73%
Hate him
9%
Can we talk about Star Wars now?
18%

Total votes: 11

tweetybird

Postby tweetybird » 02 Feb 2007, 12:45

Love him. He's great. I haven't seen The New World yet, but I doubt it would make me change my mind :D
Quaco wrote: Life isn't always fun, but it's the only open pub in a ghost town. What else is there to do?

Mr Maps
a drunk in a midnight choir

Postby Mr Maps » 02 Feb 2007, 12:52

My only real problem with Thin Red Line was that after making two brilliant films in the 70's he comes out of retirement and every actor in Hollywood desperately wanting to be involved with the project so he tried to jam them all in. It becomes a game of spot the cameo and they distract from the story and visuals. I mean, what the fuck was the point of Clooney in there? I know he shot tons of footage and could have made seveal different films but he didn't have to keep everyone who walked on set in the film.
nathan wrote:I realize there is a time and a place for unsexy music, but I personally have no time for it.

Django wrote: It's video clips of earnest post-rock I want, and I have little time for anything else.

19th biggest tosser on BCB

James R
the grocer of despair

Postby James R » 02 Feb 2007, 13:58

davey the fat boy wrote:
James R wrote:I can't believe I'm the only person to have voted "hate" so far.

Can you elaborate on your vote? Have you seen all four of his films?

Yes. I have been bored to death by all four of them. The New World is the only one I've been able to sit through in its entirety, and that was purely because I was at a media preview for the film and I have a policy of sitting through media previews until the occasionally bitter end. It's years since I've seen the first three so I can't pin down any more what aggravated me about them, but I did consider the writing of The New World to be fairly poor, particularly the pseudo-poetic voiceovers. It engaged me considerably on the visual level, I will admit, but beyond that, nothing.
pcqgod wrote:I like how Liebling progresses from a rotting, animated corpse living in his parents' basement to a slightly more life-affirming walking corpse by the end of the movie.

Goat Boy wrote:I recall a midget with large tits dancing.

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 02 Feb 2007, 17:25

James R wrote:
davey the fat boy wrote:
James R wrote:I can't believe I'm the only person to have voted "hate" so far.

Can you elaborate on your vote? Have you seen all four of his films?

Yes. I have been bored to death by all four of them. The New World is the only one I've been able to sit through in its entirety, and that was purely because I was at a media preview for the film and I have a policy of sitting through media previews until the occasionally bitter end. It's years since I've seen the first three so I can't pin down any more what aggravated me about them, but I did consider the writing of The New World to be fairly poor, particularly the pseudo-poetic voiceovers. It engaged me considerably on the visual level, I will admit, but beyond that, nothing.

I won't try and change your opinion. Judging by your other posts you obviously know film well and know what you like and don't like. I'm not surprised by the nature of your objections to his work though. It makes absolute sense that the words would bother you and the visuals would engage you more. That is, I believe, how the artist intended things.

I meant to post some of this in answer to the discussion Moddies and I had started regarding Badlands, but with Malick it is really important to prioritize what you see ahead of the words you hear. Often his words are unreliable. The best example of this is in The New World where John Smith warbles on the usual platitudes about how peaceful and lacking in guile the "naturals" are. Meanwhile we actually see the Indians lie, steal, shun their own, and contemplate brutality at various points in the film. In other words, the "pseudo-poetic voiceovers" are meant to be exactly that. Malick seems to like to contrast our attempts to infuse life with a meaning that we can define with the reality of the natural world precisely to show how unnatural our need for control is.

Perhaps all of that is obvious to you, but just doesn't move you. Or maybe it'll give you another way to consider his work. Whatever...it works for me.
“Remember I have said good things about benevolent despots before.” - Jimbo

Return to “Screenadelica”