The Graduate

..and why not?
sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 19 Sep 2006, 06:00

goldwax wrote:If you all don't mind a slight digression, what are your thoughts on The Heartbreak Kid?

I saw it recently and absolutely loved it.

Love it. Richard Benjamin is great (one of the only times he is).
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 19 Sep 2006, 13:41

sloopjohnc wrote:
goldwax wrote:If you all don't mind a slight digression, what are your thoughts on The Heartbreak Kid?

I think his decision not to be in the film was key to your enjoyment of his work in it. :lol:
“Remember I have said good things about benevolent despots before.” - Jimbo

The Write Profile
2017 BCB Cup Champ

Postby The Write Profile » 08 Dec 2006, 09:30

Nice little discussion here, but something to also throw out in the open is a little theory I've got going. As far as 'leading men' go (and I suppose Hoffman is one, despite nominally being a character actor one), was there ever one so passive and neurotic as Hoffman before him? I suppose Jack Lemmon may have had touches of it, but he's always been more commited and fiery (personally, I find Lemmon the more versatile actor, as much as I like Hoffman, but that's for another discussion), whereas Hoffman's performances seem to revolve around a sort of constant ennui. Even in the Graduate, his character is fundamentally repressed, stunted even. Any ideas, or am I being too obtuse?
Last edited by The Write Profile on 08 Dec 2006, 10:40, edited 1 time in total.
It's before my time but I've been told, he never came back from Karangahape Road.

River Man
Beyond Help

Postby River Man » 08 Dec 2006, 09:38

Scally Mcgrew wrote:Never seen it.

Rectify this asap. glorious. A top 5 film of all time. Oh and Katherine Ross is gorgeous.
BCB fop

Limpin' Jez McKenzie
Poptastic

Postby Limpin' Jez McKenzie » 08 Dec 2006, 18:42

I have enjoyed the film , but would not watch it on a regular basis. I saw the stage production a couple of years back (with Anne Archer - the woman who played the killer in Fatal Attraction - in the lead) - it was nothing like as good as the film.
I kept thinking "swim as far as you can, swim as far as you can".

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 09 Dec 2006, 17:49

Dreidel D'Zaftig Boytchik wrote:
sloopjohnc wrote:

I think his decision not to be in the film was key to your enjoyment of his work in it. :lol:

davey's thinking of Goodbye Columbus, yet another late sixties movie about an outsider at university trying to date the blue eyed golden girl. The Graduate seems to have inspired a whole cycle. I actually prefer Goodbye Columbus to The Heartbreak Kid.

Return to “Screenadelica”