AFI: 100 Greatest Films - STRIPPED

..and why not?
Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 15 Feb 2007, 17:37

Matt Wilson wrote:Don't be patronizing, Davey.

Help! That remark is patronizing!
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 15 Feb 2007, 17:38

Snarfyguy wrote:

Are you being a cunt, Chris?

Mr Maps
a drunk in a midnight choir

Postby Mr Maps » 15 Feb 2007, 17:44

Matt Wilson wrote:
Snarfyguy wrote:

Are you being a cunt, Chris?

I think he's being a patron.
nathan wrote:I realize there is a time and a place for unsexy music, but I personally have no time for it.

Django wrote: It's video clips of earnest post-rock I want, and I have little time for anything else.

19th biggest tosser on BCB

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 15 Feb 2007, 20:55

Matt Wilson wrote:
There was the same debate in the US. So what? The debate was ridiculous. The Deer Hunter isn't portraying itself as a true life event like My Darling Clementine therefore you can't use the same criteria to judge it. It's as simple as that.

Besides, to play devil's advocate how do you know someone, somewhere didn't play Russian Roulette in the jungles of Vietnam or in Saigon? You'd have a hard time proving otherwise.
When you watch Gone with the Wind do you complain that there's no documented evidence of a guy with two women (one of them pregnant) escaping the burning of Atlanta during the Civil War? Or how about in From Here to Eternity when Pruitt tries to rejoin the Army after deserting it and is shot. Geez, I never read of that happening...

I could go on and on...

Utterly specious Matt, The Deerhunter was one of the first Vietnam films a mere four years after US withdrawl. You can't compare it to some historical melodrama especially as the film itself had spent the first 90 minutes parading its naturalism.

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 15 Feb 2007, 20:58

16.ALL ABOUT EVE (1950)
21.THE GRAPES OF WRATH (1940)
23.THE MALTESE FALCON (1941)
26.DR. STRANGELOVE (1964)
28.APOCALYPSE NOW (1979)
38.DOUBLE INDEMNITY (1944)
57.THE THIRD MAN (1949)
61.VERTIGO (1958)

Sorry something had to go. North By Northwest seems a little slight compared to the heavyweights around it.

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 15 Feb 2007, 21:08

Corporal Moddie! wrote:
Matt Wilson wrote:
There was the same debate in the US. So what? The debate was ridiculous. The Deer Hunter isn't portraying itself as a true life event like My Darling Clementine therefore you can't use the same criteria to judge it. It's as simple as that.

Besides, to play devil's advocate how do you know someone, somewhere didn't play Russian Roulette in the jungles of Vietnam or in Saigon? You'd have a hard time proving otherwise.
When you watch Gone with the Wind do you complain that there's no documented evidence of a guy with two women (one of them pregnant) escaping the burning of Atlanta during the Civil War? Or how about in From Here to Eternity when Pruitt tries to rejoin the Army after deserting it and is shot. Geez, I never read of that happening...

I could go on and on...

Utterly specious Matt, The Deerhunter was one of the first Vietnam films a mere four years after US withdrawl. You can't compare it to some historical melodrama especially as the film itself had spent the first 90 minutes parading its naturalism.

I don't see where accuracy factors in at all with either film. If I want accuracy I'll buy a book or search out a documentary. When I watch a feature film I'm looking for some kind of artistic statement or at least entertainment. I don't have the expectation that what I am watching is absolutely factually true.

Why do you care about this?
“Remember I have said good things about benevolent despots before.” - Jimbo

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 15 Feb 2007, 21:18

davey the fat boy wrote:
Corporal Moddie! wrote:
Matt Wilson wrote:

I could go on and on...

I don't see where accuracy factors in at all with either film. If I want accuracy I'll buy a book or search out a documentary. When I watch a feature film I'm looking for some kind of artistic statement or at least entertainment. I don't have the expectation that what I am watching is absolutely factually true.

I like the film a lot, I find the roulette sequence immensely powerful. We can take it as an audacious metaphor for the way war dehumanises prehaps. Nevertheless the film had spent the previous 90 minutes or so establishing a realism, there was nothing in the narrative to prepare you for such an outrageous fiction. And there is a political subtext to this, which is a representation of the vietnamese as inhumane sadists. Given it's closeness to the events it was depicting you can quite see why some would see this as crude propaganda.
I'm uneasy about it while recognising its brilliance. Film can be like that, it doesn't have to be black and white.
Last edited by The Modernist on 15 Feb 2007, 21:21, edited 1 time in total.

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 15 Feb 2007, 21:20

21.THE GRAPES OF WRATH (1940)
28.APOCALYPSE NOW (1979)
57.THE THIRD MAN (1949)
61.VERTIGO (1958)

There's no way to do this without pissing someone off. So I'm a rebel. I'm edgy. And you can't stop me! I'm out of control!! Bwahahahahaha!!

But seriously, folks. ALL ABOUT EVE had to go. Great acting and incredibly incisive dialogue. And I'm sad to lose it because it's the best of its genre, leaving no truly dialogue-driven scripts. And that's too bad. But it just doesn't do it for me emotionally like the others here do.

It's the two lowest ranked ones I'm most rooting for out of what's left, although I too wonder what THE THIRD MAN's doing here. It's not an American film- not an American director, not made here, not set here. What's the deal? Classic, classic film though.
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2023?

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 15 Feb 2007, 21:23

toomanyhatz wrote:
It's the two lowest ranked ones I'm most rooting for out of what's left, although I too wonder what THE THIRD MAN's doing here. It's not an American film- not an American director, not made here, not set here. What's the deal? Classic, classic film though.

Well technically it's a co-production. It seems to have more American imput than Lawrence Of arabia even if the latter came out of a hollywood studio (United Artists I think, but I haven't checked that).

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 15 Feb 2007, 21:31

Corporal Moddie! wrote:
davey the fat boy wrote:
Corporal Moddie! wrote:
Matt Wilson wrote:

I could go on and on...

I like the film a lot, I find the roulette sequence immensely powerful. We can take it as an audacious metaphor for the way war dehumanises prehaps. Nevertheless the film had spent the precious 90 minutes or so establishing a realism, there was nothing in the narrative to prepare you for such an outrageous fiction. And there is a political subtext to this, which is a representation of the vietnamese as inhumane sadists. Given it's closeness to the events it was depicting you can quite see why some would see this as crude propaganda.
I'm uneasy about it while recognising its brilliance. Film can be like that, it doesn't have to be black and white.

Sure I can see how people would see things that way. The benefit of time is that it wipes those issues away and allows you to see things more clearly.

Interestingly, while some may have seen The Deer Hunter as propaganda then, today many are struck by the film's unwillingness to take a strident position as exemplified by Cimino's choice to end it with a seemingly un-ironic singing of "God Bless America". If the Deer Hunter meant to be propaganda, it is bad propaganda. If it meant to be art, it is great art.

Like you said - nothing is black and white. People can hold conflicting opinions. All I'm saying is that, when it comes to film, opinions based on historical accuracy seldom hold much weight with me.

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 15 Feb 2007, 21:38

toomanyhatz wrote:It's the two lowest ranked ones I'm most rooting for out of what's left

I'll show my cards and come out and say that I'm rooting for one of the two. In my mind Vertigo is the only film left that makes sense emerging as the top dog here after the more obvious choices were stripped. If those people who took Citizen Kane, The Godfather and Gone With the Wind did so to try and get to a less hyped film that arguably might justify the title of "best film ever" - Vertigo IMHO is the only one left that can shoulder that title.

Ranking Ted

Postby Ranking Ted » 15 Feb 2007, 21:40

28.APOCALYPSE NOW (1979)
57.THE THIRD MAN (1949)
61.VERTIGO (1958)

Goodbye to the Grapes of Wrath. These all have more watchability on a repeat basis for me.

I'm rooting for the plucky Brit. That'll kill it.

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 15 Feb 2007, 21:46

davey the fat boy wrote:Citizen Kane, The Godfather and Gone With the Wind

Does Gone With the Wind typically keep such august company? I admit, I haven't seen it since I was a teenager, when I had no use whatsoever for it, but I've always thought it was generally considered (critically, rather than popularly) an overheated melodrama.
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 15 Feb 2007, 21:46

28.APOCALYPSE NOW (1979)
57.THE THIRD MAN (1949)
61.VERTIGO (1958)

Dr. Strangelove had to go. It's not quite as good as the rest, in that it's not as plainly enjoyable. And it's a little too in love with itself.

Ranking Ted

Postby Ranking Ted » 15 Feb 2007, 21:52

D wrote:23.THE MALTESE FALCON (1941)
28.APOCALYPSE NOW (1979)
57.THE THIRD MAN (1949)
61.VERTIGO (1958)

Dr. Strangelove had to go. It's not quite as good as the rest, in that it's not as plainly enjoyable. And it's a little too in love with itself.

Oh, I don't agree that it's in love with itself. It's Kubrick, so of course it's more, er, mathematical than your usual black comedy, and Sellers does perhaps overindulge (if brilliantly) but it's hugely enjoyable and perfect in itself.

It's among heady company here though, so I don't necessarily disagree that it was the one to go at this stage.

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 15 Feb 2007, 21:54

Snarfyguy wrote:
davey the fat boy wrote:Citizen Kane, The Godfather and Gone With the Wind

Does Gone With the Wind typically keep such august company? I admit, I haven't seen it since I was a teenager, when I had no use whatsoever for it, but I've always thought it was generally considered (critically, rather than popularly) an overheated melodrama.

Depends on who you are talking to.

I included it in that grouping because it has a strong following for the title of "best film ever." Perhaps not as much by critics, but if this exercise ended up with that film as the result, it would not be the first time a group of people settled on it as their consensus pick.

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 15 Feb 2007, 21:56

D wrote:23.THE MALTESE FALCON (1941)
28.APOCALYPSE NOW (1979)
57.THE THIRD MAN (1949)
61.VERTIGO (1958)

I would have gone for it next as well.
I'd be happy for any of these to win it.

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 15 Feb 2007, 21:57

28.APOCALYPSE NOW (1979)
57.THE THIRD MAN (1949)
61.VERTIGO (1958)

I'm actually amazed at this list emerging as a top 5. Not what I would have thought in the beginning at all, but a pretty tremendous batch of films.

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 15 Feb 2007, 21:58

57.THE THIRD MAN (1949)
61.VERTIGO (1958)

Apocalypse Now goes as its a bit of a mess and Denis Hopper is in it
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 15 Feb 2007, 22:01