United 93

..and why not?
Molony

United 93

Postby Molony » 22 Feb 2007, 22:59

Just finished watching this, and not ashamed to say that I had a damn good cry for about five minutes at the end. Fuck me, what a harrowing film. I'm sure that it has been discussed on here before, and I'm not sure how much I can add about the handheld camera technique etc. but what a powerful, powerful film.

All the way through I'm sitting there half-hoping that it's all going to work out alright. I'm putting myself in the position of the people on the plane. I'm wondering at the detachment of the hijackers...

No kidding, at times throughout the film my heart was beating like a fucked clock. It has been a long time since I was so totally absorbed and affected by a film...

Spec

Postby Spec » 23 Feb 2007, 08:56

Me too. I found it quite extraordinary even when you know exactly what is coming.

The way he captures the chaos in the control tower / centre was outstanding.

Did you feel that he had managed to create a little sympathy (no, that's the wrong word) for the terrorists?

Molony

Postby Molony » 23 Feb 2007, 10:02

specbebop wrote:Me too. I found it quite extraordinary even when you know exactly what is coming.

The way he captures the chaos in the control tower / centre was outstanding.

Did you feel that he had managed to create a little sympathy (no, that's the wrong word) for the terrorists?

You know what, I'm not sure he did. I guess the fact that they were always talking to each other in a foreign tongue appeared to distance them from the viewer (especially when subtitles are not always used). I guess the nervousness of the terrorists prior to the hijacking does add a touch of humanity (along with some of the panic in the cockpit), but to be honest they still seemed detached for me...

Maxwell's Golden Pickaxe
spud thick mick

Postby Maxwell's Golden Pickaxe » 23 Feb 2007, 10:27

An extraordinary film. The second it started I held my breath and didn't release it until the very end. My hands were gripping the cinema seat all the way through. Superb.

James R
the grocer of despair

Postby James R » 24 Feb 2007, 05:06

I haven't been as shattered by a film in a long time as I was at the end of United 93. I don't know if I'll ever be able to bring myself to watch it a second time, and I mean that as a tribute to Greengrass' achievement with the film.
pcqgod wrote:I like how Liebling progresses from a rotting, animated corpse living in his parents' basement to a slightly more life-affirming walking corpse by the end of the movie.

Goat Boy wrote:I recall a midget with large tits dancing.

Matty Red Sox
Shameless Canonist
Location: from NYC done with Jakarta and Hiroshima - currently hiding in Switzerland!

Postby Matty Red Sox » 04 Mar 2007, 13:35

As someone who was at the WTC and lost over 100 friends and colleagues that day, there is no way I'd watch any of these cash grabs.
the Eagles suck.

kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos

Postby kath » 04 Mar 2007, 17:03

i haven't seen it. i doubt i'm going to any time soon.

it's not that i think it's necessarily a cheap cash grab, although it may be. i just... can't watch it.

kath
whose wimp gene emerged once she had kids.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 04 Mar 2007, 18:06

I can't bring myself to watch it but I know many who like it and I feel like they're entitled to their opinion.

it burns my grits that this movie has been held up to far more public accusations of opportunism than that ABC wet dream that blamed Clinton Admin for 9/11 and was broadcast before an election.

I hate burned grits.

Ranking Ted

Postby Ranking Ted » 04 Mar 2007, 19:49

I thought it was a stunning piece of work and the strongest film of last year by some distance. It's certainly not a cash grab; the documentary which focusses on the families of the passengers which accompanies the film on the DVD is just as moving. Like I say, a hugely impressive film.

Return to “Screenadelica”