But what I really want to do is direct

..and why not?
GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

But what I really want to do is direct

Postby GoogaMooga » 19 Jan 2019, 02:44

As late as 1987/88 I seriously considered Super 8, to become an underground filmmaker. I told one of my teachers if only I could make a feature on Super 8 and blow it up to 16, I could be going places! Ha! I was going nowhere in a hurry. I wanted to do underground, or "ungra", as the Japanese call it. Not low budget, but rather, no budget, pushing boundaries, being subversive - or even formless. George Kuchar was my hero; his stuff from the 60s and 70s was so inventive, so funny, drawing on B-movies and melodrama, for radical social critique. He later sold out and used Hi8 video, the traitor! What really matters is the Super 8 stuff, edit in camera, or careful cutting as the positive is also your negative, if you know what I mean. Can't do it over, so be sure to know what you want - EXACTLY what you want.

"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Quaco
F R double E

Re: But what I really want to do is direct

Postby Quaco » 19 Jan 2019, 03:47

Did you ever complete any projects? (Can't tell from the post.) Maybe digitize them and upload them to YouTube. I'd be interested to see them.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 19 Jan 2019, 04:07

Quaco wrote:Did you ever complete any projects? (Can't tell from the post.) Maybe digitize them and upload them to YouTube. I'd be interested to see them.

After film school, I made three dox on 16mm, but they are on film only, no plans to go youtube, sorry. :)
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 19 Jan 2019, 19:03

GoogaMooga wrote:
Quaco wrote:Did you ever complete any projects? (Can't tell from the post.) Maybe digitize them and upload them to YouTube. I'd be interested to see them.

After film school, I made three dox on 16mm, but they are on film only, no plans to go youtube, sorry. :)

Why not?

Without seeing them, it's hard to comment further on this thread...
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 19 Jan 2019, 19:51

Well, the thread was meant as a general thread on underground filmmaking, drawing on my own experience and using Kuchar as an example. You don't have to comment necessarily, I just made some observations. If I were to discuss anything, it would be along the lines of youthful ambition, realistic prospects, formats, budgeting, etc.

ConnyOlivetti
Probing The Sonic Heritage

Postby ConnyOlivetti » 24 Jan 2019, 07:48

Kodak is bringing the super-8 back this year!
New cameras and films!
The sound is recorded on a sd-card inthe camera
You send in the film with the sd and they develope it and sync the sound
You get the film and a download link for a hi-rez digital file
Cool!

https://www.kodak.com/us/en/consumer/pr ... efault.htm
Charlie O. wrote:I think Coan and Googa are right.

Un enfant dans electronica!
Je suis!

Return to “Screenadelica”