Streaming sucks and the DVD will rise again

..and why not?
GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Streaming sucks and the DVD will rise again

Postby GoogaMooga » 24 Dec 2019, 23:09

I am getting rid of a whole bunch of streaming channels. Found I was searching endlessly in vain, trying to find something watchable among all the vacuous newies. So boring. Waste of money. I am only keeping Netflix for now, and that's because of the music dox. When you compare sites, it is just more of the same, and should you be lucky enough to find a title of value, it's on for a limited time only. People are waking up to the fact that streaming is not so hot after all. Watch the DVD make a comeback, supplemented by Blu.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Re: Streaming sucks and the DVD will rise again

Postby Matt Wilson » 25 Dec 2019, 22:58

I doubt physical media will make a comeback anytime soon, if at all. People really don't care about the visual or sound quality and are perfectly happy to watch movies on their phones, computers, etc. I don't buy nearly the blus that I used to, but I'm happy with what I've got.

Lord Rother
Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Postby Lord Rother » 26 Dec 2019, 08:38

Yeah, and we’ll be back to just the 4 terrestrial channels soon.

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 31 Dec 2019, 09:45

To an extent I think there is something in this - that the sudden proliferation of competing streaming services will actually be counterproductive to overall streaming, because they are taking content away from each other and it becomes far too expensive to have multiple services. I have Netflix but there's simply no way I'm going to sign on to Disney, BFI, Hulu, Shudder, Amazon, Apple and all the other services - and yet I do want pieces of what they offer - unless they in the future band together and offer some supremely discounted combined offering. I doubt I'll go back too much to DVDs/blurays - but I may more and more go for online purchasing/rental of TV-series and movies through Apple or Amazon...but they are blocking a lot of each other's content which is deeply frustrating. I've never quite understood how/why Apple's online store was so terrible - they have all the money in the world, and yet have such a horribly limited range of TV/movies (and poor interface).
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

The Prof
Trading coffee in Abyssinia

Postby The Prof » 31 Dec 2019, 17:33

There’s only so many Lps CDs and DVDs you can have in your house so online storage would make more sense as well as having a much smaller carbon footprint.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 31 Dec 2019, 23:23

The Prof wrote:There’s only so many Lps CDs and DVDs you can have in your house so online storage would make more sense as well as having a much smaller carbon footprint.

True, but we are not there yet, and I doubt we ever will. Nothing is permanent on streaming.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

The Prof
Trading coffee in Abyssinia

Postby The Prof » 02 Jan 2020, 10:44

Streaming is permanent as long the owner wants to make it so. CDs DVDs tapes all deteriorate over time, hard-drives fail so I'm not sure that's an compelling argument.
The issue of not owning anything physical is both good and bad to me (and it makes sense for them to die out) There will still be the odd cassette enthusiasts in 10 years time though

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 02 Jan 2020, 11:30

Matt Wilson wrote:I doubt physical media will make a comeback anytime soon, if at all. People really don't care about the visual or sound quality and are perfectly happy to watch movies on their phones, computers, etc. I don't buy nearly the blus that I used to, but I'm happy with what I've got.

Yeah people don't want the physical objects cluttering up their living space.
I find Netflix quite difficult to use though, you have to wade through a lot of mediocrity to find anything good.

Powehi

Postby Powehi » 02 Jan 2020, 11:50

Geezee wrote:To an extent I think there is something in this - that the sudden proliferation of competing streaming services will actually be counterproductive to overall streaming, because they are taking content away from each other and it becomes far too expensive to have multiple services. I have Netflix but there's simply no way I'm going to sign on to Disney, BFI, Hulu, Shudder, Amazon, Apple and all the other services - and yet I do want pieces of what they offer - unless they in the future band together and offer some supremely discounted combined offering. I doubt I'll go back too much to DVDs/blurays - but I may more and more go for online purchasing/rental of TV-series and movies through Apple or Amazon...but they are blocking a lot of each other's content which is deeply frustrating. I've never quite understood how/why Apple's online store was so terrible - they have all the money in the world, and yet have such a horribly limited range of TV/movies (and poor interface).

The best thing about streaming is being able to dip in for a month and then switch to an alternative provider. That said, think the thinner spreading of shows is going to cause a few of the newbie streaming services to go to the wall pretty damn quick. Some of the best streaming sites are free to air - All 4, Walter Presents and bits of the BFI - so hope they survive the fall out.

Of the current crop, Netflix is still waaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyy out in front in terms of quality (shows like Ozark, Stranger Things, etc, plus films like The Irishman and Marriage Story). Even with the loss of BBC and Marvel stuff, its like-clockwork regularity of new additions/updates means it's worth about four to six individual months memberships a year.

Amazon Prime (at least the version of it I get) is pretty meh. Couple of good original shows (Bosch, Expanse, Patriot, Goliath) but a bit slow and stingy on the update front. A couple of months' individual memberships a year tops.

Can't really see myself subscribing to Apple or Disney. While Britbox must have a vast back catalogue of stuff from BBC, ITV and Channel 4, not sure how much is up there. Also seems solely to be aimed at viewers outside the UK.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 02 Jan 2020, 12:58

The Modernist wrote:I find Netflix quite difficult to use though, you have to wade through a lot of mediocrity to find anything good.

Yes, on most sites I spend more time searching in vain than watching an actual film. Terribly annoying.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 02 Jan 2020, 12:59

The Prof wrote:Streaming is permanent as long the owner wants to make it so.

Some home-burnt DVD-Rs fail after even a few years. DVDs have lasted over 20 years so far. Best is Blu. Well, there is 4K, but they'll never amass the library needed to entice us.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 02 Jan 2020, 13:01

Powehi, what bits of BFI are free? I wanted to subscribe to it all, but don't have a UK address.

Powehi

Postby Powehi » 02 Jan 2020, 16:48

GoogaMooga wrote:Powehi, what bits of BFI are free? I wanted to subscribe to it all, but don't have a UK address.

https://player.bfi.org.uk/free

The main bit is only UK£4.99 per month

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 02 Jan 2020, 18:01

Thanks! :)