Which film(s) had the greatest impact on you?

..and why not?
marios

Postby marios » 01 Feb 2007, 22:31

The RightGraduate Profile wrote: Speaking of Omar Sherrif, in later years, he became a superb Bridge player (as in the card game) and my grandfather played against him in a tournament once. I can't remember who won, though.

That's a great story, Matt! :D

I knew he loves cards but couldn't remember which game. I was under the impression he lost a lot of money playing poker, but i could be wrong.

His next role is in a Roland Emmerich film called "10,000 BC", which is "a prehistoric epic that follows a young mammoth hunter's journey through uncharted territory to secure the future of his tribe", tbr 2008. :shock:

kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos

Postby kath » 18 Feb 2007, 16:10

the planet of the apes... may sound silly now, after every kind of sci-fi-ey ironic, dystopian twist has been played into the ground, but when i was six, this movie blew my mind right out of my brainpan. it really did change me. i went off on a whole freaky sci-fi bent that lasted most of my life, the books (asimov, bradbury, huxley, orwell, lovecraft, burgess, clarke, etc), the flicks (would take for too long to list, although someone mentioned the animated fantastic planet, which was wild, in a good way.) it may even be partly responsible for the whole altered-state thing i've loved my whole life, but maybe that's the putting the cart before the pink elephant. ah well. huggggge movie for me.

rocky horror picture show... sure, just see this when yer about eleven and tell me it doesn't warp you for life.

touch of evil, on the waterfront, casablanca, to have and have not... i group these together because these are the movies my ma (may she rest in peace, sniff) used when she wanted to prove to me that "old, crusty boring black-n-white movies" as i called them were anything but. she was right, of course. now i am doing the same thing with my spawn. on a more minor black-n-white note, curse of the demon actually gave my 18-year-old son nightmares. heh. success.

big fish... i can't really explain this one. i saw it right after my ma had a stroke. i sobbed for hours when it ended, and truly, i am not a weepy person by nature. i've never been hit so hard by a movie. not even schindler's list, and that hit me hard. (i still have dreams about what i saw in the holocaust museum.)

kath
and no, i won't go off on pan's labyrinth again.

Return to “Screenadelica”