Spielberg

..and why not?
Mr Maps
a drunk in a midnight choir

Postby Mr Maps » 09 Feb 2007, 22:01

I think Matt Damon's a good actor and has made more interesting choices than his old pal Ben Affleck.

I didn't like Saving Private Ryan. I not a fan of war films in general but this was just a better version of 'the rag tag crew getting to know each other'; the loose cannon, the scared guy, the morally conflicted guy and the strong quiet leader who teaches them all about themselves and why they fight etc.
nathan wrote:I realize there is a time and a place for unsexy music, but I personally have no time for it.

Django wrote: It's video clips of earnest post-rock I want, and I have little time for anything else.

19th biggest tosser on BCB

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 09 Feb 2007, 23:49

Maxwell's Golden Pickaxe wrote:'Duel' is his best.

It's true.
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 10 Feb 2007, 01:38

The McCartney comparison's a great one, he can go from bathetic to brilliant on the turn of a dime. He's obviously pretty accomplished technically, but characters can be incredibly one-dimensional in his films, and if I see one more kid actor in a Spielberg film bug his eyes out, I will scream! (I thought Joseph Mazzello was a terrible actor, for instance, based on his performance in Jurassic Park, until I saw what a great performance he gave in a not-so-great movie called The Cure). For what it's worth, here's how I rate his movies (limited to ones I've actually seen):

CLASSIC
Jaws
Schindler's List
Catch Me if You Can (his most stylish- and underrated- movie)

GOOD
Duel
Close Encounters
Empire of the Sun (lacks originality, but a very good David Lean tribute)
Amistad
Saving Private Ryan (though the opening's classic)
A.I. (I expect disagreement here too. I really liked it!)
Minority Report

MEH
Raiders of the Lost Ark (I expect some disagreement with this one, but I'm not a big fan of the series. Emotionally empty, and doesn't even entertain me that much)
Jurassic Park
The Lost World: Jurassic Park (no worse than the original, but why did I bother?)
The Terminal

AWFUL
E.T. (one of the most overrated movies ever)
Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (very meanspirited movie. Couldn't wait for it to be over)

Yes, I know I need to see Munich and The Color Purple.
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2023?

James R
the grocer of despair

Postby James R » 10 Feb 2007, 09:52

davey the fat boy wrote:
Matt Wilson wrote:Now, dare I pontificate on my Brad Pitt obsession?

Oh do start a thread... :wink:

Or get a room.

As for me, I don't have a coherent opinion on Spielberg, or even an incoherent opinion of him. He's not someone I really give any thought to.
pcqgod wrote:I like how Liebling progresses from a rotting, animated corpse living in his parents' basement to a slightly more life-affirming walking corpse by the end of the movie.

Goat Boy wrote:I recall a midget with large tits dancing.

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 10 Feb 2007, 17:50

Mr Maps wrote:I think Matt Damon's a good actor and has made more interesting choices than his old pal Ben Affleck.

Yo. I thought he was very good in the Bourne films; his performances were part of what made them the best thrillers of recent years.

I´m with you on Private Ryan too - descends into generic mush after the opening half-hour.
As for Spielberg in general, I just tend to like his popcorn stuff - Jurassic Park, Minority Report and Raiders are my favourites of his. I thought Munich was leaden and directionless, a film which didn´t say anything about its characters or the events they were caught up in. Schindler´s List and Empire of the Sun were far more successful but he still didn´t manage to shake off the excess sentimentality that mars much of his work.
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

Mr Maps
a drunk in a midnight choir

Postby Mr Maps » 10 Feb 2007, 19:31

penk wrote:
Mr Maps wrote:I think Matt Damon's a good actor and has made more interesting choices than his old pal Ben Affleck.

Yo. I thought he was very good in the Bourne films; his performances were part of what made them the best thrillers of recent years.

I concur. I like him in The Talented Mr. Ripley and ahem Gerry.

*takes cover*
nathan wrote:I realize there is a time and a place for unsexy music, but I personally have no time for it.

Django wrote: It's video clips of earnest post-rock I want, and I have little time for anything else.

19th biggest tosser on BCB

Maxwell's Golden Pickaxe
spud thick mick

Postby Maxwell's Golden Pickaxe » 11 Feb 2007, 10:57

Mr Maps wrote:
penk wrote:

I concur. I like him in The Talented Mr. Ripley and ahem Gerry.

*takes cover*

Maps, If you like Gerry you might dig Old Joy. A slow moving study of a friendship between two males unravelling, starring Will Oldham.

Molony

Postby Molony » 11 Feb 2007, 15:25

nathan wrote:E.T. - Often derided as being too gooey. Well it is a modern fable, what do you expect? Taken in context, it's a gorgeous movie. Fables are certainly a lost art in our more cynical modern society and it's possibly why this movie hasn't aged well. Our loss, really. I watch it once about every five years and it still affects me like it did when I was 6 years old. To me, that's a successful movie because that's all it wanted to do. It just wants you to connect with the joy and wonder of your inner child.

My feelings exactly ...

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 12 Feb 2007, 22:43

well, not everybody's inner child can be had for the price of a few Reese's Pieces. I think E.T. is ghastly and I'm relieved that my children don't care about it.

You either think the world needs a Lassie/Jesus movie or you don't. I don't.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 12 Feb 2007, 23:48

nathan wrote:Any great storyteller is a manipulator. Bad argument. :roll:

Even the blessed Hitchcock was an extreme manipulator. It's just not cool to like Spielberg.

I think it's a good argument.
first of all, you've got it backwards. it's cool for people TO like Spielberg.
I'm glad we straightened that out.

okay, Hitchcock let's the audience see the bomb under the table then shows you somebody talking about something that's not really important.
EGADS!!! shut up!! there's a BOMB!!! - Good Manipulation

Spielberg shows something really sad. then he shows somebody's eyes welling up with tears then the music gets really SAD and really LOUD. then more eyes well up with more tears. - bad manipulation

I agree Unca Steve is on an upswing but I still think his popularity lies a great deal in the fact that people feel like he gives them bang for their buck. take that 'war of the worlds' thing. many think it's a good movie. I think it's made, TO BE PLAYED LOUD. it made me wish that mankind would be wiped out before the movie's end. I doubt that was the intention but if people liked it, who cares what I think? - bad manipulation

Ray K.

Postby Ray K. » 13 Feb 2007, 13:14

nathan wrote:Jaws - It took the monster movie to new heights. Fought the studio to not show the shark until an hour in. He was right. He also made sure it had a strong human presence with strong and memorable characters. Would it have been the same without Robert Shaw? no.

I also thought it was a question of the shark malfunctioning and not so much an artistic decision as just accepting the limitations of the prop. Of course I’ll admit this is no more than unsubstantiated hearsay.

Definitely agree with Shaw... more than necessary.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 13 Feb 2007, 20:11

great film!
the editor Verna Fields and John Williams score get a lot of credit and deserve a lot of credit. a fine slab of moviemaking!

Return to “Screenadelica”