What book would you like to be made into a movie?

..and why not?
Flower

What book would you like to be made into a movie?

Postby Flower » 18 Oct 2019, 22:32

I don't know if this has been done before. Please forgive me if it has but ... Oh well.

What books or book series would you like to see turned into a movie, movies or television series of some sort.

There have been rumors for a long time that Daniel Silva's Gabriel Allon books might be turned into a flick or two but so far nothing.

I think that Carl Hiaasen's books would make entertaining flicks, so far there's only been Striptease.

Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum would make a fun to watch television series.
If love could've saved you, you would've lived forever.

Sneelock

Re: What book would you like to be made into a movie?

Postby Sneelock » 18 Oct 2019, 22:49

George McDonald Fraser's "Flashman" books!
there was Richard Lester's "Royal Flash" in the 70's and it was actually pretty good.
still, the beauty of the material (for me) is that this scoundrel manages to be at most of the pivotal historical moments of his century.
I always figured somebody would do a series but it hasn't happened yet.

same with Chester Himes "Coffin Ed Johnson/Gravedigger Jones" mysteries. those things would make a KICKASS HBO series. Coffin Ed gets all radicalized towards the end of the series - I'd love to see that in a movie. I liked the ones that Ossie Davis directed in the seventies but they don't really capture the straight ahead hard boiled vibe of the novels.
uggy poopy doody.

Lord Rother
Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Postby Lord Rother » 19 Oct 2019, 10:50

JN Stroyar’s The Children’s War (and 2 sequels) would make a brilliant and epic TV series which could carry on for years.

(My favourite books.)

Flower

Postby Flower » 19 Oct 2019, 17:06

I really enjoy Martin Cruz Smith's Arkady Renko series ... The first book in the series was "Gorky Park" which was turned into a pretty good flick but to my knowledge, none of the following books have been made into movies or mini series. I have his latest book "The Siberian Dilemma" on hold and hope that it comes in soon.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 24 Oct 2019, 18:29

I've always thought that Truman Capote's novella "Hand Carved Coffins" would make a wonderful movie. people receive little coffins in the mail and then die for easily explained reasons. the famous writer is suspicious of people who are above suspicion. it wouldn't be commercial but it could be artsy as hell and I'm sure lots of actors would like to take a crack at Truman.

they made a very entertaining movie of Nelson Algren's "Walk on the Wild Side" but it really didn't have a whole lot to do with the novel. It did some key scenes well (the cripple beating the snot out of our hero for example) but I think the casting and the tone really miss the sweep of the material.

I see a big screen, old fashioned approach which would, of course, be somewhat at odds with the underbelly type material. still, I think what's marvelous about the bookis that in Algren's language and his point of view these people aren't scumbag losers, not all of them. they are victims of circumstance. survivors. I think I just talked myself into reading it again since I doubt they'll ever make that movie.

if you've never seen the Ed Dmytryk movie - Jane Fonda is a TOTAL babe in that movie and Barbara Stanwyck is as butch as they'd allow a famous actress to be in those days. entertaining but in a campy sort of way. I think Terrence Malick or somebody like that should take a crack at it.
uggy poopy doody.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 25 Oct 2019, 09:53

The Oxford English Dictionary.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

`

Postby ` » 25 Oct 2019, 11:40

Darkness_Fish wrote:The Oxford English Dictionary.

Words cannot begin to desrcribe the boldness of your choice

Flower

Postby Flower » 25 Oct 2019, 11:53

Darkness_Fish wrote:The Oxford English Dictionary.

It was done in 2013 and they are now working on the sequel .. coming out in 2020, to be called ... Dic 2! :D

Return to “Screenadelica”