A great film actor?

..and why not?
Bungo the Mungo

A great film actor?

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 01 Jul 2006, 22:54

Well, why not?

So he's smug, he's got a dull trophy wife, he's more right-wing than Bush, he's appeared in some mindless crap, and he's a bit of a tosser. Probably. Just like Jack Nicholson, right?

He's been great in nearly everything he's done in the last 20 years.

Defend, attack, say you don't care, whatever.

sensi

Postby sensi » 01 Jul 2006, 22:55

He's better...not the best...but better

lemon

Re: A great film actor?

Postby lemon » 01 Jul 2006, 23:02

E sharp on 'Weekend World wrote:Defend, attack, say you don't care, whatever.

He was good in Romancing the Stone. :D

Stat Boy

Postby 010101010101 » 01 Jul 2006, 23:03

sensemeliawopnibop wrote:Image

He's better...not the best...but better

He hasn't quite had a career-definining performance, but he is consistently good in most movies

The Fish
Beer Battered

Postby The Fish » 01 Jul 2006, 23:19

Douglas is OK granted, but most of his roles have been less than challenging. There's nothing he's done that you feel he's put his soul into.

He's probably never made a turkey, but then for me he hasn't had a career defining role either (Gordon Gecko is probably just a bit too close to home).

If you want the best screen actor of the last twenty years or so I'd say Morgan Freeman (or possibly Kevin Spacey/James Woods)
We're way past rhubarb

Django

Postby Django » 01 Jul 2006, 23:34

The thing with Douglas is, he's no great actor, but he does choose excellent projects. There's almost always a little bit of zeitgeist in everything he does. As opposed to, say, De Niro who is unquestionably a finer actor, but will turn up in any old turkey these days as long as there's a cheque in it for him.

Personally, I'm a Gene Hackman fan. A career filled with fine, subtle performances. You ever pick your feet in Poughkeepsie?

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 01 Jul 2006, 23:40

django wrote:The thing with Douglas is, he's no great actor...

I'd dispute that. It's partly why I started the thread. Nobody ever gives him credit, yet most will 'admit' he's a decent enough actor. I think he's really very good. There's a subtlety in a lot of his work that is overshadowed by his more well-known and well-remembered shoutier roles.

django wrote:Personally, I'm a Gene Hackman fan. A career filled with fine, subtle performances. You ever pick your feet in Poughkeepsie?

Ah, well, yes, of course!

And I'm still trying to get hold of 'Scarecrow'...

the masked man
Schadenfreude

Postby the masked man » 01 Jul 2006, 23:42

Of male screen actors in the last 25 years or so, I'd prefer Bill Murray or Bruno Ganz.

Having said that, he was great in "The War Of The Roses". So, maybe he's in the top ten.

Django

Postby Django » 01 Jul 2006, 23:45

E sharp on 'Weekend World wrote:

I'd dispute that. It's partly why I started the thread. Nobody ever gives him credit, yet most will 'admit' he's a decent enough actor. I think he's really very good. There's a subtlety in a lot of his work that is overshadowed by his more well-known and well-remembered shoutier roles.

Yeah, I didn't put that very well. I'm a fan, and I'm pretty much in agreement with you. I just wanted to emphasise how good he is at choosing roles. Wall Street, Fatal Attraction, Falling Down: all, in a way, have a great deal to say about the time in which they were made.

What's Scarecrow?

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 01 Jul 2006, 23:46

Only thing I've ever really liked Douglas in is Wonder Boys. I think generally I just don't like his face, though.
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 01 Jul 2006, 23:54

Penk wrote:Only thing I've ever really liked Douglas in is Wonder Boys. I think generally I just don't like his face, though.

I liked 'Wonder Boys', too.

The man's face is his misfortune. People just don't like him. I think it's a little unfortunate.

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 01 Jul 2006, 23:56

django wrote:What's Scarecrow?

It's a mid-seventies film starring Hackman and Pacino. Supposed to be good, well-nigh impossible to see these days.

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 02 Jul 2006, 00:21

django wrote:What's Scarecrow?

It's a mid-seventies film starring Hackman and Pacino. Supposed to be good, well-nigh impossible to see these days.

It is good, used to on bbc2 every so often
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 02 Jul 2006, 00:24

django wrote:Personally, I'm a Gene Hackman fan. A career filled with fine, subtle performances. You ever pick your feet in Poughkeepsie?

Ah, well, yes, of course!

And I'm still trying to get hold of 'Scarecrow'...

Try here

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000 ... e&n=283926
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

Stat Boy

Postby 010101010101 » 02 Jul 2006, 00:35

I can vouch for Caiman as an Amazon Marketplace seller - I use them on a regular basis, and they have excellent communication and prompt delivery.

Plus they have it for the lowest price (£8.60 inc. delivery)

In fact, I've just bought it.

The Write Profile
2017 BCB Cup Champ

Postby The Write Profile » 02 Jul 2006, 00:36

Just a bit of a digression before we deal with Mr Douglas.

Johnny Depp is a very, very selfish actor, which puts me right off him, if I'm totally honest. With the exception of some Tim Burton films (Ed Wood, Edward Scissorhands), he seems unable to work with the rest of the cast in a manner that suggests he's willing to give other characters/actors room. The dreadful Charlie & The Chocolate Factory is a case in point, too often, his schtick totally overcrowded the picture, it was too deliberately detached for any of the children to workaround. Ironically, that was a Burton film, too, so maybe Tim decided that Depp should be given free reign. In recent times, he's treated his roles as glorified cameos, even when they're the main focus.

Sure, it's understandable for something like Pirates of the Carribean, but I wonder whether he has it in him to tone things down and actually let the character speak for itself, so to speak. There's no denying he's a charismatic presence, but whether he's able to relax a little is another matter entirely. Actually, I'd like him to be a bit more like Matt Dillon, another actor who emerged around the same time as Depp. Admittedly, he probably hasn't had the big roles- though I'd argue he's been willing to do more interesting work, particularly his films with Gus Van Sant- and perhaps has a CV that undersells him somewhat.

However, there's a relaxed, assured, non-overpowering presence to him that suggests that he doesn't need to chew several chunks of scenery just to make a point. This isn't intended to be too big a slight on Depp, he clearly has something, it's just the way he uses it which annoys me.

As for Michael Douglas, I really liked his performance in Traffic, actually. Again, he had the gravitas necessary to convince that he was a powerful political wheel, while also getting his other nuances- his dependance on alcohol, for instance without drawing too much attention to it.

Actually, I want to say something about the "Greed is Good" monologue. I think Stone overdid it (I know, who knew?). It's all the whip-pans and really macho tracking shots that occur during that section, watch it again and count the number of cuts during it. I wonder if it needed a steadier hand on the tiller to really capture its essence- something like the method used for Baldwin's speech during Glengarry Glenn Ross, for instance. That said, it's a superb delivery of the speech, even if it is Stone's usual why hint at the point when a sledgehammer would do style of scriptwriting.
It's before my time but I've been told, he never came back from Karangahape Road.

Muskrat
World's Foremost Authority
Location: Next to the park; across the street from the college; and the freeway at my back

Postby Muskrat » 02 Jul 2006, 03:43

Haven't seen Don Juan DiMarco, have you? Guy holds his own against Brando, and they're both in fine comic form.

Who stopped my avatar?
Things that a fella can't forget...

Lord Rother wrote: I’m with Googs.

The Write Profile
2017 BCB Cup Champ

Postby The Write Profile » 02 Jul 2006, 03:49

Muskrat wrote:Haven't seen Don Juan DiMarco, have you? Guy holds his own against Brando, and they're both in fine comic form.

Who stopped my avatar?

No I haven't, if I'm honest. I'm not denying Depp's talent, I just think he's prone to being very hammy even when the situation requires something else. Mind you, holding your own against a mid-90s Brando probably is damning one with faint praise sadly. I think the next film Brando was in after that was The Island of Dr. Moreau, where he's at once utterly brilliant and totally useless, often in the same scene :lol:

But I should rent it sometime, as it's meant to be quite fun.

But enough about Mr Depp...:-)
It's before my time but I've been told, he never came back from Karangahape Road.

nathan
submitted for your approval

Re: A great film actor?

Postby nathan » 02 Jul 2006, 05:27

E sharp on 'Weekend World wrote:He's been great in nearly everything he's done in the last 20 years.

Wall Street
War Of the Roses
Falling Down
The American President
Wonder Boys
Traffic

All good roles but for each listed there is also an incredibly bad one too. Ever see the remake of the In-Laws? :(

But he is one of my favorites too.

Muskrat
World's Foremost Authority
Location: Next to the park; across the street from the college; and the freeway at my back

Postby Muskrat » 02 Jul 2006, 06:13

The Right Scarfie Profile wrote:
Muskrat wrote:Haven't seen Don Juan DiMarco, have you? Guy holds his own against Brando, and they're both in fine comic form.

No I haven't, if I'm honest. I'm not denying Depp's talent, I just think he's prone to being very hammy even when the situation requires something else. Mind you, holding your own against a mid-90s Brando probably is damning one with faint praise sadly. I think the next film Brando was in after that was The Island of Dr. Moreau, where he's at once utterly brilliant and totally useless, often in the same scene :lol:

But I should rent it sometime, as it's meant to be quite fun.

"Hammy" doesn't begin to describe Depp in this one; Brando's quite restrained. And yes, it is a great deal of fun. See it with someone you('d like to) love.
Things that a fella can't forget...

Lord Rother wrote: I’m with Googs.

Return to “Screenadelica”