Altman / McCabe and Mrs. Miller / etc...

..and why not?

Best Altman Film

McCabe and Mrs. Miller
17%
Nashville
42%
M*A*S*H
17%
Brewster McCloud (Reportedly Altman's favorite)
No votes
The Player
8%
Short Cuts
No votes
Gosford Park
No votes
3 Women
8%
A Wedding
No votes
The Long Goodbye
No votes
Images
No votes
Quintet
No votes
Other (please specify)
No votes
Altman sucks
8%

Total votes: 12

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 15 Feb 2007, 02:01

Jeemo wrote:I can take or leave most of Altmans stuff, dont really see whats so special about his films

You ever see McCabe and Mrs. Miller? Regardless of how one thinks it stacks up with Nashville, I think it is still the best one to get a sense of what was so special about this guy.
“Remember I have said good things about benevolent despots before.” - Jimbo

The Write Profile
2017 BCB Cup Champ

Postby The Write Profile » 15 Feb 2007, 02:47

Sneelock wrote:it's a style. I just really like his style. the characters interact with their surroundings and each other a certain way. he took the great post war movie genres and kicked them in the nuts, one way or the other. he let actors be more important than the story often to good effect. he had a world view.

I came of movie worshipping age when that whole "auteur" theory was going gangbusters and no single filmaker seemed to walk the walk as much as Altman.

I'm not trying to win you over. I just like talking about it. I think he was amazing.

Yeah, I'd go with that. I really like the um 'vibe' of McCabe & Mrs Miller and the Long Goodbye, the sense that the film ebbs and flows at exactly the speed it has to- no more or less. Did Robert Altman ever work with Elmore Leonard? If not that's a shame, because I reckon they would've been a really good fit--Elmore's dialogue is all about the beats in between the lines, if you will and the love of venacular. Altman's cinema at its best is equally conversational.
It's before my time but I've been told, he never came back from Karangahape Road.

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 15 Feb 2007, 08:05

davey the fat boy wrote:
Jeemo wrote:I can take or leave most of Altmans stuff, dont really see whats so special about his films

You ever see McCabe and Mrs. Miller? Regardless of how one thinks it stacks up with Nashville, I think it is still the best one to get a sense of what was so special about this guy.

I thought Nashville was good, but thought McCabe was a bit meh. It was a film that I really wanted to see, came to it wanting to really like it but it just never clicked
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 15 Feb 2007, 16:15

Jeemo wrote:
davey the fat boy wrote:

I thought Nashville was good, but thought McCabe was a bit meh. It was a film that I really wanted to see, came to it wanting to really like it but it just never clicked

If you've seen those and still don't love his work, you just don't love his work. Different strokes.
“Remember I have said good things about benevolent despots before.” - Jimbo

Return to “Screenadelica”