Orson Welles

..and why not?
Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 14 Feb 2007, 00:32

Sneelock wrote:I've never had any poontang in Rio De Janeiro so I can't really judge.

I had sex with my girlfriend there a week ago. It was pretty good!

Does that count?
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 14 Feb 2007, 00:55

works for me!
whatever you do, don't give your movie a happy ending!!!!

Mr Maps
a drunk in a midnight choir

Postby Mr Maps » 14 Feb 2007, 02:26

= marios = wrote:Has anyone here seen RKO 281, the TV film about the making of Citizen Kane? Liev Schreiber was quite convincing as Welles and the film itself wasn't bad.

I haven't seen this but I like Schreiber, he's underrated and needs better roles.
If you get the deluxe of Kane there is a long documentary from the American Experience series on the subject of Welle's and Hearst's battling and it's very good.

Sneelock wrote:he also says it's a comedy.
heck, I'll take his word for it on both counts. I think it's an exceptional film.

Kafka himself considerd the Trial an absurdist comedy. We see it through history. Kafka was lucky enough to have died ten years before the concentration camps opened.
nathan wrote:I realize there is a time and a place for unsexy music, but I personally have no time for it.

Django wrote: It's video clips of earnest post-rock I want, and I have little time for anything else.

19th biggest tosser on BCB

Mr Maps

Postby Mr Maps » 15 Feb 2007, 14:51

I have an obscure little thing, his first film. From 1934 called Hearts of Age.

Anyone know it?
nathan wrote:I realize there is a time and a place for unsexy music, but I personally have no time for it.

Django wrote: It's video clips of earnest post-rock I want, and I have little time for anything else.

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 15 Feb 2007, 15:20

Mr Maps wrote:I have an obscure little thing, his first film. From 1934 called Hearts of Age.

Anyone know it?

Only from what is in some books, is that the one with Joseph Cotten and the old man?
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 15 Feb 2007, 15:24

Mr Maps wrote:
= marios = wrote:Has anyone here seen RKO 281, the TV film about the making of Citizen Kane? Liev Schreiber was quite convincing as Welles and the film itself wasn't bad.

I haven't seen this but I like Schreiber, he's underrated and needs better roles.
If you get the deluxe of Kane there is a long documentary from the American Experience series on the subject of Welle's and Hearst's battling and it's very good.

It's a very, very good. I recommend it highly.

It's got a really smart script. The whole time Hearst and Welles are battling over Kane's surface resemblance to Hearst, the film is simultaneously making the case that it is Welles himself who suffers most from Kane's insistence on controlling the terms in which other humans interact with him.

While nothing can compare with Kane itself, this is one of the few instances where this kind of project results in something that is a truly worthy addendum to the original source material.
“Remember I have said good things about benevolent despots before.” - Jimbo

Mr Maps

Postby Mr Maps » 15 Feb 2007, 15:40

Jeemo wrote:
Mr Maps wrote:I have an obscure little thing, his first film. From 1934 called Hearts of Age.

Anyone know it?

Only from what is in some books, is that the one with Joseph Cotten and the old man?

No there's no descernable story line, no stars and is really just Welles, his first wife and some friends in make up and costume doing camera tests. There are some interesting shots that foreshadow what he did later On the commentary by Jeffery Lyons he says if one didn't know it was Welles you would attach no importance to it at all. It's only about 6 minutes long and silent.

I was meant to make you copy of The Trial wasn't I? I can do this one as well.
Sorry I got sidetracked by my wedding in October, it's build up and aftermath.

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 15 Feb 2007, 16:06

Mr Maps wrote:
Jeemo wrote:

Anyone know it?

No there's no descernable story line, no stars and is really just Welles, his first wife and some friends in make up and costume doing camera tests. There are some interesting shots that foreshadow what he did later On the commentary by Jeffery Lyons he says if one didn't know it was Welles you would attach no importance to it at all. It's only about 6 minutes long and silent.

Lovely, I can do you RKO 281 if you like
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 15 Feb 2007, 16:31

Mr Maps wrote:

I like him too. We saw him do Shakespeare in the Park (Henry V) a few years ago and he was very good. He's a cousin of a friend of ours and he was at a dinner party we attended once. He seemed like a genuinely nice guy, although that was a few years ago so he could be a total bastard by now.

But his career doesn't seem to be on the fast track to Hollywood whoredom, so maybe he's still a nice guy.
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

Mr Maps

Postby Mr Maps » 15 Feb 2007, 17:03

Jeemo wrote:
Mr Maps wrote:
Jeemo wrote:

Anyone know it?

Mmmmmm, I think I can get that one quite easily but if you could do me a Magnificent Ambersons, I'd be forever indebted to you.

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 15 Feb 2007, 17:25

Mr Maps wrote:
Jeemo wrote:
Mr Maps wrote:
Jeemo wrote:

Anyone know it?

Mmmmmm, I think I can get that one quite easily but if you could do me a Magnificent Ambersons, I'd be forever indebted to you.

I dont have that. Sorry

I have Kane, Confidential Report, Lady from Shanghai, The Stranger (not a good transfer) Touch Of Evil
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

marios

Postby marios » 15 Feb 2007, 22:14

Snarfyguy wrote: But his career doesn't seem to be on the fast track to Hollywood whoredom, so maybe he's still a nice guy.

A nice guy who happens to be banging Naomi Watts. Bastard! :x

Mr Maps

Postby Mr Maps » 16 Feb 2007, 02:32

Jeemo wrote:
Mr Maps wrote:Mmmmmm, I think I can get that one quite easily but if you could do me a Magnificent Ambersons, I'd be forever indebted to you.

I dont have that. Sorry

I have Kane, Confidential Report, Lady from Shanghai, The Stranger (not a good transfer) Touch Of Evil

I'm working on an Ambersons for each of us. Two more potential sources I just thought of. :wink:

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 18 Feb 2007, 17:22

I was looking at the DVD of "Lady from Shanghai" yesterday and I like Bogdonvich's commentary quite a bit. I thought his 'Kane' commentary was a little weak but maybe that's just compared to how strong Ebert's commentary was.

anyway, most Orson fans know most of these tales but he enjoys telling them and some of them are quite revealing. one thing that bears repeating is that when Orson died, these films were all pretty much considered failures of one sort or another. it's nice to seem them regarded as good movies or movies worth seeing at any rate.

Everett Sloan and Rita are very good indeed. I like Welle's stupid accent. I think it gives the film a 'too stylized' foundation that works well for me. it's a movie. I think, as the movie goes along, all the 'subconcious' imagery (the trial, the funhouse) while really obvious really kick the genre upstairs quite a bit.

I love how often orson's camera gets in that weird guys face, like he's talking right at us.

i think they did a nice job on the DVD, it's really nice.
if you don't like commentaries then you can watch Bogdonovich say the same things pretty verbatim in person. is it just me or is the man incapable of wearing a tie without it becoming an ascot? be that as it may. PB has been tooting Orson's horn WAY before anybody else (in Hollywood, anyway) so I feel like he's entitled. also, some of the observations he claims to have coaxed out of Orson are really very interesting.
I'll give it four and a half out of a possible five rosebuds!
Last edited by Sneelock on 18 Feb 2007, 19:34, edited 1 time in total.

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 18 Feb 2007, 19:32

Sneelock wrote:I like Welle's stupid accent.

Better than his stupid accent in The VIPs?

I'll have to re-watch The Lady from Shanghai. I don't remember a thing about it.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 18 Feb 2007, 19:33

"target practice!"

Return to “Screenadelica”