"The Looming Tower" and "Summer Of Rockets"

..and why not?
User avatar
Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.
Posts: 68182
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:04
Location: High On Poachers Hill

"The Looming Tower" and "Summer Of Rockets"

Postby Diamond Dog » 04 Jun 2019, 12:15

Just watched 1-6 (of 10) of this :

Image

It's a good overview of Al-Qaeda's rise right back to the formation of Israel up to 9/11, but does anyone else find the rather one dimensional characters somewhat unbelievable?

Just watched all of this over the weekend too :

Image

Which I found captivating, with the cross/double cross storyline and great acting by all of the cast.
To sleep, perchance to dream- ay, there's the rub
I don't like that man. I must get to know him better.
The fashion of passion i rationed with caution because of the notion the potion of passion had never been passed to me

User avatar
Jeemo
Posts: 20918
Joined: 21 Jul 2003, 23:17
Location: ????

Re: "The Looming Tower" and "Summer Of Rockets"

Postby Jeemo » 04 Jun 2019, 21:42

Watched The Looming Tower, thought it was excellent. The Jeff Daniels character was pretty much accurate according to what I read afterwards.
Image So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

User avatar
Fonz
Posts: 3803
Joined: 17 Feb 2014, 14:10
Location: Nevermore

Re: "The Looming Tower" and "Summer Of Rockets"

Postby Fonz » 05 Jun 2019, 09:09

Jeemo wrote:Watched The Looming Tower, thought it was excellent. The Jeff Daniels character was pretty much accurate according to what I read afterwards.


I enjoyed it, but FFS, what a cynical picture it portrayed.
Not really surprising, but it just makes you wonder at how things could have been different.

Has anyone read the book? I have it on my kindle, but don't know if it's worth reading, having seen the tv show.
Heyyyy!

"Fonz clearly has no fucks to give. I like the cut of his Cupicidal gib."

User avatar
Samoan
Posts: 10663
Joined: 28 May 2008, 10:22

Re: "The Looming Tower" and "Summer Of Rockets"

Postby Samoan » 05 Jun 2019, 11:38

I knew just by clocking the title that Summer of Rockets would be a Stephen Poliakoff offering.
Sadly, he's never matched his earlier masterpiece, Shooting the Past (1999) - Do see it if you have the opportunity.
I can't watch anything with Keeley Hawes in - she gives me the pip - which is a shame as he's assembled other great actors for the series.

User avatar
The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!
Posts: 13454
Joined: 13 Apr 2014, 20:42

Re: "The Looming Tower" and "Summer Of Rockets"

Postby The Modernist » 05 Jun 2019, 12:17

I did begin with "The Looming Tower" and watched four or five episodes.
Fascinating subject matter and some scenes were gripping and tense ( there was a great scene where the officer lulled a suspect into giving him the crucial information), however it seemed really padded out and there were too many unnecessary distractions from the main theme and plot. In particular it devoted lots of time to the love lives of the main characters -this wasn't interesting at all and felt like trying to give it a soapy appeal.
Shame, it could've been a terrific four parter.
I'd probably be interested in reading the book though.

User avatar
Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.
Posts: 68182
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:04
Location: High On Poachers Hill

Re: "The Looming Tower" and "Summer Of Rockets"

Postby Diamond Dog » 05 Jun 2019, 13:11

Jeemo wrote:Watched The Looming Tower, thought it was excellent. The Jeff Daniels character was pretty much accurate according to what I read afterwards.


That was O'Neill, the FBI guy wasn't it? His character was so ridiculously OTT (James Bond on steroids) I figured it just had to be true.
Last edited by Diamond Dog on 05 Jun 2019, 18:26, edited 1 time in total.
To sleep, perchance to dream- ay, there's the rub
I don't like that man. I must get to know him better.
The fashion of passion i rationed with caution because of the notion the potion of passion had never been passed to me

User avatar
Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.
Posts: 68182
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:04
Location: High On Poachers Hill

Re: "The Looming Tower" and "Summer Of Rockets"

Postby Diamond Dog » 05 Jun 2019, 13:48

Samoan wrote:I knew just by clocking the title that Summer of Rockets would be a Stephen Poliakoff offering.
Sadly, he's never matched his earlier masterpiece, Shooting the Past (1999) - Do see it if you have the opportunity.
I can't watch anything with Keeley Hawes in - she gives me the pip - which is a shame as he's assembled other great actors for the series.


I shall look out for Shooting The Past thank you.

Keeley Hawes was excellent in this though.... in fact the whole of the cast were. Strange how some people just never gel/connect with people - we all have those.
To sleep, perchance to dream- ay, there's the rub
I don't like that man. I must get to know him better.
The fashion of passion i rationed with caution because of the notion the potion of passion had never been passed to me

User avatar
Jeemo
Posts: 20918
Joined: 21 Jul 2003, 23:17
Location: ????

Re: "The Looming Tower" and "Summer Of Rockets"

Postby Jeemo » 05 Jun 2019, 16:33

Diamond Dog wrote:
Jeemo wrote:Watched The Looming Tower, thought it was excellent. The Jeff Daniels character was pretty much accurate according to what I read afterwards.


That was O'Neill, the FBI guy wasn't it? His character was so ridiculously OTT (Janes Bond on steroids) I figured it just had to be true.



The names Bond, Janes Bond :lol:
Image So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

User avatar
Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.
Posts: 68182
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:04
Location: High On Poachers Hill

Re: "The Looming Tower" and "Summer Of Rockets"

Postby Diamond Dog » 05 Jun 2019, 18:25

I shall correct! lol
To sleep, perchance to dream- ay, there's the rub
I don't like that man. I must get to know him better.
The fashion of passion i rationed with caution because of the notion the potion of passion had never been passed to me

User avatar
mentalist (slight return)
under mi sensi
Posts: 14546
Joined: 17 Jul 2003, 10:54
Location: Sydney
Contact:

Re: "The Looming Tower" and "Summer Of Rockets"

Postby mentalist (slight return) » 06 Jun 2019, 04:42

It's a great book Looming Tower. The book is non-fiction btw. But I think it's more based on Steve Coll's Ghost Wars, also non-fiction. The characters are sometimes fictionalised, sometimes not, but the issue being made about the damaging competition between US security services leading to 911 is one of many that the book covers.
king of the divan

User avatar
The Prof
Composing a revolutionary symphony
Posts: 45458
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 18:32
Location: A Metropolis of Discontent

Re: "The Looming Tower" and "Summer Of Rockets"

Postby The Prof » 06 Jun 2019, 10:30

I saw The LoomingTower when it was first on and even though it's a TV drama and, I believe, some of the characters are combined and even invented the whole narrative seemed credible. it was incompetence and lack of communication that allowed it all to play out. I've no doubt that the 'truthers' will see it as a load of bollocks and explosives were planted in the buildings on every floor before 9/11.

Summer of Rockets, I enjoyed too. I did wonder how it was going to all tie up at the end. I won't spoil it but I'm not sure it did.

Powehi
Posts: 874
Joined: 25 Aug 2016, 17:12

Re: "The Looming Tower" and "Summer Of Rockets"

Postby Powehi » 06 Jun 2019, 15:34

mentalist (slight return) wrote:It's a great book Looming Tower. The book is non-fiction btw. But I think it's more based on Steve Coll's Ghost Wars, also non-fiction. The characters are sometimes fictionalised, sometimes not, but the issue being made about the damaging competition between US security services leading to 911 is one of many that the book covers.


The book was very, very good indeed. While good, the series which I saw on Amazon about a year ago doesn't really compare due to the fact that so much stuff obviuosly had to be cut out in order to keep the drama flowing.

User avatar
Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.
Posts: 68182
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:04
Location: High On Poachers Hill

Re: "The Looming Tower" and "Summer Of Rockets"

Postby Diamond Dog » 06 Jun 2019, 16:50

The Prof wrote:Summer of Rockets, I enjoyed too. I did wonder how it was going to all tie up at the end. I won't spoil it but I'm not sure it did.


Ah good... I thought that was just me... as you say.. the whole thing reached a conclusion that was settled just a little too easily. I thought.
To sleep, perchance to dream- ay, there's the rub
I don't like that man. I must get to know him better.
The fashion of passion i rationed with caution because of the notion the potion of passion had never been passed to me

User avatar
borofan
Posts: 3202
Joined: 29 Jul 2003, 21:17
Location: Lost in translation

Re: "The Looming Tower" and "Summer Of Rockets"

Postby borofan » 06 Jun 2019, 18:43

Diamond Dog wrote:
The Prof wrote:Summer of Rockets, I enjoyed too. I did wonder how it was going to all tie up at the end. I won't spoil it but I'm not sure it did.


Ah good... I thought that was just me... as you say.. the whole thing reached a conclusion that was settled just a little too easily. I thought.

Never been able to get away with Poliakoff. Always strikes me as pretentious and overblown. Baffles me that the BBC have indulged him with huge budgets for all these years, when he consistently produced such empty nonsense.
We're usually skipping around the function room in our long-johns by now...