Robert Redford -well?

..and why not?
The Modernist

Robert Redford -well?

Postby The Modernist » 07 Sep 2006, 20:41

I'm enjoying all the movie talk tonight. Quite a lot of it has centred on US film of the 70's which naturally got me thinking about that other great star of the seventies Robert Redford. He's a strange case really, he's never attained the kind of iconic cool of a Newman or Mcqueen, yet neither is he regarded as 70's naffness in the manner of a Reynolds.

I don't know what to make of him really. There are plenty of his films I've enjoyed over the years and he's invariably been very good in them all, yet his performances in them never really stand out in a memorable way.
Perhaps it's the Ivy League smoothness but I don't find him a particularly interesting actor to watch.
Of course The Sundance Festival, despite the recent controversies over its corporatisation, has been a massive boon to independent cinema. I also like his meditative, elegaic directing style (paricularly in Milagro Beanfield War and A River Runs Through It) even if he could have a firmer, pacier grip on narrative at times.
But as an actor...what do you think?

Stirling Moss

Postby Stirling Moss » 07 Sep 2006, 20:43

He should never have come back after Electric Horseman (which would have made a great career epitaph).

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 07 Sep 2006, 20:44

Pretty good in 'All The President's Men', and 'The Sting' (altho' it's years since I've seen the latter). But I'd agree in the main, G. His smoothness works against him.

What was that daft thing from about 10 years ago where he's a bored millionaire who offers Demi Moore $1m to sleep with him?

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 07 Sep 2006, 20:51

'Indecent Proposal'?

well, I like the "smoothness" in certain things. you take something like "All the President's Men" or "Three Days of the Condor" and you have good brisk entertainments that are running, and running 'smoothly' on star quality.

I think he's got more range than he's often given credit for. "Downhill Racer" and "The Great Waldo Pepper" come to mind. I like those movies a lot. He took some risks, he had an edge.

I think he still does good work but I maybe agree with the 'Electric Horseman' cutoff date. I think he's still good, it just seems like his time has passed. maybe it's his looks or just something in the nature of the movies.

I think Redford had one HELL of a run.

Ranking Ted

Postby Ranking Ted » 07 Sep 2006, 20:53

'the wee shit' wrote:Pretty good in 'All The President's Men', and 'The Sting' (altho' it's years since I've seen the latter). But I'd agree in the main, G. His smoothness works against him.

What was that daft thing from about 10 years ago where he's a bored millionaire who offers Demi Moore $1m to sleep with him?

Indecent Proposal.

Like most, I like the 70s run - 3 Days of the Condor, All The President's Men, Sundance, Sting, etc - but I agree his All-American, yes, smoothness is a tad characterless, albeit he's never unwatchable. Since that heyday, he's hardly done anything worthy of anyone's time as an actor.

Sneakers was minor league fun, but most of the rest is bland, bombastic nonsense (Out of Africa, Spy Game, Havana, the aforementioned Indecent farrago).

A pity, because he's obviously an astute man and a talented film-maker (although, again, his direction suffers from an overdose of good taste - Quiz Show being the most arresting, for me).

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 07 Sep 2006, 20:53

Oh, I love his films, and his acting style come to think of it.
He was remarkably consistent for a very long time: Barefoot in the Park, Butch Cassidy, The Candidate, Jeremiah Johnson, The Sting, The Way We Were, Three Days of the Condor and All the President's Men were all from his prime (1967-1976) and all are either good or great.

He had a pretty good second act to his career as well with Ordinary People, Brubaker, The Natural and Out of Africa (1980-1985). That's three Best Pictures (more than Newman, McQueen, Pacino, Deniro, Brando, etc.) in all.

I also like the fact that he hasn't had any obvious face work done! :lol:

Quiz Show wasn't bad either and upon occasion I'll even cop to liking Indecent Proposal in a popcorn kinda way.

Stirling Moss

Postby Stirling Moss » 07 Sep 2006, 20:54

Never seen this. Can anyone recommend it?

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 07 Sep 2006, 20:55

I think it's topnotch!
Michael Ritchie!
it's a satire but barely, if you can handle the 70's I highly recommdicate it.
as relevant today as the day it was made!

Stirling Moss

Postby Stirling Moss » 07 Sep 2006, 20:56

Matt Wilson wrote:I'll even cop to liking Indecent Proposal in a popcorn kinda way.

Oh come on Matt - it's an appalling movie. I felt embarrased for the guy. Good job Demi done her turn in her immaculate white underwear. I'd've demanded a refund otherwise

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 07 Sep 2006, 20:58

foxy stoat wrote:
Matt Wilson wrote:I'll even cop to liking Indecent Proposal in a popcorn kinda way.

Oh come on Matt - it's an appalling movie. I felt embarrased for the guy. Good job Demi done her turn in her immaculate white underwear. I'd've demanded a refund otherwise

Well I would never recommend it, that's for sure.
But I was entertained, let's put it that way (even if that part should have been played by Warren Beatty--where's his thread?)

Stirling Moss

Postby Stirling Moss » 07 Sep 2006, 21:00

Sneelock wrote:I think it's topnotch!
Michael Ritchie!

Better than Bulworth?

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 07 Sep 2006, 21:01

foxy stoat wrote:
Sneelock wrote:I think it's topnotch!
Michael Ritchie!

Better than Bulworth?

I hope you're joking.
I like Bulworth!

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 07 Sep 2006, 21:05

I regard Redford among the very best screen actors. You never see him working. He is as natural on camera as any actor has ever been. There is never even a hint of ego in his performances.

As a director and producer I admire him even more. Few filmmakers have his touch for making films that ask substantive moral questions without feeling polemic. His work has an incredible clarity to it in that it is generally accessible to casual moviegoers while remaining challenging for film buffs.

Redford is that rare entity. A popular artist who manages to be both things effortlessly. One of my all-time favorites.
“Remember I have said good things about benevolent despots before.” - Jimbo

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 07 Sep 2006, 21:07

I like Bullworth too!
In 'Bullworth' he tells the truth because he's crazy.
In 'The Candidate' nobody tells the truth because nobody's crazy.

I have a FEW gripes with 'Bullworth' none with 'The Candidate'

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 07 Sep 2006, 21:09

Sneelock wrote:I like Bullworth too!

I like Bullworth too - but it is awfully self-conscious when compared to the Candidate, which is flat out brilliant.

While we are at it, am I the only person in the world who thinks Gatsby was great?

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 07 Sep 2006, 21:13

Davey The Fat Boy wrote:While we are at it, am I the only person in the world who thinks Gatsby was great?

Yes.

It's not a bad film, but "great," no.

If you read the book Gatsby didn't look like Robert Redford at all and making him look like a movie star kind of misses the point.

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 07 Sep 2006, 21:23

Matt Wilson wrote:
Davey The Fat Boy wrote:While we are at it, am I the only person in the world who thinks Gatsby was great?

Yes.

It's not a bad film, but "great," no.

If you read the book Gatsby didn't look like Robert Redford at all and making him look like a movie star kind of misses the point.

Been a while since I read it, but I always pictured Gatsby as having movie star looks. Nick obviously idealizes him, and who was easier to idealize than Robert Redford? Does the book describe Gatsby's appearance in detail? If so, I've forgotten.

I do think it is a great film. I think it is vastly underrated - probably because its source material is so beloved.

Stirling Moss

Postby Stirling Moss » 07 Sep 2006, 21:23

Davey The Fat Boy wrote:
Sneelock wrote:I like Bullworth too!

I like Bullworth too - but it is awfully self-conscious when compared to the Candidate, which is flat out brilliant.

While we are at it, am I the only person in the world who thinks Gatsby was great?

Whoa, you hep cats! I just asked for a comparison: Bulworth vs. Candidate.
I've seen (and liked) the former.
And I've always liked the cut of Warren's gib.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 07 Sep 2006, 21:56

One of my favorite movies of all time is Jeremiah Johnson. Redford inhabits the role like few actors could. Only Eastwood could probably have done it as well. Redford's good looks play into the role about a city feller leaving it all to be a mountain man.

"And they say he's up there still."
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 07 Sep 2006, 21:58

I almost like him enough to forgive The Horse Whisperer.
Jimbo wrote:My point is to save the world from WWIII.

Jimbo wrote:Trump is right. The collusion conspiracy theory has been debunked and you seem to refuse to look at the evidence.

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017 2018 2019?