Directors' lists of fave films

..and why not?
marios

Postby marios » 02 Feb 2007, 11:29

The RightGraduate Profile wrote:
Sneelock wrote:jackie chan watching buster keaton makes perfect sense!

Of course it does! I'm not that big a fan of his films, but the guy comes accross as really likeable and there is something really endearing about the fact that he only wants to entertain. And obviously the fact he does his own stunts, plays the ordinary person thrust into the absurd situation, likes his things fairly fast paced, etc, can be traced back to his love of Keaton. But me, I'm waiting for him to combine that with War and Peace!

He's said it repeatedly that Keaton is his favorite actor. His films are often full of subtle or not so subtle references to Keaton's films. Remember the one where he's hanging from the clock on the side of the town hall or something like that?

marios

Postby marios » 02 Feb 2007, 11:30

Sir John Coan wrote:What the uck is Gus Van Sant doing, listing 1-7 as 'Kids'?

That was weird, indeed. I'm not sure that was his intention but that's how it reads.

James R
the grocer of despair

Postby James R » 02 Feb 2007, 14:00

= marios = wrote:He's said it repeatedly that Keaton is his favorite actor. His films are often full of subtle or not so subtle references to Keaton's films. Remember the one where he's hanging from the clock on the side of the town hall or something like that?

Which is actually a reference to Harold Lloyd (Safety Last in particular), not Keaton. You want Keaton-referencing in Jackie's films, there's a glorious (because so unabashedly overt) knock-off of the falling building from Steamboat Jr in Project A Part II.

I'm fairly sure I've seen him say somewhere that Fred Astaire was also high on his list of influences.
pcqgod wrote:I like how Liebling progresses from a rotting, animated corpse living in his parents' basement to a slightly more life-affirming walking corpse by the end of the movie.

Goat Boy wrote:I recall a midget with large tits dancing.

marios

Postby marios » 03 Feb 2007, 03:34

James R wrote:
= marios = wrote:He's said it repeatedly that Keaton is his favorite actor. His films are often full of subtle or not so subtle references to Keaton's films. Remember the one where he's hanging from the clock on the side of the town hall or something like that?

Which is actually a reference to Harold Lloyd (Safety Last in particular), not Keaton. You want Keaton-referencing in Jackie's films, there's a glorious (because so unabashedly overt) knock-off of the falling building from Steamboat Jr in Project A Part II.

I'm fairly sure I've seen him say somewhere that Fred Astaire was also high on his list of influences.

You're right, of course. For some reason it was lodged in my brain as a Keaton stunt. Of course, i'm not surprised i got them mixed up as i have never actually watched a Harold Lloyd film. :oops:

And i remember the falling building part too. That IS Keaton, you are right again.

And i'm pretty sure i heard him reference Astaire too. I think it was on a crappy martial arts films documentary presented/narrated by Sam Jackson... maybe.

Return to “Screenadelica”