"End of Watch" (2012)

..and why not?
GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

"End of Watch" (2012)

Postby GoogaMooga » 28 May 2020, 22:20

NOW STREAMING: "End of Watch" (2012) is one of the best cop movies to come along this past decade. In fact, I haven't been so thrilled since I saw "Colors", Dennis Hopper's 1988 tribute to the LAPD cops on patrol. These cops are men (and women) of honor, who put their lives on the line every day in the face of impossible odds. David Ayer knows his stuff (he grew up in South Central) and only two films in he has proved to be a director of considerable talent, a director with a sense of purpose. "End of Watch" is a timely update on "Colors", a fast-paced buddy movie that shows the hard professionalism and the extraordinary courage that is required to patrol the rough Newton neighborhood of South Central, a war zone where rival drug cartels fight their fights and spray their bullets with incredible brutality. The police officers are very street in their attitude and in the way they talk, affected as they are by their years on the beat. They are also thrill-seekers who, if it weren't for their badges, you could easily picture in a drunken brawl. What sets these cops apart from the gangs, then, is their sense of justice, their moral code, their dedication to serve and protect and to look out for one another. They are willing to face fear so the citizens of LA won't have to, willing to police violence with violence. Had "End of Watch" just been all-out action it would have been a hackneyed affair, but the bonding of the two partners (Jake Gyllenhaal and Michael Peña), their macho banter, and their unwavering loyalty to each other, such is the stuff that makes them the sort of guys that would always have your back, guys whom you could fight with and laugh with, in a genre exercise that never lets up. Contrast their sense of brotherhood with the gangster code of conduct, a brutal hierarchy where intimidation gets respect and the strongest is always right, and you just know you'll be rooting for the good guys.

"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Re: "End of Watch" (2012)

Postby The Modernist » 04 Jun 2020, 18:19

I thought it was terrible. I gave up on it after 45 minutes.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 04 Jun 2020, 18:25

GoogaMooga wrote:. These cops are men (and women) of honor, who put their lives on the line every day in the face of impossible odds.on the beat.

Not the best time to be coming out with this sort of line Googs.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 05 Jun 2020, 06:39

The Modernist wrote:
GoogaMooga wrote:. These cops are men (and women) of honor, who put their lives on the line every day in the face of impossible odds.on the beat.

Not the best time to be coming out with this sort of line Googs.

But I posted this nine days ago, before the riots and protests in America. I did not know what was to come.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 05 Jun 2020, 06:41

The Modernist wrote:I thought it was terrible. I gave up on it after 45 minutes.

What was so bad about it?

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 07 Jun 2020, 10:06

I did write a review of it on here where I gave my negative response to the film. But I can't find it at all now.
But from what I remember the two main characters spent the whole time swearing and swinging their dicks at each other. I found them both boring and boorish and had no desire to spend an entire movie with them. Add to that the gimmicky direction ( everything is filmed on a shaken phone type camera) which was distracting and off-putting and you have a film that was, for me, all but unwatchable.

Ultimately the things you've bought into - it's glorification of macho US cop culture - are the very things I disliked about it.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 07 Jun 2020, 11:58

I find it a little bit odd to dismiss a film because you don't like the characters. That would exclude many interesting films. I would not know how to hang out with those guys either, but the film does a good job showing what it takes to get the job done. Macho cop culture is exactly what is required to meet the gangsters at their own level. You can't be namby-pamby about it. The gangsters don't readily sit down for what we in Danish call "dialogue coffee".

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 09 Jun 2020, 09:37

GoogaMooga wrote:I find it a little bit odd to dismiss a film because you don't like the characters. That would exclude many interesting films. I would not know how to hang out with those guys either, but the film does a good job showing what it takes to get the job done. Macho cop culture is exactly what is required to meet the gangsters at their own level. You can't be namby-pamby about it. The gangsters don't readily sit down for what we in Danish call "dialogue coffee".

I don't have to like the characters in a film, but I do have to find them interesting, otherwise what's the point?
As to your second point, let's just say I find it simplistic and leave it there.