22:26

Snarfyguy wrote:Bob Hope was never funny.

(sneelock clutches his chest and rolls around on the floor.)

first of all, there's no 'cutoff date' for us older guys, actually, I respect working actors. maybe I cut them more slack then I should.

so, whoever makes you laugh is, of course, the right answer.
I hadn't given it much thought and I'm not sure who I pick but I MUST speak out on Bob Hope's behalf.

I think he's one of the most confident comedians ever to step foot in front of a camera. I'm a fan of a type of comedy - let's call it "the schnook movie". well, I don't think anybody ever made better schnook movies.

In 'the paleface' Bob Hope walks through a room where men are seated around a table playing cards. he says "excuse me", picks up the candle from the table and leaves the room, leaving the men in total darkness.

for years I thought Bob Hope was the self satisfied comedian who had t.v. specials all the time leering at the likes of Joey Heatherton and Charro. over the years, I've decided that Bob Hope is (for the most part) a guy who made funny movies in the forties.

If you don't like 'schnook movies' then I can see not rating him. but, any Woody Allen fan, I think could at least throw Bob a bone.
The great thing about Bob's schnook movies is that, generally speaking, nobody ever backs up the truck and leaves a big load of pathos in your lap. I think, other schnook movie professionals made this mistake all too often - Danny Kaye, the latter period Woody, Red Skelton, and especially Jerry Lewis.

onscreen, in his best comedies, Bob Hope is vain, a coward, just plain unlikable if not for his strange star quality and the pacing that keeps the audience knowing not to take things too seriously.

I think any Bob Hope comedy that involves spies or that takes place in costume is good for many belly laughs. I love a good schnook movie.

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 08 Mar 2007, 22:45

Sneelock wrote:for years I thought Bob Hope was the self satisfied comedian who had t.v. specials all the time leering at the likes of Joey Heatherton and Charro.

Yeah! I hate that shit!

Those "Road to (Wherever)" movies... I don't know how to explain. They make me want to cry.
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

Phenomenal Cat
death on four legs

Postby Phenomenal Cat » 09 Mar 2007, 04:24

davey the fat boy wrote:Anyhow - so how about the ladies? I should have titled this thread "all-time greatest screen comic" to include comediennes. Who stands out on the other side of the gender divide?

kath wrote:i will make it my mission to nail you.

But somehow when you smile, I can brave bad weather.

Return to “Screenadelica”