Big Wednesday/The Omega Man

..and why not?
sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 16 Feb 2007, 20:19

Matt Wilson wrote:Image
The Omega Man (1971)
Here's another one I love you won't find in the canon. From a novel where everyone is a vampire after the apocalypse the film wisely makes the survivors mutants instead. The few normal humans who remain are forced to band together for survival. Our boy, Chuck Heston lives up in an apartment accessable only by a single elevator in the heart of a city (even the other "normal" people ask him why he still lives there--they've moved out into the surrounding hills). This is one of those Heston sci-fi films like Planet of the Apes and Soylent Green which try to make some kind of grand statement about humanity or something.

Like Big Wednesday, I wonder if I'd like this film as much if I were discovering it now. Again--probably not. There's something about finding a movie at the right age which can't be beat. There's even going to be a remake this year starring Will Smith (called by the book's name I Am Legend) which I'll bet won't be as good. Say what you will re Chuck's acting "style" I doubt Smith will carry as much gravitas.

I loved Anthony Zerbe as head mutant, Matthias.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 16 Feb 2007, 20:23

Sneelock wrote:well, I'll give him Buddy Holly. otherwise, he should have layed off the goofballs.

I still see a flash now and then in his sub-dennis hopper roles but I think his eyes have been pretty glazed for at least 20 years now. it's a shame, too. LOTS of talent.

I loved him as Mr. Joshua in Lethal Weapon.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

Return to “Screenadelica”