Criterion celebrates its 1,000th release

..and why not?
GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Criterion celebrates its 1,000th release

Postby GoogaMooga » 26 Jul 2019, 17:08

Criterion: the label for movie lovers and connoisseurs. Their DVDs and Blu's are not cheap - often double of other labels' releases. But the extras, the transfers, the mastering, all you could ask for and more. Now they are celebrating their 1,000th release: Godzilla: The Showa-Era Films, 1954–1975

I've already got a Danish Gojira box, but as with any Criterion release, the extras and the sheer scale of this thing are so tempting. Even if I could afford it, I wouldn't get all 1,000 releases - but if I did, I'd have a pretty solid film library right there.

What are your experiences with Criterion? Favorites, any stories?

from polygon.com:

This fall, Criterion will release a Blu-ray collector’s set of all the Godzilla films from Japan’s Shōwa era (1954-1975). That’s 15 films — Godzilla (1954), Godzilla Raids Again (1955), King Kong vs. Godzilla (1963), Mothra vs. Godzilla (1964), Ghidorah, the Three-Headed Monster (1964), Invasion of Astro-Monster (1965), Ebirah, Horror of the Deep (1966), Son of Godzilla (1967), Destroy All Monsters (1968), All Monsters Attack (1969), Godzilla vs. Hedorah (1971, Godzilla vs. Gigan (1972), Godzilla vs. Megalon (1973), Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla (1974), and Terror of Mechagodzilla (1975) — presented with HD digital transfers.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Sneelock

Re: Criterion celebrates its 1,000th release

Postby Sneelock » 27 Jul 2019, 00:19

I saw "Destroy All Monsters" in movie theaters when it was new. they did all this TV and radio advertising like it was an all-star cast & of course it WAS an all-star cast. us kids were absolutely drooling to see it. well, it delivered. sure, we knew it looked pretty fake but it had all the rubber monster stars it advertised and we could gulp down our movie snacks without worrying too much about the plot.

good times. that's a really nice package!
Björk says we all need to get off Facebook and go for a walk.
https://i-d.vice.com/en_us/article/mbva ... q097SIBlf4

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Re: Criterion celebrates its 1,000th release

Postby GoogaMooga » 27 Jul 2019, 02:47

Sneelock wrote:I saw "Destroy All Monsters" in movie theaters when it was new. they did all this TV and radio advertising like it was an all-star cast & of course it WAS an all-star cast. us kids were absolutely drooling to see it. well, it delivered. sure, we knew it looked pretty fake but it had all the rubber monster stars it advertised and we could gulp down our movie snacks without worrying too much about the plot.

good times. that's a really nice package!

Know what you mean. Mindless fun. Love when the plot takes a backseat.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck