Is it really that long ago?

..and why not?
JQW

Is it really that long ago?

Postby JQW » 29 Jan 2007, 23:54

I'm trying to determine when I last visited a cinema.

I've just googled for two of the last films I remember watching in the local cinema, and both were released in 1979, at least in the US! Now our local single-screen flea pit often got films in many months after release, if not longer, so it's possible I may have seen them as late as 1981. The cinema itself was closed sometime in 1982, and I've not been to any other cinema since. However I have seen films shown in other locations since then.

Can anyone beat that?
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. - Bertrand Russell

The Prof
Trading coffee in Abyssinia

Re: Is it really that long ago?

Postby The Prof » 30 Jan 2007, 00:00

JQW wrote:However I have seen films shown in other locations since then.

Would that be on telly, like?

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 30 Jan 2007, 00:01

JQW wrote:I'm trying to determine when I last visited a cinema.

I've just googled for two of the last films I remember watching in the local cinema, and both were released in 1979, at least in the US! Now our local single-screen flea pit often got films in many months after release, if not longer, so it's possible I may have seen them as late as 1981. The cinema itself was closed sometime in 1982, and I've not been to any other cinema since. However I have seen films shown in other locations since then.

Can anyone beat that?

This shouldn't be here, we have separate section now you know -moderator!! :)

I hardly ever go. I really miss it, it's a cliche but you can't beat seeing something on a big screen. There are some films that make double the impact seen this way, you do miss out. But the nearest place to me is some miles away, awkward to get to and is a multiplex showing a very narrow range of films.
To go into London and then pay the entrance to see a film costs me more than buying a DVD, so its understandable why I've fallen out of the habit. I hope one day to live near a decent cinema again

JQW

Postby JQW » 30 Jan 2007, 00:05

The Prof wrote:
JQW wrote:However I have seen films shown in other locations since then.

Would that be on telly, like?

School hall, church building, hotel screening and so on. But not a proper cinema.
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. - Bertrand Russell

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 30 Jan 2007, 00:21

Over the past decade, the US blew up with massive 20, 24, 32 screen theaters. Even my crappy hometown has a five screen theater. They all have "stadium seating" and outrageous sound systems. I like it loud, but I wonder what the older generation must be thinking and almost feel bad for them. Still, sometimes the sound is so loud it becomes a distraction. Of course, that doesn't mean that anything good is showing, but it is a better experience. Actually, there's probably some literature about how the megaplex phenomenon has been bad for the artistic end of the business.

Anyway, I realized a couple of things were either in town for a week or two (Volver) or were about at the end of their run (Departed, Babel) so I've been out quite a bit. I'm a firm believer in seeing movies on the big screen. Even when it costs $7 for the "bargain" matinee.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 30 Jan 2007, 03:26

Baron wrote:Over the past decade, the US blew up with massive 20, 24, 32 screen theaters.

too true.
in the last 6 months, i moved to a neighborhood within walking distance of a good local indie theatre and tower records.
they both closed before year-end.

malls and cineplexes? is that all there is?
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

lemon

Postby lemon » 30 Jan 2007, 04:41

I used to go a lot when I was a student because it was pretty cheap then, about £3.50 in most places. Now however it has gone up in price in general plus not being a student means it costs about £6 to go.

And I still do go, but these days it has to be something I'm fairly keen on seeing. It's probably more like once a month but I still enjoy it and get excited about going again if I haven't for a while.

There will always be something I want to see eventually so I don't really see this stopping unless the state of films in general declines incredibly.

James R
the grocer of despair

Postby James R » 30 Jan 2007, 10:38

By virtue of doing the film show on 2SER, I am constantly having to keep up with new releases, although to be honest if I didn't have that pressure I wouldn't be going to the cinema very often because, frankly, it's getting stupidly expensive. This is why I try to do as much of my big screen viewing at media previews (plus, apart from them being free, you don't have to sit through 20 minutes of ads and trailers at the theatrettes). I otherwise would probably barely go to the cinema at all, and quite often when I do go to the cinema these days it's so I can review a film I didn't get to see at the media previews. Today I went to see The Prestige and it struck me that this was probably the first time in over a year that I'd been to the cinema for the pure pleasure of doing so, not because I had to review the film I was seeing.

Mum and Dad, on the other hand, virtually never go. The last film my Mum saw at the cinema was The Jesus Chainsaw Massacre, which is now what, three years ago. The last one before that was Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, three years before that. Last one before that, Braveheart in 1995. Last one before that, Dances With Wolves, 1991. I don't think my Dad's been to the cinema since Braveheart.
pcqgod wrote:I like how Liebling progresses from a rotting, animated corpse living in his parents' basement to a slightly more life-affirming walking corpse by the end of the movie.

Goat Boy wrote:I recall a midget with large tits dancing.

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 30 Jan 2007, 13:48

goldwax wrote:
count machuki wrote:
Baron wrote:Over the past decade, the US blew up with massive 20, 24, 32 screen theaters.

too true.
in the last 6 months, i moved to a neighborhood within walking distance of a good local indie theatre and tower records.
they both closed before year-end.

malls and cineplexes? is that all there is?

You're forgetting Amazon and Netflix. :wink:

oh, lord.

well, amazon's right out, at least while i'm still a student. and netflix...well, i always forget to send back the damn discs.

my spot for movies is actually a place where i used to work...independant rental store here in atlanta.

http://www.moviesworthseeing.com
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

Chestnuts roasting on an open Fireplug

Postby Chestnuts roasting on an open Fireplug » 30 Jan 2007, 13:52

I go probably twice a month. It's a nice quiet night out with the wife: order tickets online, down to the port on the motorbike, wander along the beach for a bit, meal, movie, home.

That said, I still watch more on DVD. They have cashpoint-style DVD machines in Spain; you have an account and a card, and the shop has a 24hr dispenser on which you can browse and choose your films. They're great.

The Dríver
Hippy Replacement

Postby The Dríver » 30 Jan 2007, 14:16

Went to see Will Smiths Happyness movie just this weekend. Hardly a lndmark movie but entertaining nonetheless.

We generally go to the movies about four or five times a year.
He's a simpleton. 200 years ago they wouldn't have let him milk a cow.

Poppypoobah
Resident Hotty

Postby Poppypoobah » 31 Jan 2007, 09:08

This past summer when I was staying with my folks, I took my son and my nefew to the little local movie theater at least once a week. http://www.bryantheatre.com Looks like they´ve raised the matinee prices from 1.50 to 3.00. I love the whole movie theatre experience, getting a big popcorn and soda, sitting in the dark, I stay until the final credits are over and they bring the house lights up.

Snowdog
Real Doyen
Location: Sitting at the back, looking cool but feeling all alone.

Postby Snowdog » 31 Jan 2007, 18:06

I hate the cinema.

I'd rather wait for the DVD & watch it at home.
"Elements of the past & future, combining to make something not quite as good as either."

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 01 Feb 2007, 00:17

I go maybe once a month. I usually take the kid. we usually spend 18 or 19 dollars on snacks and watch a CGI movie with broad racial stereotypes and we laugh.

now, I didn't always feel this way. I boycotted multiple screen theatres for years. time wasted. I'm glad new technologies have a lot of what I'm about to bitch about on the mend. old habits are hard to break and I will bitch anyway. that's just the sort of fellow I am.

THX ruined the movies. specifically, those tags at the beginning. they fade the lights and they play this REALLY LOUD THX "the audience is listening" trailer. well, I've given this a lot of thought and I think those things are why movie theatres went to hell.

when they started showing those tags, it was to show off the gnarly new state of the art stereo equipment that many theatres were installing for the first time. people were seeing movies in crowds again and it's easier for the movie to be LOUD than it is to tell somebody to shut the fuck up

so, while we were whooping it up to the THX trailer the carbon-arc lights got replaced with big dingy lightbulbs. the reels became bigger and bigger. (this made the picture onscreen 'wobblier') the whole idea of a 'quality presentation' by maybe 89 or 90 was a thing of the past. good thing it was good and fucking loud!!!

so, I'm glad it's getting better because I like going to the movies. I've even gotten to where I like the multiplexes with big old parking lots and places to buy crapola.

I still 'BOO' at the THX trailers and the L.A.Times trailers. If you hear me, come over and say 'hello'!

Return to “Screenadelica”