Five great chase sequences

..and why not?
James R
the grocer of despair

Postby James R » 02 Feb 2007, 08:11

The original 1974 Gone In 60 Seconds. A terrible film in so many ways, made by people who'd never made a film before (and who weren't even a real film company; Toby Halicki's own auto yard is listed as the production company, for God's sake) and who often give the impression of having only the barest idea of how to make it, but let's face it, the chase sequence occupies the whole second half of the film and incorporates real car crashes. Just think: if Halicki had had any better idea of what he was doing, he'd probably have kept the chase to about ten minutes.
pcqgod wrote:I like how Liebling progresses from a rotting, animated corpse living in his parents' basement to a slightly more life-affirming walking corpse by the end of the movie.

Goat Boy wrote:I recall a midget with large tits dancing.

James R
the grocer of despair

Postby James R » 02 Feb 2007, 08:12

Oh, and pretty much the whole of Vanishing Point.
pcqgod wrote:I like how Liebling progresses from a rotting, animated corpse living in his parents' basement to a slightly more life-affirming walking corpse by the end of the movie.

Goat Boy wrote:I recall a midget with large tits dancing.

pill-boxhat

Postby pill-boxhat » 02 Feb 2007, 15:14

sloopjohnc wrote:
Groll wrote:Next time you watch Bullit count how many times they pass the same goddam green VW. That spoils it for me.

It's funny because they even pass it outside the city.

What's also funny is how many different parts of the city they go through. By the time they get to No. Brisbane (that's a city) where the car blows up, they woulda gone through a whole tank of gas.

drive by truckers wrote:Bullit was my favorite movie that I’d ever seen
I totaled my go-cart trying to imitate that chase scene
That Duster had six hubcaps, know what I mean?
and I love the way they all flew off when it landed in that ravine
"Wow! They have Nick Cave dolls now?
I waaaant one!"
~Nick Cave Dolls, Bongwater

Ranking Ted

Postby Ranking Ted » 02 Feb 2007, 20:19

The ones that immediately sprung to mind on seeing the thread title were The Bourne Supremacy and The French Connection; both thrilling.

And I always think of the on-foot chase in Point Break ; now there was an awful movie enliven by some decent action.

Billybob Dylan
Bonehead

Postby Billybob Dylan » 02 Feb 2007, 23:08

= marios = wrote:Bullitt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cTU5DRfAuI
a 10 minute clip.
"I've been reduced to thruppence!"

Clippernolan
Maya's Prop

Postby Clippernolan » 06 Feb 2007, 15:29

sloopjohnc wrote:
Groll wrote:Next time you watch Bullit count how many times they pass the same goddam green VW. That spoils it for me.

It's funny because they even pass it outside the city.

What's also funny is how many different parts of the city they go through. By the time they get to No. Brisbane (that's a city) where the car blows up, they woulda gone through a whole tank of gas.

C'mon. It was the 60's. How do you know it was the same one?
Read my blog - The Delete Bin

Kenji
Otaku

Postby Kenji » 06 Feb 2007, 15:38

James R wrote:Oh, and pretty much the whole of Vanishing Point.

I read the thread today for the first time and I was going to post this movie until I read your post!

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 06 Feb 2007, 21:08

James R wrote:The original 1974 Gone In 60 Seconds. A terrible film in so many ways, made by people who'd never made a film before (and who weren't even a real film company; Toby Halicki's own auto yard is listed as the production company, for God's sake) and who often give the impression of having only the barest idea of how to make it, but let's face it, the chase sequence occupies the whole second half of the film and incorporates real car crashes. Just think: if Halicki had had any better idea of what he was doing, he'd probably have kept the chase to about ten minutes.

Agreed. I first saw this on a projector screen tv at a club where Deniz Tek from Radio Birdman and Scott Morgan from the Sonic's Rendezvous band were playing very loud rock'n'roll music. It took me a while to track down the name of the film, and it was a bit of a let down when I finally saw the whole thing, but it's all about the chase scene, isn't it? It's pretty spectacular.
If you've got nothing to do, don't do it here.

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 08 Feb 2007, 02:41

The one in The Seven Ups is very good. It's unusual in that the route is, as I recall, all geographically correct; they don't pass the same place twice or suddenly pop up in a different part of town as they turn a corner.

Plus they filmed some of it on a block I used to live on in The Bronx (well before I lived there, of course, but still...).

I saw the part of Ronin after the car chase on TV over Christmas and yes, the car chase is really all it has going for it.
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 09 Feb 2007, 06:28

Jackie Chan's gotta get a mention here. Mr. Nice Guy has his most over the top chase sequences. Love the one with the horse drawn carriage.
“Remember I have said good things about benevolent despots before.” - Jimbo