The greater the selection, the less I watch

..and why not?
Ghost of Harry Smith

Re: The greater the selection, the less I watch

Postby Ghost of Harry Smith » 20 Oct 2018, 22:13

This recent study argues that humans have always had terrible attention spans and that this is an evolutionary trait. I don’t know though, it certainly feels like my focus flits too easily away these days. I have to stop myself from track skipping when listening on my iPhone...it’s just next, next, next.
https://theoutline.com/post/5969/we-nev ... i=74zn2hbm

Maybe that’s why I play mostly records these days, to force myself to hear a whole side at least before moving on.

I don’t use Netflix or Amazon Prime, partly because my internet reception is a bit shit, partly because I live next to a public library that has lots of new release DVDs and box sets. So I watch those still. And I think that manual process stops me from just flicking on to the next thing so readily.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 20 Oct 2018, 22:37

My problem with library DVD's was that you'd have to check them out really fast, as they'd be scratched and unplayable after several loans.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Ghost of Harry Smith

Postby Ghost of Harry Smith » 20 Oct 2018, 23:30

GoogaMooga wrote:My problem with library DVD's was that you'd have to check them out really fast, as they'd be scratched and unplayable after several loans.

Yeah I hear you, my blu-ray player seems quite forgiving of scratches though. And now I’ve gotten into the habit of reserving new titles before they arrive so they’re still in good nick. And they’re free to borrow so if they do get stuck, it hasn’t cost me anything.

But my mind does boggle at the damage some people do to library discs. I mean how hard is it to just put them back in the case afterwards?

Return to “Screenadelica”