Canon Shmanon

..and why not?
Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 20 Feb 2007, 13:12

It's amazing how many of these I haven't seen. Bliss, The Hospital (saw parts of it on cable as a kid, but never the whole thing) and The Shout are all films I have meant to see for years but never got around to. Recently all of them had slipped my mind, so I appreciate being reminded. I plan to try and see all of them. I don't think I was even aware of Death Watch - sounds really interesting. Seconds is a favorite, and Phantom of The Paradise is a film need to revisit.

I guess what I'm saying is...great list. Keep 'em coming.

1) Straight Time
2) Seconds
3) Bliss
4) Cutter's Way
5) Phantom of the Paradise
6) The Hospital
7) The Shout
8) Death Watch
9) Baxter

Baxter (1991) - Jérôme Boivin
A disturbing little film about the least romanticized bull terrier in the history of film. Definitely not for kids.
“Remember I have said good things about benevolent despots before.” - Jimbo

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 20 Feb 2007, 22:37

Here's some really good '70s movies I'm sure not all of us have seen (and not one of them is obscure):

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 20 Feb 2007, 23:07

Here's some more from the '80s (the decade that good films forgot):

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 20 Feb 2007, 23:11

that reminds me, I need to run out and buy a sheet of stamps!

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 20 Feb 2007, 23:15

:shock: Yikes Matt...talk about sensory overload!!!

Why not stick with the one nomination a day format? I know you are a dangerous leather-pants wearing rebel and all...but there's no way to give your titles the consideration they deserve when you shotgum them like that.

That said - some awfully good films in there.
“Remember I have said good things about benevolent despots before.” - Jimbo

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 20 Feb 2007, 23:30

davey the fat boy wrote::shock: Yikes Matt...talk about sensory overload!!!

Why not stick with the one nomination a day format? I know you are a dangerous leather-pants wearing rebel and all...but there's no way to give your titles the consideration they deserve when you shotgum them like that.

That said - some awfully good films in there.

You know that your beloved John Lennon wore leather pants, don't you?

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 20 Feb 2007, 23:41

you're going to spoil me, Matt Wilson. from now on, no movie thread will seem complete until John Lennon shows up wearing leather pants.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 20 Feb 2007, 23:46

Sneelock wrote:you're going to spoil me, Matt Wilson. from now on, no movie thread will seem complete until John Lennon shows up wearing leather pants.

I actually tried to google a picture of the Hamburg Beatles wearing leather pants for our Davey but couldn't find any decent ones.

Your contributions would be welcome.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 20 Feb 2007, 23:47

I'd rather talk about your movies! I just can't decide if we should do it in this thread or start another.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 20 Feb 2007, 23:50

Sneelock wrote:I'd rather talk about your movies! I just can't decide if we should do it in this thread or start another.

Just pick one or two and pontificate.
Some very commercial choices there but some forgotten ones too.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 20 Feb 2007, 23:55

Matt Wilson wrote:Just pick one or two and pontificate.

you sure know how to sweet talk a girl, don't you?
naw, I think Davey's got some sort of structure in mind here.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 21 Feb 2007, 00:01

Sneelock wrote:
Matt Wilson wrote:Just pick one or two and pontificate.

you sure know how to sweet talk a girl, don't you?
naw, I think Davey's got some sort of structure in mind here.

Man, fuck the structure. Say something even remotely controversial!
How's this: Drugstore Cowboy is Gus' best film bar none.

Or:
Airplane is THE great lost comedy of the '80s.

Or:
Falcon & The Snowman contains a Sean Penn performance better than some of the ones he's been nominated for (Sweet & Lowdown in particular).

etc.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 21 Feb 2007, 00:07

well, you sure know how to get the ball rolling.
I still think you should start a "Matt Wilson's Movies" thread.
but, I'm gonna bite anyway.

Matt Wilson wrote:Man, fuck the structure. Say something even remotely controversial!
How's this: Drugstore Cowboy is Gus' best film bar none.

well, who's going to argue with that?

Or:
Airplane is THE great lost comedy of the '80s.

when did it get lost?

Or:
Falcon & The Snowman contains a Sean Penn performance better than some of the ones he's been nominated for (Sweet & Lowdown in particular).

etc.

we have a winner! I don't agree by a longshot. first of all, I like the movie but I suspect not as much as you. sadly, I think Penn is much of my reason. I'm a great admirer and he really is talented but his performance here always struck me as Rupert Pupkin Junior
I think he is much busier than he needs to be. true, this nervousness adds to the film but I think there's an emotional underpinning that Sean missed by a mile.

I might think Falcon is on a par with 'Sweet and Lowdown' but I think Penn is a much more confident actor in this one.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 21 Feb 2007, 00:13

Sneelock wrote:we have a winner! I don't agree by a longshot. first of all, I like the movie but I suspect not as much as you. sadly, I think Penn is much of my reason. I'm a great admirer and he really is talented but his performance here always struck me as Rupert Pupkin Junior
I think he is much busier than he needs to be. true, this nervousness adds to the film but I think there's an emotional underpinning that Sean missed by a mile.

I might think Falcon is on a par with 'Sweet and Lowdown' but I think Penn is a much more confident actor in this one.

Hey, I won't argue.
I originally saw it in 1985 when I was 20 and loved the acting (whatever happened to Tim Hutton? He once showed such promise). I'm not a huge fan of King of Comedy so I actually like Falcon & The Snowman better. But then, I haven't seen it in years so I may change my opinion when I see it again.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 21 Feb 2007, 00:16

Hutton starred in and exective produced a cable series of the popular "Nero Wolfe" mysteries. they are a little stagey and cheap but the material is well suited to this. he made a terrific Archie, Nero Wolfe's right hand man. they did maybe three seasons of those and pulled the plug maybe a year ago.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 21 Feb 2007, 00:18

I love 'the king of comedy'!
I think it's the funhouse mirror version of 'Taxi Driver'
I think 'King' is to 'Taxi Driver' what 'Beat the Devil' is to 'Maltese Falcon'

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 21 Feb 2007, 00:23

How about what an underrated actor Nick Nolte was.
Before he got his oscar nom for Prince of Tides he was responsible for a handful of cool performances. North Dallas Forty is nothing less than the finest film to deal with football ever made (not a whole lot of competition, admitedly), and everyone concerned was fabulous in Down and Out in Beverly Hills.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 21 Feb 2007, 00:38

I don't like those as much as you.
both are good, I can see why you pick them.

I have a lot of problems with "Down and Out in Beverly Hills"
while I agree the cast is great, that whole 'high concept' muscle is strong, I just don't really connect with it. what's it about? yeah, it's a comedy, it's supposed to be funny and I suppose it is.

I think Dreyfuss' "I ate dogfood and I LOVED it" reading is a career highlight. it sounds silly but it really bugs me a lot that every woman who screws the bum - her life improves instantly. If I felt it addded something overall, maybe I wouldn't mind. Nolte is great and the highlight of the movie for me (next to Dreyfuss' big scene)

Nolte has star quality to burn in North Dallas Forty and it's something you haven't seen before. it's almost a Michael Ritchie type approach. I like it better than 'Down and Out' - I'm not much of a sports fan but I usually like sports films.

"Who'll Stop the Rain" is a Nolte movie that I would single out. I know it's a little slow going but, like Night Moves, I think this is the desired effect - it all comes out in the wash. speaking of Hutton, that 90's Sidney Lumet movie "Q&A" Nolte was FIERCE in that movie. I thought he was going to come right down off the screen and kick my ass. not a great movie but he really is a hell of an actor. I tried to watch "the hulk" not long ago and even in a movie I don't care about the guy is just an animal in a cage when he's onscreen.

I think he's one of the best guys working.
now this: Nick Nolte - freaky plastic surgery? yes or no.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 21 Feb 2007, 00:48

Gosh, I haven't seen Who'll Stop the Rain in years. I'd forgotten all about it.

How about Dreyfuss then?
A '70s icon: American Graffiti, Duddy Kravitz, Jaws, Close Encounters, and an oscar for Goodbye Girl.

Then a not-bad run in the '80s: narrated Stand By Me, and then Down & Out..., Nuts (underrated performance), Tin Men (I should have pictured this above--great film), and the box office hit Stakeout to top things off.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 21 Feb 2007, 00:57

I heard he hated his own performance in 'Duddy Kravitz' I think he's pretty amazing in that. he is so engaging that the thing works. I think they ran the risk of Duddy being very unlikable and Dreyfuss keeps that from happening. even when he's a schmuck, you can see his wheels turning - like he knows better but does it anyway.

I like 'Tin Men' too. same sort of thing. the guy is a professional liar but you want him to do the right thing. I think it's one of Barry Levinson's two best films.

In Ken Russell's biography he says lots of terrible things about Richard Dreyfuss, especially regarding his toupee. I saw him on Bill Maher's cable show and he seemed a pretty serious guy. I coudn't tell if he was wearing a toupee.

Return to “Screenadelica”